i30 Owners Club

2010 FD Steering Angle Sensor Wanted

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi all

As the subject says I am needing a new steering angle sensor so would like to know if anyone knows of a cost effective source for this item :question:

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I think if this is the case, it's going to be the whole assembly. With so many around and wrecked ones, should not be too hard to get one./

MDPS unit fitted to the Hyundai uses a
combined steering torque and angle sensor and
has no electrical contacts, which improves the
reliability of the sensor.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/EPS_Tech_feature_single%20NODATA.pdf

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
And here's the parts breakdown

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thank Gerard.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Hi, thanks for the replies but I was under the impression it is in the first item after removing the steering wheel ?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi, thanks for the replies but I was under the impression it is in the first item after removing the steering wheel ?

Known as clock spring. can you expand on what's going on?

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Both ESP and EPS lights are on. I have had the car connected to a scantool and it shows that there is no signal coming from the steering angle sensor
When I using the scantool I wasn't clearing codes I was looking at signals and there was no output from the steering angle sensor, ie, other sensors such as yaw could be seen to be operating as the measurements changed but the steering angle sensor showed no change as the steering wheel was turned.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Both ESP and EPS lights are on. I have had the car connected to a scantool and it shows that there is no signal coming from the steering angle sensor
When I using the scantool I wasn't clearing codes I was looking at signals and there was no output from the steering angle sensor, ie, other sensors such as yaw could be seen to be operating as the measurements changed but the steering angle sensor showed no change as the steering wheel was turned.

I don't think that's the bit you're after. To my knowledge it's a rotary contact. All that stuff you're on about from what I read and that video, it's embedded in the coloumn. Now I've got one that had contact issues with the steering wheel, nil faults with what you say. If you want to borrow it and try it out and see if anything clears be my guest but I'm pessimistic. There would be codes associated with the errors?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
actually , I think I've already posted images of that sensor. Forget about the clock spring, it's not that and the fault finding process states to swap a known working steering column to confirm fault or bad harness.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The Steering angle sensor(SAS) is installed in MDPS (Motor Driven Power Steering) and it sends messages to HECU through CAN communication line.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have you got a thread on this fault?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld
Thanks  :goodjob2:

Now I see what you mean.

There are no fault codes so I take it you don't think my problem is with the steering angle sensor ?

The 'live' view on a scantool showed no display of steering angle change when steering wheel was turned.

Apart from the 2 dash lights being on there are no other symptoms, car drives as it always has.

If I was to borrow your 'spare' I would need to do a complete removal of mine and then fit yours to see if this fixed it and then if it did procure a good unit from somewhere to fit, is this the way you see it  :question:

Cheers
Steve

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
As for the spare, it's the clock spring I'm referring to as that's what you think it may be. I have a column but I'm not lending that out, will be going into my car in the bnear future and then I'll refurb the old one. One of my never never projects but my steering is deteriorating.

I have no opinion on the fault, just trying to clarify what you're after and stop you wasting tme and money on the wrong part

Offline fishbone99

• 1st Gear

• ar Argentina
PantherSteve,

Our car has the same symptoms that you describe (esp and eps lights constantly on), with the aggravating situation that the car recently comes from the rubber bush replacement.

Mechanic's obd2 software reads a constant zero as the steering wheels rotates, so they told me that I need to replace the complete steering column, thing that I describe as funny, only not to kill anybody.

I've read the entire post but cannot found if you found a solution ... could you help me a little more on the topic?

Thanks in advance
  • 2010 FD, 5 Door Hatch, Gas 2.0lt, Manual, Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal