i30 Owners Club

How much does it really cost to charge an electric car at home with green energy?

eye30 · 4 · 1645

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

While the overall number of electric cars on the road may still be small, several energy providers have responded to growing demand by launching electric vehicle (EV) tariffs. These offer special perks to drivers such as access to charging networks.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-4951084/What-pay-charge-electric-car-home.html
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If we had incentives and adequate charging stations here I would definitely be back in a hybrid or electric vehicle. I love them. Not that I am unhappy with my PD SR. Definitely as good or better than any other car I have had (and I've had some goodens!) :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That info still does not tell you how much it costs per mile in electricity to run the average electric car.

To say drivers will spend £800 on electricity without saying how many miles that covers is not enough.

Take my experience with my hybrid.

In the frst 5000 miles I used 78 gallons of petrol = 354 litre @ £1.20 = a cost of £424

I do an average of 10,000 miles per year, hence, I will spend £850 on petrol which is about the same amount as the above information predicts the average motorist will spend on electricity.

So why spend an extra £2000 to £3000 on a plug in electric car - a hybrid will cost less overall.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If we had a purely electric car I would probably add a few more panels to my existing set up at a cost of around $1500 all up (I have a 5KW inverter with only 3.8KW of panels) I would then have enough excess solar power to virtually charge the car for free ( if I planned my drives so that it mostly charged during daylight hours).

Our current setup (see what I did there) virtually comes out square for the year at the moment. Credits over summer almost covering the relatively small winter bills.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal