i30 Owners Club

PD i30 SR Premium - dash cam install

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Picked up my SR Premium yesterday and I want to install my dash cam that I have laying around.

Has anyone wired one up yet in a PD using the cigarette lighter? I will have to use the one in the centre console as the compartment in the dash won't close if u plug it in there.

Interested to see where people ran their cords.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My dashcam power cable is a standard USB plugged into a tiny $1.20 3A 5V supply module running off the 12V in the overhead console. No wiring visible at all. If I had to use a cigarette lighter, I wouldn't use a dashcam. All model i30s would be similar enough in this regard.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.

I have a PD SR and recently wired up my dash cam. I ran the wire down behind the passenger seat under the rear floor mats. I then tucked it up under the plastic sill trim and then the door rubbers across the top of the A pillar trim and finished by tucking it behind the roof lining. Not easy but doable...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Welcome.

I have a PD SR and recently wired up my dash cam. I ran the wire down behind the passenger seat under the rear floor mats. I then tucked it up under the plastic sill trim and then the door rubbers across the top of the A pillar trim and finished by tucking it behind the roof lining. Not easy but doable...
Did you use the 12v socket or hard wire it?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome.

Just used the 12 volt socket. It's fairly discreet. Cable was only just long enough. Must be about 3 metres. It's only a navi8tor dash cam.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Welcome.

Just used the 12 volt socket. It's fairly discreet. Cable was only just long enough. Must be about 3 metres. It's only a navi8tor dash cam.
Centre console or under air con controls?

I'll have a go at running the cable tomorrow.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Centre console. There are indents in the the front edge of the lid to run the cable through so it still closes. If cable a bit short could run it across under the mat in front of passenger's seat.

Offline butters7388

• 2nd Gear
Has anyone figured out how to remove the plastic kick panel which is above the sill panels?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal