i30 Owners Club

FD wont start after airbag release

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

2. I accept that is what is in the handbook, however I keep finding passenger belts pulled hard into the B pillar. Two possible reasons, both fronts blow irrespective of occupancy, OR passengers never wear a belt. :crazy1:

Excuse me Marzster.

Just had a thought. .... :whistler:....... thinking back to the Little Red Wagon that no longer Huffed & Puffed, both front belts were locked in hard against the B pillar. Maybe they still retract but once fired that's it they are locked?

If you zoom in you can make out the drivers belt in its' retracted postion

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
                                               :argh:
Bustid you know where I will be and what will be on my mind next Thursday.

Don't forget your notebook Gary, comrade Gerard requires a list  :crazy1: and no doubt photographic proof.  :crazy2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :snigger: Now boys settle down..

Is this what they mean by a love / hate relationship? :crazy1:

The car might not have started but something has.  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Or maybe not?

:question:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
                                               :argh:
Bustid you know where I will be and what will be on my mind next Thursday.

Don't forget your notebook Gary, comrade Gerard requires a list  :crazy1: and no doubt photographic proof.  :crazy2:
Photos would be lovely  :victory:  Bonus points for short video, no commentary :scared:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 00:16:04 by tw2005 »

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
Currently moving house while sorting the car. Makes it hard for diagnostics, as its not at my place yet

I have tried to start thru all gear positions, no dice..  Relation to the the 80a fuse, seems that's a non replaceable. 

Few things to check next will be; pre pensioners state, gear position switch, yellow clips beside the radiator(disconnect these right?) And... Finally jump the starter if all else is failing

Great feedback guys thanks a lot
  • 2010 i30 sx, Auto, hatch 1.6l ...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The so called 'yellow clips' are actually the impact detectors, so they are now suss and you need to dump them.

I really think this is finger trouble so just jump start it and search later.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hard to imagine a fuse non-replaceable. where is it located? Is it the one left hand side viewing into the engine bay, small box full of relays? if it is that's the glow fuse.

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
The so called 'yellow clips' are actually the impact detectors, so they are now suss and you need to dump them.

will give this a crack tomorrow

Hard to imagine a fuse non-replaceable. where is it located? Is it the one left hand side viewing into the engine bay, small box full of relays? if it is that's the glow fuse.

yes thats the fuse, single 80 with a few relays...  Unless im mistaken, i couldnt remove the dead fuse.  Busted the clear cap off it already, pulling on either side of the metal tangs with pointy nose and wont release..  Not sure, looks like ill be solder/wiring another one on at a later date

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

will give this a crack tomorrow

yes thats the fuse, single 80 with a few relays...  Unless im mistaken, i couldnt remove the dead fuse.  Busted the clear cap off it already, pulling on either side of the metal tangs with pointy nose and wont release..  Not sure, looks like ill be solder/wiring another one on at a later date
Has the 150 A link been checked in the main engine bay fuse / relay box?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
this is the style of fuse for the glow, pretty hefty it will be in tight

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Before I draw up my list tomorrow  :whistler:, I checked our later manual to see if the above info remained current. It did.  :goodjob2:

But Gerard read it again, it is ambiguous.

Para 1. It says 'seat belts can be activated....'
Para 2. it says 'will not be activated if seat belts are not being worn.....'
Both occasions it is "belts" plural.
Unless they were anticipating later rear belts with pretension, there are only two that are going to be affected.
I cant see the point in saving one seatbelt when the rest of the devises have destroyed themselves.

Just saying like .. not trying to make a point or nothing, just thought I would mention it. :phone1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Before I draw up my list tomorrow  :whistler:, I checked our later manual to see if the above info remained current. It did.  :goodjob2:

But Gerard read it again, it is ambiguous.

Para 1. It says 'seat belts can be activated....'
Para 2. it says 'will not be activated if seat belts are not being worn.....'
Both occasions it is "belts" plural.
Unless they were anticipating later rear belts with pretension, there are only two that are going to be affected.
I cant see the point in saving one seatbelt when the rest of the devises have destroyed themselves.

Just saying like .. not trying to make a point or nothing, just thought I would mention it. :phone1:
I expect to be wrong, I do like evidence though, bit like fault finding. It's in my blood.

:rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :groan: guess its back to the list  :blubber:

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
Update, back at the car, yellow plugs dc'd..  Nothing
Seat belts locked both driver and passenger...

Is there a method to jumping the starter.. I know the principle but I cant even see the starter. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:17:46 by blastslayer »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:whistler: Hey Gerard,,,mate  :evil: alias @tw2005  noted?  :mrgreen:

Is there a method to jumping the starter.. I know the principle but I cant even see the starter. Thanks

You will find it easier to see from underneath if you don't know your way around the car.
On top of the starter is a smaller solenoid, it acts as a switch for the high amp 12v.
you can use a lighter wire from the battery or just get a screw driver and bridge 12v to one of the small tabs on the solenoid. Will be two of them. That will make it kick in and turn.
If you have the key to on, then hopefully engine will fire up.
good luck

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:whistler: Hey Gerard,,,mate  :evil: alias @tw2005  noted?  :mrgreen:

You will find it easier to see from underneath if you don't know your way around the car.
On top of the starter is a smaller solenoid, it acts as a switch for the high amp 12v.
you can use a lighter wire from the battery or just get a screw driver and bridge 12v to one of the small tabs on the solenoid. Will be two of them. That will make it kick in and turn.
If you have the key to on, then hopefully engine will fire up.
good luck
Oh well :blubber:

Offline blastslayer

• 2nd Gear
Didn't have to resort to squeezing under the car looking for the starter, who hooo

Alas, got the bastard.... :victory:

Was a severed earthwire , looking at engine between the battery and the fog light

Hmm.... Now what, any chance if re instating the seat belts for VERY minimal driving?

And guys, thanks heaps for input, so much response led to the result..

Nb. I used a staunch piece of wire To bridge the 80a, almost metled... Issue here maybe... Rekkon a new 80 amp could just blow

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Didn't have to resort to squeezing under the car looking for the starter, who hooo

Was a severed earthwire , looking at engine between the battery and the fog light

Hmm.... Now what, any chance if re instating the seat belts for VERY minimal driving?

Nb. I used a staunch piece of wire To bridge the 80a, almost metled... Issue here maybe... Rekkon a new 80 amp could just blow
Tell me. just  a tap, the drivers words or yours? Excuse my cynicism but may we have some images of this just a tap that was enough to deploy airbags and sever earth leads?

I would think negative for the belts. I'm assuming insurance is not an option here?
 :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Tell me. just  a tap, the drivers words or yours? Excuse my cynicism but may we have some images of this just a tap that was enough to deploy airbags and sever earth leads?

I would think negative for the belts. I'm assuming insurance is not an option here?
 :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

I have to add my cynicism to my colleague's astute and SANE comments.

For my part, my assistance was only aimed at getting the car out of your friend's driveway, not putting a frigging death trap back on the road!  :crazy1:

I should add, in case you missed it earlier, I regularly work with this type of damage. Your car has had extensive internal and probably structural damage. It is probably a write off.

New seat belts and off on our merry way?  Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  Who do intend to kill?    :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:     :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Very interested in pics. Given the usual length of a driveway and the 'give' a garage door would give in such an impact I too am somewhat sceptical. For the airbags to deploy, you would need some degree of speed, the type that would punch through a garage door and probably through whatever wall lives at the end of the garage. I dare say the house would be in need of some degree of support, and the car in need of skull dragging out via a tow.

But my Wife will tell me I am often wrong  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl:
I must have married her sister

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
She must be one of triplets!  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal