i30 Owners Club

After market front parking assist sensors

ElleB · 9 · 3024

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
HI Guys.... Long time no chat... just to many other time gobbling issues.
  But, I am back.. Recently sold ElleB  our 2009 CW and bought a 2016 Elite... European build CRDI and love it.

The new one is named AshB as she is ash blue as against ElleB being electric blue. :lol:   Yes a bit like a racehorse dynasty... :snigger:

There are some annoying little things, and I will write a report for the benefit of any second hand buyers, soon, but overall it is a real step up from the 2009 version.

For now , just a quick question... I am 6'3, wife is 5'3" and neither of us can see the front of the car...so parking and car parks with those nudge barriers are a pain...

I note that some of the new models have F & R sensors, we just have rear, so can anyone direct me to a source of aftermarket sensors that might suit the purpose?

Any help appreciated...

Cheers to all my old mates on the forum...

Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome back Tony.
I seem to remember @AlanHo  having some fitted to one of his previous cars. Also, someone here in Oz. So I'm sure advice will be forthcoming.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have had front parking sensors fitted to my last three cars by a local auto electrician who is an agent for Vodaphone Cobra (They make the sensors for Hyundai/KIA in Europe)

There are several firms who advertise sensors in the UK - some using mobile technicians who come to your house to fit them.

A google search for your location in Australia will probably come up with the sources for front sensors and local fitters.  My guess is the cost will be around $400.

The kit will not be integrated with the car instrument panel - but will be just an audio warning. Some more expensive kits include a small display mounted on the dash with LED's showing how close to you are to an obstacle in addition to audio warnings.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Tony and  :welcomeback: I wondered how your elite was going (and you guys too)  :snigger:

I am not sure you know, but I bought a new PD i30 SR ( not the premium) in June and originally had aftermarket front sensors included in the deal. Heard bad reports so they got them installed on one of their demos for me to try (great service) But despite telling me the guy they use is amazing, I wasn't impressed. Way too sensitive and only audible,  not visual alert (so don't know where the obstruction is) A couple of other members had tales of whoa so I ended up accepting my first two services free and haven't really missed them.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

With respect Dazz - you don't really need to know exactly where the obstacle is. If you hear the sensors sound off you know that there is trouble ahead.

I find them useful when driving in and out of tight parking spaces. As you turn, you know when the front of the car is too close to the car alongside.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With respect Dazz - you don't really need to know exactly where the obstacle is. If you hear the sensors sound off you know that there is trouble ahead.

I find them useful when driving in and out of tight parking spaces. As you turn, you know when the front of the car is too close to the car alongside.
I've only had them in one or two cars out of over 30 so don't really miss them.. I could have done with them on my 2nd hybrid camry though.. Whoops!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That's the problem Dazz - along comes some new technology which you eventually get used to and now could not do without.

The latest gadget for me is adaptive cruise - it is fantastic - and is now a "must have".

The friends we were away on holiday with last week have a top of the range Nissan Qashqai which has auto parallel parking. He kept going out of his way to find tough parking spaces to impress me. It did - but not enough to want the feature. One of the dentists at the practice I use has a Hybrid Mercedes he can lock/unlock, open/close the boot and park remotely using his iPhone. Another feature I don't lust for. 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's the problem Dazz - along comes some new technology which you eventually get used to and now could not do without.

The latest gadget for me is adaptive cruise - it is fantastic - and is now a "must have".

The friends we were away on holiday with last week have a top of the range Nissan Qashqai which has auto parallel parking. He kept going out of his way to find tough parking spaces to impress me. It did - but not enough to want the feature. One of the dentists at the practice I use has a Hybrid Mercedes he can lock/unlock, open/close the boot and park remotely using his iPhone. Another feature I don't lust for.

Totally agree Alan. As I've already said on several occasions I love the adaptive cruise in the SR. It was probably the main feature that pushed me over the edge with trading the Calais. I'm convinced that the combination of adaptive cruise and lighter controls makes me less tired on longer trips in the i30 than my previous car.

I had remote start and auto parallel and perpendicular? parking in the Calais, but found those features of no appeal.  If the Calais had had Autonomous/Adaptive cruise I may have kept it longer.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Thanks "y'all" for your input.... Just the noise will be fine... it is mainly the parking barriers  / stops that I want to be able to judge...rather than nudge up until you hear the scrape !!

Plus the "knowledge on the corner position as you swing into a tight spot..

As Alan says  these "tech" things come out and they gradually become mandatory... I think dash cams will be the next thing... it would save a heap of money and argument when there is a "ding".... if every car had them and they operated automatically....anyway I digress. :rolleyes:

Found a  4 sensor set online here and the guy is calling me today to run through the system and fitting etc.... so I will update when I have more news...

It's good to be back  :whistler: :happydance: :whistler:

Tony
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal