i30 Owners Club

2017 (2016 Model 27k) i30 Vibration

Mark65 · 9 · 7036

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi all,
So here i am again, I have had my car about 2 months now and ive noticed the i30 diesel vibration on my car at pretty much bang on 2000rpm as i pass through it, i can sit at 2k with no vibes, come down through 2k no vibes and if i go up through it slowly its not there, it just appears from 2-5 when putting foot down.
Ive read through the posts on the tinternet and its a mixed bag, if i go over a rough tarmac with my crappy tyres (only 1 is original) with them at 36psi all round the feeling is not far off what i feel through the car and steering wheel. Its not a big deal if its resonance as ive had that and engine vibes on some motorcycles and after some searching it seems common for many makes of diesels to have a vibration around 2k.
So I have 1.5 years of warranty on the car left, is it a serious fault or just resonance do you think, i have run 2 tankfulls of shell premium through it  :confused:, about £8 more a tank and this time ive used plain Esso diesel with some Archoil 6900 D. I am thinking of changing tyres as well.
Any thoughts please.
Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 14:41:43 by Mark65 »
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear
Hello, I had exactly the same problem with my diesel GD 2013.
After clutch replacement vibrations are gone...

Gesendet von meinem SM-A505FN mit Tapatalk

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi,
Had a quick look under bonnet and i found the heat shield behind the engine that covers the turbo? and  cat/dpf? is bloody loose, has about half inch of play side to side and a tiny bit of up and down on both bolts.
Im not messing with the bolts in case they shear, i cant see that being the cause?.

Thanks
Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi,
Had a quick look under bonnet and i found the heat shield behind the engine that covers the turbo? and  cat/dpf? is bloody loose, has about half inch of play side to side and a tiny bit of up and down on both bolts.
Im not messing with the bolts in case they shear, i cant see that being the cause?.

Thanks
Mark

I'd give the bolts a good squirt with WD 40 or some other penetrating oil while the engine is cold and leave for half an hour then gently tighten them. I can't see them shearing off unless you use excessive force. I doubt that is the source of your resonance.

I also doubt the resonance is the sign of a major issue. What mileage has your car done and how does the clutch feel?

@Vitruvian what mileage had yours done at that time and did it get done under warranty? Clutch repair under warranty is often disputed under the wear and tear/mechanical abuse banner...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
I've done about 1200m since I bought it and has 27 thousand miles on it, I don't usually feel it as I drive like and old boy and unless I'm on the motorway it never sees 2k really.
As it is it doesn't bother me, I will just keep an eye on it.
Thanks
Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Vitruvian

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

Thanks
Mark

I'd give the bolts a good squirt with WD 40 or some other penetrating oil while the engine is cold and leave for half an hour then gently tighten them. I can't see them shearing off unless you use excessive force. I doubt that is the source of your resonance.

I also doubt the resonance is the sign of a major issue. What mileage has your car done and how does the clutch feel?

@Vitruvian what mileage had yours done at that time and did it get done under warranty? Clutch repair under warranty is often disputed under the wear and tear/mechanical abuse banner...
I changed clutch at 120 000km due oil leak on it from gearbox.
Improper oil seal betwen gearbox and clutch housing cause leak of gearbox oil on clutch.

This is common problem for GD produced until 2014. After 2014. they replaced that part with bigger.

Clutch was still good, but I changed it anyway.

Russian forum about seal problem:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/9397650/

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi,

Thanks
Mark

I changed clutch at 120 000km due oil leak on it from gearbox.
Improper oil seal betwen gearbox and clutch housing cause leak of gearbox oil on clutch.

This is common problem for GD produced until 2014. After 2014. they replaced that part with bigger.

Clutch was still good, but I changed it anyway.

Russian forum about seal problem:
:link: Сальник первичного вала КПП — ошибка разработчиков? — KIA Ceed, 1.6 л., 2014 года на DRIVE2

Wow! Thanks that is VERY interesting for me because that happened to my wife's 2014 1.6 petrol GD Tourer. I didn't realise it was quite common..Her clutch was replaced too.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi all,  a bit of an update, I had been reading about vibrations in diesels and other brands of cars have this vibration around 2k as well.
I did come across some information about injectors causing vibrations so as I don't know what fuel was put in my car before I bought it I thought I've nothing to loose, I bought some Archoil 6900 D Max and started using it.
It's been about 2k since I started to use it and before I did I hade vibes in 2nd then heavier Inn 3rd, 4th and 5th, now there is none in 2nd, virtually none in 3rd and a lot less in 4th and 5th,so I'm going to try the 6400 D Max as this is a straight cleaner they both allegedly clean the fuel and turbo and dpf, that's another thing I don't feel when it's regening now, I will update in another 1k.
Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 21:13:01 by Mark65 »
  • i30 CRDi

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi,
Here we are in December, and the car has 30k on it now, I ran the Archoil 6400-D through and carried on using their 6900-D, as before no vibes in 2nd, virtually nothing in 3rd and 4th,5th have dropped so low as I dont really notice, the car also feels nippier now.

Now is it the cleaner or just my way of driving the car over the past 7 months?, at first I wondered if the heavy plastic under shield was the source vibrating as that would need to be removed and re installed on the cars that had new clutches and reported the vibration gone, an article or two I came across suggested carbon build up on the turbo could unbalance it and another suggested crap fuel and carbon build up could cause the fuel/air mix to go out of sync in a cylinder or two at that rev range but other makes and models seem to have problem's around 2k revs as well if you google it.
And regens, I have no idea when it does them now, no smell, no raised revs, no minor vibrations, no major fuel economy drops that I can tell.

Any way I will see how I go over the next year, as Toyah said "Its A Mystery".

Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal