Drivers side wiper

eye30 · 9 · 2763

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
After 5 years the blade rubber has started to come away and i can see it won't be too long until it breaks aways from the rest of the rubber.

The wiper i have and presume all the same, the rubber is not a replacement only part so full unit will have to be bought.

Before i buy the full unit, rubber blade and housing, has anyone been able to just replace the rubber?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline chris_i30gd

• 3rd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
Yes I have replaced all the rubbers of all wipers of my i30 gd 2 months ago. (2 front and 1 back)
I am not expert at all and it was  easy. It cost me 3 euro for changing  all.
Is a 10 min work. The back was more difficult. It is working perfectly and silently as before.

You remove the wiper from the car so you can work with the wiper. The rubber is removable
There are many videos online that shows the procedure like this:

I bought  rubber by chance from a stock super market and they works perfectly.

Working great after 2 months :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 13:31:18 by chris_i30gd »
  • hyundai i30 1.4 crdi 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi mate,   :) 5 years is a good trot!

The rubber sits in a stiff plastic base held in by a small chip at one end. It just slides in and out of the metal holder.
You will find new ones at your Supercheap type parts store. Just check the width of the plastic base, there are two sizes 6mm and 8mm from memory.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
chris is showing a slightly different style, that may be what you have in Europe. Same deal, easy as.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Only 5 years ? Good effort. The moment mine don't wipe clean , they're gone. Lucky if I get 2 years,

On my FD I have the traditional framed heads but I'm guessing this is a GD.

Is this the style

OEM could be  98360A5900 for the Driver side. 10 GBP on EBay I saw one

Insert , 983613X100

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The other option is to replace with some flex blade wipers, much better imo though they were a little more costly at $40 for the pair.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok it seems buying just the refill for the wiper on the gd is a no no.

It is held in place by the bottom guide hooks which fit into 2 cut outs on the refill.

I got the blade out by pushing the rubber and forcing the blade guiders out.

Been to 4 motor factors this morning and at each they only have the generic refills which due to the fitting are not suitable.
A metal hook which springs and would  hooks into i presume a receiving socket on the wiper arm.

Each factors offered me a complete unit ranging from £9,50 to £17.95, depending on make and style.

At the last factors who appeared to know his stuff more than the others, said that the wiper was vehicle specific and they do not have refills.

They offered me the Bosch aero twin blade at £13 so just bought it as it matches the passenger one i bought a few months ago for the MOT.

Original showing cut out

New unit

Old and new unit

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The other option is to replace with some flex blade wipers, much better imo though they were a little more costly at $40 for the pair.

No $20.... Lester only wants to replace the one in front of him  :whistler:

It's the frugal Pom thing. I knew of one in NZ, he only polished the car bonnet because that was all he would see.  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

No $20.... Lester only wants to replace the one in front of him  :whistler:

It's the frugal Pom thing. I knew of one in NZ, he only polished the car bonnet because that was all he would see.  :whistler:

Replaced passenger side few months ago for mot so the passenger could see where i was going............

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal