i30 Owners Club

Broken Windscreen

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Copped a large stone chip in the middle of the windscreen that starred to about the size of  my hand. We were away on holidays in Port Macquarie. Called NRMA Autoglass, O'Briens and Novus for a quote.
NRMA quoted $550, but as you have been a member for 38 years discounted to $440.
O'Briens website offered an instant quote, but then wanted to call me back, didn't respond until the next day so not sure of there price.
Novus quoted $290, replaced same day.
Irritated that when NRMA guy called back it was actually the local unnamed installer acting as agent. His price direct was similar to Novus.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm surprised your insurance doesn't give one free windscreen a year without affecting your no claim bonus, I thought they all have that option included now days :undecided:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Cost $60/year to add it to my insurance, certainly am ahead with one windscreen and 4 chips in 38 years.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Doesn't cost anything for me, it's included free of charge with Shannon's

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cost $60/year to add it to my insurance, certainly am ahead with one windscreen and 4 chips in 38 years.

Not sure what I pay extra for my windscreen cover through  RACT think it's only $30 per car,  per annum. But you are certainly ahead with those figures.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't bother with it any more not with screens fitted sub $300. If you spent your life driving on the HWY that may be a different story.

NOVUS did my hatch. O'Briens quoted some high price then said if you find it cheaper come back . well if you want business you quote your best price in my opinion and they'd know what the competitors quote. It's all chinese glass these days anyway.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I don't bother with it any more not with screens fitted sub $300. If you spent your life driving on the HWY that may be a different story.

NOVUS did my hatch. O'Briens quoted some high price then said if you find it cheaper come back . well if you want business you quote your best price in my opinion and they'd know what the competitors quote. It's all chinese glass these days anyway.

Agree with all points tw. I get mine at $200, so obviously there is a huge margin and why bother with insurance. In fact, on a 6-7 year old FD I only have 3rd party property insurance =$100.
As you say if you do heaps of out west Hwy or are a dickhead driver you may need to reconsider, I include P platers in the latter.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think it is probably a little more likely to get a broken windscreen in Tassie (for me anyway) because a lot of our driving here is between towns (not that much city driving).

From my experience is is often someone else's driving which causes the break or nasty chip. On nearly every occasion it has happened to me (maybe 7 or 8 times in 40 years) it has been a truck or car coming the other way at a good speed that has flicked a stone up.  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
From my experience is is often someone else's driving which causes the break or nasty chip. On nearly every occasion it has happened to me (maybe 7 or 8 times in 40 years) it has been a truck or car coming the other way at a good speed that has flicked a stone up.  :fum:
Same here to Dazz, it's mainly trucks or 4x4's on the rural and country roads.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal