i30 Owners Club

Rear passenger door stuck in central locking

Offline pokemon123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello all, hope someone can help or give me an indication of how much this might cost to fix

I have had a 2008 I30 Comfort for just over a year with no problem or faults until this.

Unlocked the car using central locking and all the doors unlock except the rear left passenger door.

I have open the central locking mechanism manually (feels a bit limp) but door still wont open from inside or either. I have tried pulling the door leaver while pressing the central locking key to unlock but no luck either.

I can see the central locking mechanism move/flinch when i press the central locking fob or button in the car but there doesnt seem to be enough force to unlock it.

If anyone could help with this in terms of what it might be or how much this would cost would be great. I know very little about cars and will either be taking it to my local mechanic or hyundai dealer (whichever will be cheaper).

Thanks
  • Hyundai I30 (2008)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Without taking a look at it myself I wouldn't have full confidence in an answer but I'd try some lubricating of the solenoid and then replacement if that doesn't improve.

Part of wanting to look at it myself is to look at current consumption of that solenoid compared to the others in case there's some electrical concern but that would end in replacement anyway. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Without taking a look at it myself I wouldn't have full confidence in an answer but I'd try some lubricating of the solenoid and then replacement if that doesn't improve.

Part of wanting to look at it myself is to look at current consumption of that solenoid compared to the others in case there's some electrical concern but that would end in replacement anyway. :confused:

How do we do this if the door can't be opened  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah, I see. I'd trace the wiring to where it's accessible beyond the locked door and then independently try to energise the solenoid from there.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It is reported as feeling sloppy, I'm thinking a cable is broken or stretched. :(

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well, that certainly limits the options to working from inside. Get advice from an experienced dealer or workshop.

I think there's a similar case being duscussed in another thread. The answer there is trim and glass removal but if it can't be opened at all, that's going to be a tough one. :eek:

Does 'seeing the mechanism flinch' mean you can get a flat thin tool in there to help? Once open, the options are much better.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:19:26 by The Gonz »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't know how, but most doors can be opened with the right tool. :whistler: The trim is easy to remove once opened of course.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Maybe stopping on the side of the road, taping up the edges of all other doors and calling road service to unlock it will do the trick. :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It may come to that.

This may help

:link: 2k9 power door lock.pdf - Google Drive
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:22:12 by Phil №❶ »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Guarantee it's the door lock actuator. Open the window and reach in. Constantly alternate pressing lock unlock on remote with one hand while "helping" lock button in same direction with other hand. Works every time, might take a minute. Varys from car to car.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is this the 2nd such problem with door lock in 24 hours?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I thought I read two threads about the same problem. :confused:

Offline pokemon123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
This is the first time this has happened. If anyone has the link to the other post with the same problem, could you please put it on here so that I can follow it and see what is being said on that post.

From what I have read on here, it could be the actuator and will convey this to the mechanic.

Many thanks for your suggestions
  • Hyundai I30 (2008)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Follow the advice @ #9 here. This is from a Hyundai Technician.

Offline pokemon123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks all, seems the advice no9 did the trick. The mechanic didn't do anything else apart from exactly what was on 9. I was not to sure how much assistance I should give  without doing damage. Thank you all.
  • Hyundai I30 (2008)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Pays to have an expert around. :D :goodjob:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Good result.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Seems there may be a recent recall for the door cables  :undecided:
I'm waiting for clarification (depends on the VIN apparently).

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If actuator not on the recall list per my local dealer when asked re son's car
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Special thanks to cruiserfied.  :hatoff:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Special thanks to cruiserfied.  :hatoff:

Yeah, he's sure earning his money :whistler: :winker:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline pokemon123

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just thought to ask what exactly is the fault or needs replaced as it happens intermittently??

I can let my mechanic know so that he may order/look for the part that needs replaced.

Also if you can give me a rough idea of how much it would cost (part and fixing) would be great??

Many Many Thanks
  • Hyundai I30 (2008)

Offline SPO1952

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Prittlewell, Essex
I am very happy man, I have just followed the advice given by Hyundai technician #9 and the stuck/locked left hand rear door on my 2007 i30 was unlocked. thank you #9 and all the members of my new club.   :razz:
  • i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I am very happy man, I have just followed the advice given by Hyundai technician #9 and the stuck/locked left hand rear door on my 2007 i30 was unlocked. thank you #9 and all the members of my new club.   :razz:

Welcome to the Club, happy man...  :wttc:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Good stuff. Just remember it is probably going to need the actuator replaced as that little trick won't work forever. Don't wanna have to cut through the door trim :)

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...

Good stuff. Just remember it is probably going to need the actuator replaced as that little trick won't work forever. Don't wanna have to cut through the door trim :)

Ok, I've just come across this problem myself but can't unlock the door no matter what I do  :'(
I've removed the surround from around the inner door handle and lock button/lever and can see the cable going from there to the actuator. I tried using pointy nose pliers to pull on the cable but the further the lock button/lever moves the less room there is for the pliers so I couldn't unlock it far enough.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.  :goodjob2:
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Try giving it a bit of a bash just below the outer door handle when operating the locks with the remote. You'll never be able to manually unlock it because the lock is deadlocked. Has to be released electronically or with some 007 shit with drills and hammers and stuff (at least thats what I pretend when I have to do it 😎)

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
Ok, I'll give it a go.
When I was trying to unlock it by pulling on the cable I had already unlocked the car with the remote.
I've actually pulled the opposite door trim off so I can see how it works. I tried pulling on the cable on the other back door and it unlocked easily but with the door trim off there's much more room.
Hopefully your suggestion works otherwise.....
  • Hyunda FD i30 x 2 / Toyota Mr2 turbo / Toyota Corolla 4wd / Nissan Condor truck

Offline Tullybanana1

• 2nd Gear
  • Tullybanana1

• au Australia
      Victoria

• Mmm....Turbo's...
An update for those that are interested.
I went to move the i30 yesterday morning and what do you know, the door unlocked!
I've now removed the door trim and was going to possibly replace the actuator but it's all working again .
I lubed up a couple of spots and have left the door trim off for the next couple of weeks to monitor it, we'll see what happens...... .
Cheers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal