i30 Owners Club

Starting issue 2011 1.6ltr

Offline blou bul

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Witbank
Hi my Hyundai i30 2011 1.6 Start out with struggling to start sometime and when it start the ref counter meter are not working and esp off light is on. After restarting everthing is fine. No fault code is showing. Since last week the car stalls when slowing down or waiting on robot for green light. .   Any ideas 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 13:32:24 by blou bul »
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 2011

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi my Hyundai i30 2011 1.6 Start out with struggling to start sometime and when it start the ref counter meter are not working and esp off light is on. After restarting everthing is fine. No fault code is showing. Since last week the car stalls when slowing down or waiting on robot for green light. .   Any ideas
Going to assume 1600 petrol engine here. @nzenigma

We've had a couple of funny ones recently surface in this forum for the 1600.

One here with a weird idle issue and cutoff, never resolved and car was offloaded. NZENIGNMA and I had the chance to look at that one , even swapped out crank sensor with no joy. Gut feeling for me at least was the ECU may have been suspect.

:link: engine stalling in park or neutral only

Then shortly after someone in Panama had a cutting out hard start issue. Also interesting in that this version has no immobiliser so that was out of the picture.

That ended up being bad ECU, bad capacitors on the board, he was able to get that repaired saving plenty.

:link: [SOLVED] Car cranks but no start, engine light takes a about a minute to light up

Bad crank sensors seem to pop up in discussion across the board for the petrol versions.

The ESP OFF light probably adds another dimension but I'm thinking if the TACHO is dead bad crank sensor is likely on the cards for this too.

I only have the diesels so I have no first hand experience, I'm sure you'll get some other opinions.

if you can hookup to the OBD2 port and read live data when all this is happening that may reveal some clues too.

@yodm  in Israel I think had a bad crank sensor, he has petrol, could be 1600 motor?

here's some interesting remarks from the man himself, sounds very similar

when this sensor starts to send unstable signal, you will have rough engine running, no RPM gauge, "ESP off" light on, engine will die on traffic lights and sometimes when you take your foot off the throttle. then you will have hard starting and all of the above symptoms.

:link: esp warning light and Crankshaft sensor warning light

:link: i30 FD 2011 1.4 - cranks but will not start

:link: Replacing the crank shaft sensor

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
What is the mileage like on the car?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
sounds like the crank shaft position sensor.
on the 1.6 petrol 122 hp , these will fail after a few years.
its pretty simple to get to and replace, not so expansive.
if the check engine light is not on, than you will get nothing out of the OBD2, when the sensor will degrade more, you will have a fault code.
the garage where I replaced mine, says he replacing these sensors a lot.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline blou bul

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Witbank

Offline blou bul

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Witbank
Hi my Hyundai i30 2011  1.6 petrol has been sorted out. crankshaft sensor were the culprit. . Thanks
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 2011

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi my Hyundai i30 2011  1.6 petrol has been sorted out. crankshaft sensor were the culprit. . Thanks
  :goodjob2:  :goodjob:  thanks for the feedback. It's invaluable to validate symptoms and the fix so we provide the best advice  :victory:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
How much did Hyundai ZA charge for the part?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal