i30 Owners Club

[SOLVED] Car cranks but no start, engine light takes a about a minute to light up

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@AbrahamSaenz
Great result, happy it has worked out for you.  :)
Nice that you could find a tech too.
As a young electronics tech in NZ, I routinely opened any device and repaired it.
Now days , that skill has been generally been lost within the trade, a victim of economy and the throw away module.

@tw2005  Gerard, If you sit nice and quietly, I will open an ECU and post a photo or two, just for you.  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

@tw2005  Gerard, If you sit nice and quietly, I will open an ECU and post a photo or two, just for you.  :cool:
If it's a  CRDi ecu  for a FD go for it.  Anything else   :kissmyass:  :rofl:

(I'll settle for a 2.oL petrol if you must :mrgreen:) @nzenigma

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I know that leakages like this are relatively rare....and that all fuel injected cars have a similar setup...but it is stupid that such a minute part can cause so much headscratching and frustration. I bet cars with similar afflictions have been 'moved-on' due to owners and mechanics being unable to get to the cause.

Kudos to the diagnostic technician who set things right! :goodjob2:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I know that leakages like this are relatively rare....and that all fuel injected cars have a similar setup...but it is stupid that such a minute part can cause so much headscratching and frustration. I bet cars with similar afflictions have been 'moved-on' due to owners and mechanics being unable to get to the cause.

Kudos to the diagnostic technician who set things right! :goodjob2:
Absolutely, when the caps go on a PC and voltages become erratic how does that go? Same in an ECU, basically a processor with many sensor inputs. I think a couple of decades ago there was a period of bad caps, Moderns TVs come to mind especially LG, Samsung. Panasonic however did(not sure now) have the best caps in theirs so rarely was it a bad cap, main brands fitted were Rubycon, Nichicon and United Chemicon.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

If it's a  CRDi ecu  for a FD go for it.  Anything else   :kissmyass:  :rofl:

Not quite the behaviour we expect in the valley, but....Southwest = fairly normal  :cool:

This was no easy task. ... to find the box of ECUs in shed 2. After finding all the other parts I had lost, and about to give up, found em under the washer bottles, as you would expect.  :rolleyes:

The pictured Continental  (also have identical Siemens)  2l petrol FD . The Bosch is diesel FD manual.

luckily I settled on the Bosch, 4 screws hold lid plus seal, needs heat to open.

to get to the caps and component side I had to put enough flame onto the case to melt the sealant around the socket.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
top job. I  wouldn't be doing that unless I had to. On my phone so these shots are petrol ? What brand are those black cap ? :goodjob: :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :faint: It never ends. Just WALKED ALL THE WAY to shed 2 to check the pressure sensor. Came back stopped for lunch ...Sorry about that  :Pout:

And she doesn't listen to me   :blubber:" luckily I settled on the Bosch, 4 screws hold lid plus seal, needs heat to open." 

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Gary.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :mrgreen:
She's not talking to me any more  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Who? Wil or Geraldine... :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Probably have to add additional sealant when closing the ECU up, I watched RPW when they were working on my Bosch ECU and they mentioned adding the extra sealant as the factory sealant once taken apart wont stop moisture once it's been cracked.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Now I'm back, i can see both clearly. For the diesels auto and manual are the same ECU as they have a separate TCU.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Now I'm back, i can see both clearly. For the diesels auto and manual are the same ECU as they have a separate TCU.

Music too my ears G.  :link: Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - YouTube

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Music too my ears G.  :link: Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now - YouTube
Best part of that link was the Domonos pizza Ad, worked out what brand those caps are yet?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal