i30 Owners Club

I don't know where to start

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hey everyone, not sure I'm posting in the correct place, my poor old i30 needs some love. It's a 2010 model (debatable, the VIN says 2011... Used car dealer stated 2010), nearly 100,000K's, have had it about 5 years. I'd like to spend some money on the car, about $1000, but not sure where to start. Here's a list of what needs to be done:

- Drivers side door and left rear passenger doors are two different shades of white, guessing the clear coat is fading. Also drivers side door has oil splash marks on it, also has rust on bottom interior of door seam (probably due to broken automated window mechanism letting water in due to loose window), also previous dent near door handle from previous owner is starting to show through since my purchase (wasn't noticeable at the time)
- Front bumper plastic isn't falling off, but is cracked, so would need to be fixed for resale (?)
- Various millimetre rust spots at window frames/door handle.
- Rear bumper has numerous paint scratches.
- Black rubber around windscreen is bubbled and cracked.
- Interior wise: rear passenger door, piece of armrest fabric missing near pocket,
exposing yellow structure underneath (dog chewed), requires a replacement door skin.

I'm not too car savvy myself, so not sure what I'd even need to ask for to amend the paint problems, or if I'd be able to afford it.

Ideally would like to fix the worst of it all for resale in the future (1-2 years or earlier if I could trade in for a fair price). I haven't had an appraisal done in current condition yet, but considering it.
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Oh dear! Doesn't sound good. I'd be spending as little as possible. If it were me I'd be trawling wreckers yards and ebay for bits to swap over including a white door or two.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:mrgreen:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :plus1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mate if your looking to trade it, the dealers will rip you off either way. Keep the money in your pocket and drive her into the ground.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Start off by getting a valuation.

Once you have that you can decide if spending money going to be worth it for the next 2 years or so.

It will also give you an idea of what areas may be best to spend $$ on to keep resale value up.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
It's already been said but my two cents is  :wts:

No use polishing a turd is it....   :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks everyone for the advice
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
now you know where to start.  :D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I'm back. We had the window regulator replaced yesterday. The car went in for a look at the EPS and ESP lights, so we just went ahead and got the replacement done as it'd had been too long in the tooth not to. I'm talking 12 months plus. So now remains the only problems with the car are cosmetic, mechanically sound otherwise. To reiterate, cosmetically, there's rust on the driver's side bottom door seam, the front bumper has a 50 cent diameter crack, as well as unnoticeable damage to the grill, the rear bumper has numerous scratches that go through to the grey underneath the paint (paint chips/flaking also), previous paint chips that were "repaired" at the purchase of the car are showing slight rust, and the paint work around the entire car needs a decent polish (think two different toned car doors, oil splatter). Internally, there's also a fragment of door skin missing near the arm rest pocket of the rear passenger seat.
What I'd like to know, is if it's worth all these repairs and then trying for resale, or trying for resale as is? I've seen other cars on carsales, with the same amount of K's, going for between $7000 and $10000, but definitely better looking than mine.

Side note: The reason I'm looking at a new car (used or otherwise), is after having a bub and planning on a second, we don't feel the car is large enough - especially after taking it on a 2100km round trip - for all of us. Boot space and rear passenger room feels limited.
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'm back. The car went in for a look at the EPS and ESP lights, so we just went ahead and got the replacement done as it'd had been too long in the tooth not to.

You didn't mention that  :faint:
Hope you followed our advice.

I would drive it into the ground, as you have been advised.

Car sounds worth maybe $3000.  :undecided:

If you are talking about buying a brand new car, the dealer will make sure you get nothing for your trade, even though he will ' adjust' the price to make you happy.
Then by driving out of the dealership, think of the 10-15% of your new purchase price that you have just squandered.

Buy a 2nd hand low Ks diesel wagon.  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

But you may still be able able to tidy it up enough to get a bit more in a private sale by switching  a few bits of the worst stuff with better bits from a wreckers yard.  Plus a bit of detailing.  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal