i30 Owners Club

Wheel Locks for 2017/18 i30 SR

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I live in a sometimes sketchy part of Australia, depending on the season and I'm dead worried my wheels will be jacked one day....it happened to a colleague of mine about 3 months ago. Thing is, we live in a complex which only has an open air parking lot so it can be quite easy for people to jack the wheels.

I've looked all possible options from installing a motion capable alarm system to wheel clamps/boots but they're probably unfit for my place or just too clunky thus....wheel locks. A wheel lock lug nut on each wheel should be good enough to deter the bastards as I doubt they're too smart and I've looked at a few and this gorilla x2 looks promising. Can someone help point me in the right direction as to what size I should be aiming for? I don't have my i30 yet so can't really refer to the manual.

:link: Gorilla Automotive Products

:link: Gorilla Automotive Products

Thanks all you wonderful peoples!
  • i30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I use the Work aluminium nuts on mine but sizing is the same for all i30's m12 x 1.50 :link: Hyundai i30 2018 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:23:16 by CraigB »

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I use the Worx aluminium nuts on mine but sizing is the same for all i30's m12 x 1.50 :link: Hyundai i30 2018 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com

thanks Craig, just what I was looking for! Could you point a link to the worx nuts that you mentioned? Google ain't showing up anything and also....do you think these are a good idea? Reference 21mm is for Hyundai which I'm assuming is the i30 as well, whatever that means.

:link: STRONG Wheel Lock Nuts by DUTTON PERFORMANCE FRANCE | eBay
  • i30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry I made a spelling mistake  :head_knock: should be “Work” they are similar to Rays - Volks etc, probably not necessary in your case if you just want a single lock nut per wheel, I bought them to go with the light weight wheels I purchased :link: Lug Nuts
Yes 21mm is what you need :goodjob2: you could call into any tire shop and purchase a set of lock nuts for $20-$30

I would be cautious of those locking caps you linked, if they’re designed to sit over the existing nut they might not fit into the recessed nut holes :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline jezgadi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry I made a spelling mistake  :head_knock: should be “Work” they are similar to Rays - Volks etc, probably not necessary in your case if you just want a single lock nut per wheel, I bought them to go with the light weight wheels I purchased :link: Lug Nuts
Yes 21mm is what you need :goodjob2: you could call into any tire shop and purchase a set of lock nuts for $20-$30

I would be cautious of those locking caps you linked, if they’re designed to sit over the existing nut they might not fit into the recessed nut holes :undecided:

thx, didn't realise these things came so cheap. I think I'll pay a visit to the Supercheap as you described in the other link, that should be enough to deter the bastards in my area.
  • i30 SR

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Nothing a Glock won't fix  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hate to break it to you, lock nuts aren't unbeatable. Most are a minor speed bump, will deter a lazy thief though. Coming from 8 years of working in tyre shops and plenty of lost lock nut sockets.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hate to break it to you, lock nuts aren't unbeatable. Most are a minor speed bump, will deter a lazy thief though. Coming from 8 years of working in tyre shops and plenty of lost lock nut sockets.
No one said they weren't unbeatable, the whole point of the wheel locks is to deter the quick opportunist.

I like to see someone try and get mine off without stuffing the wheel though, recess and spacing make it virtually impossible without the proper tool, if they were to try and smash on a normal socket they'll just strip the aluminium barbs and a standard socket wont even fit the normal nuts as most sockets are generally to thick to fit between the recess :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal