i30 Owners Club

Turboing of 2.0 petrol for FD series

Kurtz · 9 · 3530

Offline Kurtz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi guys,
   I'm new to the forum and wondering if anyone has turboed their petrol i30.
I'm thinking the older model with the 2 litre.
   Cheers Kurt.
  • Getz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Kurt. Wrong section. I'll relocate it to the modification section and make the title more effective  (hope you don't mind)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Kurtz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

Offline jajceko

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
Hello,

maybe its a bit too late, but i have turboed my Kia Pro Cee'd 2008. Was 1.4 in the beginning but i changed the motor to 1.6.
There were a lot of improvements and i invested around 7000 euro in the car of different modifications. In the end the car had (over dyno) 196HP and 240Nm on 4500 rpm on 0.7bar. I didn't change any internals on the engine and drove around 40k km with the car. Stock was 109HP (1.4 liter) and 137Nm on 5200 rpm. It was a fun car. It also ran on LPG so the cost of extra fuel used was not so much. The car ran with turbo around 50k km. It started with 0.45bar and end was 0.7bar. In the end the engine said enough and one piston blew throu the engine. It was just too much.
It was a lot of work and a lot of custom made things because there are too little modifications available for Hyundai/Kia. The car was a lot of fun and i loved it but i would never go down that road again.
Basically you have to modify more than half of the car. Its not only the engine part but also the transmission, clutch, fuel system, injectors, cooling system and so on and so on...
Because of that the chance of having issue with something arises and that complicates life.

If you do go down that road, the car will for sure bring you a lot of smile on your face, because of the transformation in speed, torque and sound of the car. But be prepare for problems. :)

If you need more details i can find some old posts from another forum to try to remember the parts i got and the things i took care of. I also remember the clutch system on 2.0 engines was worse then on 1.4 and 1.6.
  • Hyundai I30 2016 1.6 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hello,

maybe its a bit too late, but i have turboed my Kia Pro Cee'd 2008. Was 1.4 in the beginning but i changed the motor to 1.6.
There were a lot of improvements and i invested around 7000 euro in the car of different modifications. In the end the car had (over dyno) 196HP and 240Nm on 4500 rpm on 0.7bar. I didn't change any internals on the engine and drove around 40k km with the car. Stock was 109HP (1.4 liter) and 137Nm on 5200 rpm. It was a fun car. It also ran on LPG so the cost of extra fuel used was not so much. The car ran with turbo around 50k km. It started with 0.45bar and end was 0.7bar. In the end the engine said enough and one piston blew throu the engine. It was just too much.
It was a lot of work and a lot of custom made things because there are too little modifications available for Hyundai/Kia. The car was a lot of fun and i loved it but i would never go down that road again.
Basically you have to modify more than half of the car. Its not only the engine part but also the transmission, clutch, fuel system, injectors, cooling system and so on and so on...
Because of that the chance of having issue with something arises and that complicates life.

If you do go down that road, the car will for sure bring you a lot of smile on your face, because of the transformation in speed, torque and sound of the car. But be prepare for problems. :)

If you need more details i can find some old posts from another forum to try to remember the parts i got and the things i took care of. I also remember the clutch system on 2.0 engines was worse then on 1.4 and 1.6.

Thanks for that! You didn't even mention upgrading the brakes! Yes, it must be fun, but as you say you need a lot of money that you are happy to not see again. Buying a more performance orientated car in the first place and just giving it minor enhancements is certainly the wiser choice from a financial point of view.

I do have a friend that has thrown a bucket load of money at a Skoda with amazing results. he doesn't regret it. You have to have a certain mentality (which I don't have)  :cool:

Offline jajceko

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
i didn't mention a lot of things that i upgraded :)
i put bilstein B14 suspension kit, upgraded discs to 320mm, bigger fuel pump, one additional big fuel injector, intercooler, CAI, whole exhaust from downpipe created from scratch fi60, GT28R turbo, piggyback ecu, better sparkplugs, bigger clutch, audison voce speakers, two amplifiers, subwoofer, clarion central unit, whole car was covered in STP, air horn, additional strut bar....
i am not sorry i did any of the upgrades because i loved the car. it just took a lot of time and patience...
you have to love those things to do them. and everyone has its own passion and things that she/he will always give money for. for some it is shoes, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, skiing, summer cruise.....and so on...everyone has its own thing that makes them happy and as long as you can afford it and it doesn't affect your or others health...why not...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i didn't mention a lot of things that i upgraded :)
i put bilstein B14 suspension kit, upgraded discs to 320mm, bigger fuel pump, one additional big fuel injector, intercooler, CAI, whole exhaust from downpipe created from scratch fi60, GT28R turbo, piggyback ecu, better sparkplugs, bigger clutch, audison voce speakers, two amplifiers, subwoofer, clarion central unit, whole car was covered in STP, air horn, additional strut bar....
i am not sorry i did any of the upgrades because i loved the car. it just took a lot of time and patience...
you have to love those things to do them. and everyone has its own passion and things that she/he will always give money for. for some it is shoes, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, skiing, summer cruise.....and so on...everyone has its own thing that makes them happy and as long as you can afford it and it doesn't affect your or others health...why not...

True! There is a joke where a lady tells some guy if he didn't smoke after 10 years he would be able to buy a Ferrari... His answer "so where is your Ferrari?"  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
There is this video I found on YouTube which seems to point to someone who has dunnit before, but nothing said about the cost or anything really. He has another video on his channel

:link: Hyundai i30 2.0 turbo 100-200 test - YouTube
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline jajceko

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
this was mine...

1.4 in the begining with 0.45bar
:link: Kia Pro Cee'd 1.4 turbo - YouTube

1.6 with 0.65 and different BOV :)
:link: Kia pro ceed turbo acceleration - YouTube
:link: Kia pro ceed turbo acceleration 2 - YouTube

its fun to see your once sluggish car have some speed :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal