i30 Owners Club

2011 i30 1.6L Petrol Auto 120K Things to look for...

Offline Alternate

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, W.A
Hi All,

Looking for something economical and reliable for running around the city and, if I'm being honest, it's probably going to get driven into the ground :)

So I am planning on looking at a 2011 i30 1.6L Petrol Auto with about 120K. Trips will be short, it will hit the freeway a few times a week, but never leave the city so I don't think the diesel will be an advantage as by the time it gets to its peak operating temp we'll have arrived :)

I've been madly googling for common problems (how I found this forum) and so far it looks like the only sticking point might be the 4 speed auto? Or is that just a case of the loud few?

So apart from the usual checks, I'll pay close attention to delays in selecting reverse and erratic gear changing behaviour. Are there other things this particular model might be known for?

Cheers!
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi mate and Welcome.

Yes, some issues with the transmission. Would you consider a manual? More economical and if the clutch has good feel then probably last longer. You are on the money with what to look out for if you must have the auto.

The other issue with some FD's is electronic power steering failure, which isn't as easy to test for in a second hand car. You would be unlucky to get caught with that one, but need to be aware of it.

Both issues are relatively rare which still makes the i30 one of the more reliable cares in its class.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Alternate

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, W.A
I would go a manual, but I won't be the primary driver so not entirely up to me!

I'm glad to hear that it is rare, so I won't discount it just yet. From reading a few posts it sounds like if it were to be on its way out it's apparent by 100k (and in the diesel more often than not) so hopefully it will be obvious one way or another.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 00:16:11 by Alternate »
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would go a manual, but I won't be the primary driver so not entirely up to me!

I'm glad to hear that it is rare, so I won't discount it just yet. From reading a few posts it sounds like if it were to be on its way out it's apparent by 100k (and in the diesel more often than not) so hopefully it will be obvious one way or another.

Fair call. Thought that might be the case. :goodjob:

Yes, I think you are right. Mainly 2010  models , diesels more than petrol and for some reason I think more CW (wagons) than hatches. :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
I have the cw 1.6 auto from early 2010 with 230000 km.
I have it for a bit less then 2 years now.
Transmission is fine, only 2 issues during that time
1. Crank shaft position sensor
2. Engine fan broke down
Other than that, a few minor things like window switch.
It's not an economic car. My Citroën C4 also with auto 4 gear tran. Had a much better fuel range.

• I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal