i30 Owners Club

Missing "piece" from vent

Offline spontus

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Hi guys and gals

I come to this little corner of the internet seeking guidance.

In my "new" 2012 FD the little plastic thing that you use to adjust the direction of the nice cool air is missing.
Adjusting side to side is still possible but up/down is rather problematic.

I found a wrecker that can send me the whole grill-assembly or I could maybe take one of the passenger ones since its easier to adjust with external implements for passengers than for the driver.

Does anyone know if that little detail is easily transplanted from one vent to another? Would prefer not to take the whole thing apart.

I could always rig up some kind of MacGyver solution but those rarely look very good.

Any thoughts, suggestions or crazy ideas ?

• 2012 FD i30CW blue, 1.6 CRDi, Manual, Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Spontus,

You explained your situation and the options well! I just went down to the garage and had a look at the WIfe's vents (2014 tourer) they are a bit different to yours. The "thing" that adjusts across and up and down seems quite secure, so i wouldn't try removing the passenger one. you might break it.

How often do you adjust your vents. I seldom do unless someone has moved them. Have you got fat fingers?  :snigger: I'd just get in the habit of checking the adjustment before you set off on each journey. If your smallest finger wont fit get a plastic probe thingy to keep in the console.  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
That vent is relatively easy to remove.

You will need to remove the fuse panel door, then the bigger panel that it is attached to. Then (going by memory) there are two more screws to loosen and then you should be able to unclip the vent. it just pushes into the pipe that supplies that vent with air, IIRC.

I'd say maybe get one from a wrecker and work from there. Getting the small missing piece in there and having it stay put may be more trouble than it's worth, especially if swapping the entire vent is a quick ten minute jobby :goodjob2:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline spontus

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Thanks guys, as Dazzler pointed out its not like I adjust the vents often and I'm really the only one who drives it. I was just hoping it was a quick and simple "clip-on" operation.   :disapp:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks guys, as Dazzler pointed out its not like I adjust the vents often and I'm really the only one who drives it. I was just hoping it was a quick and simple "clip-on" operation.   :disapp:
It probably is if you can get one which likely means you'll have to get the entire assembly so when you do you can check it out and see if you can
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline spontus

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
I checked the online database of wrecked parts here and there is quite a few of those available. With shipping its around 45€, bit juicy when I only need the one small component.  :sweating:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I checked the online database of wrecked parts here and there is quite a few of those available. With shipping its around 45€, bit juicy when I only need the one small component.  :sweating:

I would be "venting" if someone tried to charge me that much!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline spontus

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
I would be "venting" if someone tried to charge me that much!  :snigger:

:snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal