i30 Owners Club

Did anyone FIX their intermittent radio on/off problem?

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi, I've just bought a 2008 i30 Premium, 2.0 CRDi. So far, all good except for the radio randomly switching itself on/off. I've checked the mini-fuses and swapped them over to rule out that problem. I then checked this forum and found more than a few similar cases which resulted in the radio unit being replaced under warranty. Obviously, I can't do that but I wondered if anyone has actually FIXED this problem?

If not, would it be worthwhile to source a replacement or upgrade the head unit?

Thanks in advance!

-Ant
  • 2008 i30 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Ant,

So much has been posted on this forum over the last 10 years I could't even recall that being an issue. Good on you for finding some applicable info with a search.  :goodjob:

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. I guess there is a small risk of the problem not being the unit itself too. That is something to do with a connection other than the fuse.  :undecided:

The cheapest option is probably to find a good secondhand unit from a breaker's yard/ wreckers or via say ebay (or even with a wanted to buy add on here)

Normally you have to be a member for at least 2 weeks and have a minimum of ten posts to use our wanted to buy or sell section, but in the circumstances I would be happy to authorise that.

An updated unit with Android auto and or bluetooth  would be nice but obviously  a lot dearer. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've just pulled it out, cleaned the connectors and refitted it - sadly to no avail. Strangely it was fine for one 80 mile trip but barely stayed on this morning. Got home and it was fine...

Ebay does seem to have a lot of replacements on offer, just worried about either getting a duff one or finding out it's the car's wiring with the fault.

Interesting you mention about the Android/Bluetooth version, would you know which other radio versions would fit, please?

Thanks!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bluetooth enabled Stereos started to appear in the Korean built FD series in late 2010/ early 2011. I don't know what version of stereo it was though. Current Android auto factory units from later models obviously wouldn't fit in your earlier model i suspect.

If I were you, I would wait until you have a spare day and then make a visit to a few local car audio places. Explain your problem and see if any are prepared to find and fix the issue cheaply or can suggest a unit that will fit and preferably has at least bluetooth but hopefully Android auto as well.

I think we have had a few with the series 1 who have updated to reasonable chinese units via ebay or other online sources.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had bluetooth for phone on my 57 plate i30.

Not sure re music as i used lead to connect
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Ok sounds like a plan!

I will update this post once I have it sorted.

Cheers!

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
A few years back, my head unit stopped working. Turned out to be the amplifier in the right rear of the hatch area. Swapped in a second hand amplifier and all has been well ever since. Not all FD i30s have the amplifier ... only the Elite in NZ. Worth checking.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline AntKent

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hardly a surprise but I bought a used unit from a popular auction site for £60 which is working perfectly. Seems like there is a problem with a batch/generation of i30 radios rather than a plethora of grounding/fuse problems. If your i30 radio is randomly misbehaving, you know what to do ;-)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It was probably some internal dry joint. You chose an Easy way to fix it. :)

. Not all FD i30s have the amplifier ... only the Elite in NZ. Worth checking.
Andrew

Good reminder thanks, in Australia the FD SR has it too.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal