i30 Owners Club

Battery almost dead but this thing won't keep quiet!

Offline chef_adrian

• 1st Gear

• Victoria
Hi all,

My lights stayed on this morning for some reason (usually they turn off automatically) and i've come back to my car with an almost dead battery.  Car obviously won't turn over and all seems normal if I have a door open.  but as soon as I close all doors, the engine bay starts making a knocking sound from above the fuse box on the lower left of the engine bay and below the coolant reservoir.  There is a little bell-looking thing that is making the noise but I have no idea what it is.  It is a constant knocking sound, about every half a second.  I can't seem to find what it is so I was hoping someone can enlighten me. 

It's the thing just above the number 1 on the diagram.  shaped like a bicycle bell. 

TIA

Adrian

• 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all,

My lights stayed on this morning for some reason (usually they turn off automatically) and i've come back to my car with an almost dead battery.  Car obviously won't turn over and all seems normal if I have a door open.  but as soon as I close all doors, the engine bay starts making a knocking sound from above the fuse box on the lower left of the engine bay and below the coolant reservoir.  There is a little bell-looking thing that is making the noise but I have no idea what it is.  It is a constant knocking sound, about every half a second.  I can't seem to find what it is so I was hoping someone can enlighten me. 

It's the thing just above the number 1 on the diagram.  shaped like a bicycle bell. 

TIA

Adrian

I'm wondering if the alarm has triggered, what lights? Hazards flashing?  That looks like the alarm horn.

If the battery is low maybe the BCM is trying to drive it but with low voltage it may be enough to make it click, essentially an electro magnet
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline chef_adrian

• 1st Gear

• Victoria
Thanks for the reply!

I didn't think the car had an alarm!  I was told someone saw the rear lights on which i'm assuming meant the fronts were on too.  Turns out it was still on the original battery and it was happening as you thought with the alarm.  8 years doesn't seem like a bad effort from it.

Thanks for your help.

• 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, White

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the reply!

I didn't think the car had an alarm!  I was told someone saw the rear lights on which i'm assuming meant the fronts were on too.  Turns out it was still on the original battery and it was happening as you thought with the alarm.  8 years doesn't seem like a bad effort from it.

Thanks for your help.
incredible yes  :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal