i30 Owners Club

How to block the EGR

Offline tristo07

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      south australia
Hi

1-  how do I go about blocking or removing the EGR from my i30 09 diesel, can anyone show me photos or step by step.

2 - I’ve read that this would help less crap going into the manifold etc and improving performance etc, any major downsides to this that I haven’t taken into account?

3 - has anyone done exhuast or removed resonators or even installs high flow cat converters to help performance ?
  • i30 slx 09 turbo diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Have a dig around the forum under an appropriate topic and you should find someone has purchased a blanking plate and drilled a carefully calculated diameter hole to avoid error codes, as far as I recall. Good luck! :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi

1-  how do I go about blocking or removing the EGR from my i30 09 diesel, can anyone show me photos or step by step.

2 - I’ve read that this would help less crap going into the manifold etc and improving performance etc, any major downsides to this that I haven’t taken into account?

3 - has anyone done exhuast or removed resonators or even installs high flow cat converters to help performance ?

Hi tristo,

As Gonz says there are some threads on here about the EGR,  but I haven't personally had experience.  I did get a bigger straight through exhaust fabricated by a local muffler shop back in 2008. It gave a slightly throatier exhaust note, but performance and economy gains were negligible.  My insurance company at the time (Allianz) got cranky and so I ended up passing it on for the cost of the freight.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I did mine in November. Easy job, just loosen two bolts, slide the blanking plate in and retighten them. Plates are availible on ebay.

Hard part was finding a small enough tool to get down there without removing half the engine. Took me about 40 minutes, mostly becaues I was trying different tools and was a little unsure where it was supposed to go,pictures on the ebay site were good enough once I was looking at the gd and not fd instructions.

I got no engine lights so far, done 5000km. I switched to new winter tires at the same time, so I don't dare to say if economy is better or worse. I'm up to an average of 4.7l/100km the last four tanks(4.3 for all of last year). My old winter tires did a lifetime average of 4.6, but the new ones are a lot grippier so it might be them that are responsible for the full increase. I'm hoping it's the tires, in the winter grip is more important than FE. :)

Preformance is better below 2000rpm, less hesitating and a more predictable power output (above 2k rpm the egr is always closed). It did increase exhaust noise and decrease its pitch(throatier).

Edit: not an issue for you, but for posteritys sake: DPF regents have gone from every 500km(exactly) to an interval of 1500-2000km, so exhaust is now hot enough to do most of the cleaning passively. Took four active regens to clear the old particles out though.

Best 5$ I spent on the car so far!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:30:22 by xiziz »
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal