i30 Owners Club

Broken condenser

GaKu · 10 · 3224

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
My car has just been diagnosed with a broken condenser and a replacement estimate is 6000 DKK by an independant mechanic  :Shocked::scared: Thats certainly too high so asked other mechanics and got estimates from 3500 - 5000 DKK.
I am thinking of buying one myself and getting it fitted by the mechanics to save some money. All consider it to be a 2 hour job so not much to save there. Looking at some car parts website, there is a huge range for this and I cant see which ones are good or bad.
Do you have any suggestions for a good quality condenser?
  • 2011 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Geez that's pricey :Shocked: personally I'd stay with genuine Hyundai condenser, you can get genuine ones here for $200 (968 DKK) :link: HYUNDAI I30 FD 2007-2012 2.0L PETROL GENUINE BRAND NEW A/C CONDENSER | eBay and non genuine ones around $80-$100.

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I will get a second opinion about why the air con is not working anyway.
When I asked why it costs so much, the original guy said its a 5 hour job because the condenser sits quite far back and would require a lot of gas to be refilled.

He just lost his credibility. Quite unfortunate because I thought he was the one to trust.
Now I need to restart the hunt for a trusty mechanic.  :confused: :disapp:
  • 2011 i30

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I saw some chart where it said that i30 would need 500g of air con liquid. I think I paid for 500g when my air con was fully serviced...

Retail price for 500g r134A is around 40€.  I would guess mechanic would add +30% to that. So chemichals ~55€. Oem condenser ~200€. 5 hours of work ~5x70€=350. Total amount would be somewhere around 600€.  I think that is around 4500DK.

Of course the labour price may vary a lot between mechanics. Also I've red news about R134A is getting more expensive due summer and heat. But yeah... I believe the 3500-5000DK would be more realistic price. Also it depends how well they "fill" the air con. Do they do pressure tests or do they just fill it up without other (necessary) work...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Per hour rates here are around 75 to 90 euro. In either case they make sure you get charged to get what they actually want so I don't bother with it.

This mechanic claimed there was 1000dkk worth gas to be filled and 1500dkk for the condenser. Even taking into account his 5 hour estimate, it was not going to be 6000 in all. I did not want to argue because I wanted to get out of there ASAP before he would ask for money for diagnostic work.
This workshop went from a small place to a much bigger facility in partnership. Guess they lost their work ethics in the process.

But yes, a regular ac service does include pressure tests which he had done last year but failed to find this problem. His point was that these tests are not accurate enough to catch small leaks.  :rolleyes:

I for sure won't go there again.
  • 2011 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks to @CraigB and @sundiz for the helpful links and information.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Got the condenser replaced today for 3500dkk. Here are the pics of the old one.
Looks quite strange as if the missing section has been neatly cut off.
Anybody seen such breakage?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 19:51:53 by GeeKv2 »
  • 2011 i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Got the condenser repaired today for 3500dkk. Here are the pics of the old one.

Hard to know but looks like something may have gone into where the fins were , the spacing and bend there looks as if something was wedged in?

Of course with time and age these can fatigue and deteriorate to the point the fins can easily be blown out by high pressure hose or the body cracks.

Green dye  and a lot of oily residue from the system is what i see whenit escaped
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Got the condenser repaired today for 3500dkk. Here are the pics of the old one.

Hard to know but looks like something may have gone into where the fins were , the spacing and bend there looks as if something was wedged in?

Of course with time and age these can fatigue and deteriorate to the point the fins can easily be blown out by high pressure hose or the body cracks.

Green dye  and a lot of oily residue from the system is what i see whenit escaped

What exactly is in front of the condenser around that area which could have wedged in? Is it the bumper?
Would hitting a high pavement cause such damage ? I bought this car used so have no idea about its history
  • 2011 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal