2018 PD2 SR Premium suspension failure

bws2570 · 81 · 14065

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

I'm still dying to find out the detail.  :winker:

As WE all are!  Its the original context of this thread.  :mrgreen:

As it appears the OP only signed up to tell us he damaged the front strut and successfully had Hyundai take the blame mostly likely he wil; never return.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You guys are a bit harsh! I don't think they will now!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can you Hyundai loving employees please tone it down.

I'm still waiting for the bloke who had a minor bingle into a garage door and blew out the airbags to get back to us..... I won't be able to see his posts over all this talk.

I have no doubt something happened. I dare say if was fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and old mate expected a brand new car with numerous upgrades and a million years of free servicing.  Some people expect the world but only want to pay for an Atlas.

I looked at the Federal body he mentioned and if he called them, im sure they would have referred him to the ACCC who would have said you had a problem and they fixed it case closed.

But my wife is fond of telling me that I am often wrong, But not as wrong as the Lexus I saw yesterday with the personalised plates Korean.....

I also think old mate was fairly abrasive so if he dosen't return, I don't think the forum will be at a great loss.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Think some of the posters need to take a step back. 
A car with so few k's on the clock to have a suspension fail is utter bullshit.
I imagine it will be repaired and a guarantee given, but would any of you be happy with that?  Doubt it. 
Speed bump damage ???? are you for real.
Even driving over an object, would need to be massive to wreck a strut. 
They give these things a work out on their test tracks without dropping the front end. 
I guess he's lucky to tell the tale. 
Who's old enough to remember the first Falcons in the 60's with their No8 wire caster rods that failed so spectacularly.
Many of those drivers were not so lucky.
  • i-30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
fairly minor in the grand scheme of things

Tis our new moto.  ;)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I imagine it will be repaired and a guarantee given, but would any of you be happy with that?  Doubt it. 
They give these things a work out on their test tracks without dropping the front end. 
Who's old enough to remember the first Falcons in the 60's with their No8 wire caster rods that failed so spectacularly.

I do have to agree. although i think I'm in the minority. I was on the fence with this one. Hence I didn't go in boots and all.

I could understand the poster being upset and maybe angry. Thought a one star review online was a bit savage though.

I'm generally of the opinion that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Also that two wrongs don't make a right.

I think in future in situations like this we need to step back a little and tactfully suggest some alternative viewpoints without resorting to character assassination or ridicule.  :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Nicely written, crayman.

I reckon this topic got more than a bit toxic very quickly.
Yes. The OP came on strong in the beginning but I found that somewhat understandable given the fright he or she must have experienced.

It is certainly possible to have a suspension failure due to either a one off faulty manufactured part or as a result of damage incurred in the days beforehand, possibly even when the car is being driven by a family member. And at night in particular, a foreign object loose on the road or spun out from another vehicles wheels, or a pothole can go unnoticed if your vision is directed even slightly off line from the direction where the object comes from.

I copped a soccer ball sized and shaped rock into the front corner of my company car which flew out from the dual wheels of a tip truck going the other way once. The angle of approach was such that had I even been looking straight ahead I would not have seen it. As it happened I was glancing to my right to check the outside mirror and saw it coming at me.
Perhaps in future we could try to be a little more understanding and remember that not all posters live their lives on this forum. A visit may be just that and they don't
all makee regular revisits.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks like Dazz and I are on the same page.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I think in future in situations like this we need to step back a little and tactfully suggest some alternative viewpoints without resorting to character assassination or ridicule.  :cool:

Mate with respect,

I am still pissed off!
I dont see how in this environment we can act more reasonably. The complainant utilizing social media to vent her speen.

What transpired ( and is still transpiring) is predictable.

As per the other,  :rolleyes: I tried to hose it down.

When I first read her accusations, I smelt a rat, she let it run while it suited her, when I suggested a logical reason , eg, 'she hit something in the dark', she started to blaze away at any detractor.'

That was a calculated response, made over a week after the accident.

We still have no evidence of a faulty component or that Hyundai considered that they were responsible.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:16:12 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hi @crayman

I think you are reading my question out of context here - I am truly asking that question because I know nothing about cars, and since I have the same model car as OP, I'm just curious to learn if it possible so I can take it easy on the car over those things. 

My question was never intend to ridicule to OP in any shape or form.

Kind Regards. :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I might add, over the last week, I have repaired two GDs that had been crippled when the passenger wheel hit a post or kerb.,

I dont exaggerate the term  'crippled' , however the strut survived  the impact intact, one was bent.
 No weld breaks, still working.!
 control arm on one was twisted, but both cars were mobile again after 3 hrs work.

Pictures taken with the intent of posting some evidence   :wacko: but just cant be bothered entertaining and continuing this issue,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Settle down Gary. Take a chill pill mate!

What I think Crayman, Trevor and I are trying to say is things aren't always as cut and dried as you and some others see them.

You call a spade a spade I get that. You senior gents don't suffer fools lightly..  :whistler: :snigger:

But let me explain the way I see it. Giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

Let's say the poster is a woman (or a man) with very limited mechanical knowledge. They have a component failure in one corner of the car which makes it drop in one corner and become hard to control. They ring Hyundai who arranges to have the vehicle towed to their workshop. They are then told a component has failed . They ask what component and are told it was a strut.

They are rightly pissed off and come on a site like this to vent their frustration and ask for advice...

This is all possible and realistic even though to someone like you it probably seems hard to understand..

Can you at least see how that person would feel with some of the responses they received on here.

They may very well have hit something with or without knowing it. But nobody can know for sure.  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
Let's say the poster is a woman (or a man)

I think you covered most of the bases there Dazz :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: Dazzler
Let's say the poster is a woman (or a man)

I think you covered most of the bases there Dazz :snigger:

Oh hang on.. Or a transgender person...  :-[

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can you Hyundai loving employees please tone it down.

I'm still waiting for the bloke who had a minor bingle into a garage door and blew out the airbags to get back to us..... I won't be able to see his posts over all this talk.

I have no doubt something happened. I dare say if was fairly minor in the grand scheme of things and old mate expected a brand new car with numerous upgrades and a million years of free servicing.  Some people expect the world but only want to pay for an Atlas.

I looked at the Federal body he mentioned and if he called them, im sure they would have referred him to the ACCC who would have said you had a problem and they fixed it case closed.

But my wife is fond of telling me that I am often wrong, But not as wrong as the Lexus I saw yesterday with the personalised plates Korean.....

I also think old mate was fairly abrasive so if he dosen't return, I don't think the forum will be at a great loss.
He sold the car on Gumtree
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Without getting any further detail would be interesting to know how easily a front strut could fail.

Directed at our Techies, are they just a steel bar? I assume they are not say cast aluminium on our cars. Wonder if it was a mounting point or the strut itself.  :undecided: So many questions!  :crazy1:

This is why the 'old Gent' eventually made a considered and rational call on the reason for the failure.

The LH side is the most Vulnerable , it is less in the sight of the driver ( more so at night) and in the case of an impending impact, the driver instinctively steers to protect him/her/its self  :cool:

Consequently, when doing repairs last week, I found no Brizzy wrecker had a LH control arm. Given that I urgently needed the car mobile, I eventually used a new after market one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Gary that does illustrate how much has to fail to cause a catastrophic result.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I that was still driveable (just) with that damage? :undecided: 

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks Gary that does illustrate how much has to fail to cause a catastrophic result.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I that was still driveable (just) with that damage? :undecided:

No, the control arm was bent badly enough to force the tyre back into the wheel arch. Tyre blew.
I just replaced the arm but left the strut in place then took it for a drive. Not perfect but steered straight Mr average wouldnt tell the difference. This way I could check for any unknowns.
 At the moment, with Gerard's wisdom, Im sorting correct spring for the replacement strut.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You did well to work out what I meant! Don't know what happened there!  :crazy1:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'll take myself off to the naughty corner  :-[

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll take myself off to the naughty corner  :-[

Don't feel too badly. In Lester speak 100% of your posts make good sense.  :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal