i30 Owners Club

Hello from Australia

wooly · 28 · 8771

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Hi everyone,
Thanks for letting me join this little club, although I don't yet own an i30 I feel there will be one in my life very soon.

I tend to buy a new car only every 20 years or so and I have had my current Corolla for almost 20 years now.
Never had a scrap of trouble with the dear old Corolla, but my wife bought a new Hyundai Tucson elite last month and I started to realise how dated the Corolla is now.
The problem is that the Corolla is still a really god car with years and years of life left in it, however it really doesn't cut it compared to all the safety built into a modern car like an i30 or a Tucson.

I will be looking for tips and any running problems with the i30's using the resources of the forum, so I will probably pop up here and there.
I look forward to updating my profile when I finally make the move.
  • 2018 PD2 i30 Elite 2.0 white

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome aboard wooly :D

We have a really great set of members who will be only too willing to share their thoughts and advice... there's also a section to help potential buyers such as yourself.

Enjoy.

Tasmania, eh?  Never heard of the place :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Tasmania, eh?  Never heard of the place :snigger:

Steve's a funny man..  :snigger:

:welcumwagon: I'm the other Admin and co-founder of the site and I live in Devonport.  Like Steve says, you will find us helpful and friendly. Infact, if you buy an i30 I might even shout you a coffee or a beer.  :drinks:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Thanks for the warm welcome folks, seems to be one of the more pleasant user forums on the internet nowadays.  :goodjob2:

My initial thought when looking to upgrade was to consider another Corolla, but really, when the wife came home with her new Tucson I knew I had to go the same way as well.
But the Tucson is just too much car for me so started investigating the i30 and was very pleasantly impressed with what I saw.
I have yet to read any  poor comment or reviews of the i30 and can't really see any downside to it.
The only negative initial impression I had is that rearward vision us not as good as my old Toyota, but I guess that is compensated by the electronics built in now.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Wooly and   :wlcome02:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, seems to be one of the more pleasant user forums on the internet nowadays.  :goodjob2:

My initial thought when looking to upgrade was to consider another Corolla, but really, when the wife came home with her new Tucson I knew I had to go the same way as well.
But the Tucson is just too much car for me so started investigating the i30 and was very pleasantly impressed with what I saw.
I have yet to read any  poor comment or reviews of the i30 and can't really see any downside to it.
The only negative initial impression I had is that rearward vision us not as good as my old Toyota, but I guess that is compensated by the electronics built in now.

My rental Corolla in WA had poorer rear vision than my PD i30.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day wooly,

:i30:
We vary between 13 and 15 years for our cars. Can't compare new and 20 plus years, as they say " chalk and cheese".
Enjoy, 
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welly3:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
G'Day wooly,

:i30:
 Can't compare new and 20 plus years, as they say " chalk and cheese".
Enjoy,

Crikey, you are so correct with that factoid.

When I bought my Corolla in 2000 it was $22k for a basic model (conquest) with a radio and air-con and one drivers air bag as safety gear.l
The current i30 equivalent (active) is $24 and the difference in comfort and technology add is astounding.

Had a good look over an elite at the dealer today and was most impressed, just need to get a trade in price for the old car now and then we are off to the races.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

...just need to get a trade in price for the old car now and then we are off to the races.

Make sure you are sitting down when they give you a price! With respect if they offer you more than a $1000 for a 20 year old Corolla I will be surprised.  They are the sort of car that will fetch a bit more on the private sale market though. Without knowing the details of the vehicle you might get $2000 -$2500 privately if it's tidy and still runs ok. Either way, sounds like it has well and truly paid for itself.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dazz, Do car yards in Tassie not offer a minimum 2 or 3K trade in :undecided:

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
...just need to get a trade in price for the old car now and then we are off to the races.

if it's tidy and still runs ok.

Oh, it's tidy and still runs OK - in fact it's only 46k on it !!
Some say it's in showroom condition   :whistler:
With a Rodeo flat tray, 2 motorbikes, and the wife's car the Corolla only gets used 2-3 times a week for a bit of running around town.
Sometimes I think a bloke has money than sense.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

if it's tidy and still runs ok.

Oh, it's tidy and still runs OK - in fact it's only 46k on it !!
Some say it's in showroom condition   :whistler:
With a Rodeo flat tray, 2 motorbikes, and the wife's car the Corolla only gets used 2-3 times a week for a bit of running around town.
Sometimes I think a bloke has money than sense.

Unfortunately with a car of that age mileage wont help trade in price but being immaculate and low mileage will help more in a private sale.  We looked at trading my wifes almost 4 year old i30 Tourer recently and they only offered A$10,000 maximum despite being in great condition with only 23,000 kilometres on the clock. Obviously we decided to keep it.  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz, Do car yards in Tassie not offer a minimum 2 or 3K trade in :undecided:

Yes, occasionally they do offer $2000 minimum trades at some yards, but not usually coinciding with drive away special prices or anything like that.  :undecided:

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Finally picked up my new motor this week, very pleased with it too.
The dealer had a white Elite in stock,ready to go and with a subtle bit of haggling she was all mine  :happydance:

Still have to get a few bits to go in it yet, the usual such as mats and dashmat.
Noticed on the way home that mud is already spraying up from the wheels so  a set of mudflaps are in order as well - why don't they fit them as standard nowadays ? Oh yes there are an option Sir.

Couple of questions ;

Where is the compliance plate mounted ?
It used to be on the firewall years ago, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

I thought the Elite came with a luggage net in the boot, but the dealer insists the Premium and SR only have it - would have been handy

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Finally picked up my new motor this week, very pleased with it too.
The dealer had a white Elite in stock,ready to go and with a subtle bit of haggling she was all mine  :happydance:

Still have to get a few bits to go in it yet, the usual such as mats and dashmat.
Noticed on the way home that mud is already spraying up from the wheels so  a set of mudflaps are in order as well - why don't they fit them as standard nowadays ? Oh yes there are an option Sir.

Couple of questions ;

Where is the compliance plate mounted ?
It used to be on the firewall years ago, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

I thought the Elite came with a luggage net in the boot, but the dealer insists the Premium and SR only have it - would have been handy
likely passenger front door jambs. read the manual yet? sometimes they tell you stuff inside of them
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Thanks for those links, that's the dashmat I was going to order, don't like the nasty cutout in the OEM one.
Have you actually seen one of these and is the quality OK ?
And I'll get those mudflaps if the local dealer can't come close to that price.

Thanks.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Same brand as the dash mat I bought for my GD i30 and it's fine, they are less reflective on the windscreen than the factory type as well.

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Same brand as the dash mat I bought for my GD i30 and it's fine, they are less reflective on the windscreen than the factory type as well.

Good-Oh, have ordered it now.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Congrats on the new motor...

Heard of gofasterstrips but never seen a gofasterbow

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Contrats wooly,

They look great in white! You would possibly have the first 2.0 petrol Elite on here because they were only available in the diesel until recently.

Unfortunately the mudflaps will only make a small amount of difference to the spray as they are very small. They probably protect  the sides of the car from stone chips on gravel roads a little though.

Did you get the lighter interior? 

Offline wooly

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania
Thanks for the congrats Blokes  :goodjob2:
Quite chuffed with it actually and it's an nice feeling to be in that elite club of having one of the first white petrol Elites around here (Did you see what I did there?) :happydance:

Would have preferred the lighter interior but the only white one they had in stock was with the black interior, makes for a slightly gloomy cabin space I feel

Yes Daz, the mudflaps do look rather small, however, I Learned to drive in an era where they were fitted as standard by most manufacturers so I will have to fit them anyway just to make the car look complete...lol.

Did you get the luggage net with your SR and do you know whether the Elite still comes with it ?
The salesman didn't think the Elite had it although the brochure says they do - guess I could always get one from Supercheap, but hey, I'm supercheap anyway :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 00:12:53 by wooly »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the congrats Blokes  :goodjob2:
Quite chuffed with it actually and it's an nice feeling to be in that elite club of having one of the first white petrol Elites around here (Did you see what I did there?) :happydance:

Yes Daz, the mudflaps do look rather small, however, I Learned to drive in an era where they were fitted as standard by most manufacturers so I will have to fit them anyway just to make the car look complete...lol.

Did you get the luggage net with your SR and do you know whether the Elite still comes with it ?
The salesman didn't think the Elite had it although the brochure says they do - guess I could always get one from Supercheap, but hey, I'm supercheap anyway :mrgreen:

Yes, I'm old school too. I think my SR looks better with the mudflaps. Sounds like we are probably similar vintage (I am a 1956 model)  :snigger:

I only got the non premium SR and that didn't come with the luggage net. I got a luggage net with one of my cars but never used it. Not sure where it is now! I had a foldable storage box from Kmart in my last car which had a bigger boot but haven't bothered with it in this one. I find the bag hooks on each side of the boot hold a plastic bag of groceries pretty securely.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal