i30 Owners Club

Help: Need to remove badges stuck on by previous owner

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Hi, recently got the keys to my first Hyundai and am absolutely loving it so far apart from one thing.

The previous owner has stuck naff little Porsche style turbo badges next to the rear wheels below the rear doors on either side of the car. The car itself is an excellent condition example of an i30 Turbo but these badges do absolutely nothing for the appearance and annoy me every time I walk up to the car.

I am hoping that someone on here might have some advice about removing these. I've given them a little wiggle and they don't seem too firmly attached but I don't want to damage the paint so if anyone's got any tips it would be greatly appreciated.

I've also noticed from a quick browse of this site that there aren't many mentions of i30 Turbos. Being one of the rarer Hyundai models (in the UK, unsure about rest of world) I would be more than happy to answer any questions about them or about living with one.

Thanks in advance  :goodjob:
  • 2015 i30 Turbo, 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 T-GDI Manual, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Welcome Rob :)

The badge should remove easier if you heat it up with a hair dryer first then peel it away, any glue residue left can be rolled/rubbed off.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rob and welcome. Once you've heated the badge up a bit with a hair dryer or something as Craig suggested,  slide a piece of fishing line behind it and pull it gently across by holding both ends of the line, basically cutting through the double sided mounting tape or glue. Be plenty of youtube vids online showing you what to do.

Yes, the previous model petrol turbo was not sold in Australia and only in limited numbers elsewhere.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30joe

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Jarrow
Have you tried a sledgehammer.

Just kidding previous have stated bit of heat should make the adhesive pliable. Then get a plastic prying tool so as not to damage the paint. If you have some panel wipe it will eat away at the glue and lift the remainder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2011 i30 crdi comfort

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Thanks all!

Was guessing that it might need a bit of heat, hadn't thought about fishing wire but it sounds like a useful trick!

Sledgehammer method didn't go unnoticed either  :lol: The car is powerful enough to surprise a few Audi/BMW drivers and really doesn't need badges on every panel telling the world there's a turbo under the bonnet.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :weneedpics:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Thanks Shambles but I've got the advice I needed from others above without the need for pictures.

Hopefully I can get some before/after shots but this will not be for a week or so as I will be elsewhere.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I just wanted to see the proliferation of badges. Are you sure they don't actually make your i30 go faster? :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Remember being very proud as a student of my big TURBO badge on my my Diahatsu Charade 993cc 3 cylinder Diesel turbo. Badge added arleast 1 bihp ...... Thinking about maybe it didn't, in fact it was as slow as a Trabant   :crazy1:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Use the fishing line trick. Works well.         :happydance:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Sorry for the late reply, been away for a week or so

Will be arming myself with a hairdryer and some fishing line this weekend, the extra 10bhp per badge will be sorely missed but if it reduces the amount of mk4 golfs trying to prove themselves against me then it will be worth it!

Unfortunately the car has developed a knocking sound somewhere in and around the front right wheel, I'll make a new thread for any advice about this as I'm aware this one is probably dead and buried by now!

Thanks again everyone!  :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal