i30 Owners Club

Replacement Clutch due to vibration noise (Was:Replacement Flywheel - 1.6CRDi)

Lorian · 61 · 28549

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Does that mean we will never know, or can you ask to see the part.  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
In light of Lorians update I'm tempted to think its a turbo issue, because not having driven another I can't say for sure, but the boost from the turbo is very tame and seems stunted by this mystery vibration. Ours has already been in for various bits to try to eliminate it but still the noise persists.

If the flywheel has been replaced  and it's still happening, there's definitely another cause. Mine is going in next week to see what can be done. Il keep updating with progress.
  • FD I30 1.6 crdi premium 6spd 2010

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
In light of Lorians update I'm tempted to think its a turbo issue, because not having driven another I can't say for sure, but the boost from the turbo is very tame and seems stunted by this mystery vibration. Ours has already been in for various bits to try to eliminate it but still the noise persists.

If the flywheel has been replaced  and it's still happening, there's definitely another cause. Mine is going in next week to see what can be done. Il keep updating with progress.
Does yours have a vibration or is it just the noise? There is the ECU upgrade for a rattle/knocking noise around 1800rpm but if you can feel a vibration it won't be that.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
Does yours have a vibration or is it just the noise? There is the ECU upgrade for a rattle/knocking noise around 1800rpm but if you can feel a vibration it won't be that.

It's more of a noise than a physical vibration, the noise is audible from outside as well. very strong from 3rd through to 6th gear under hard acceleration. That is why hyundai have found it hard to replicate in workshop. They acknowledge it's there and state they will sort it but don't know what it is.

I might ask about ecu updates and see what they say.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

It's more of a noise than a physical vibration, the noise is audible from outside as well. very strong from 3rd through to 6th gear under hard acceleration. That is why hyundai have found it hard to replicate in workshop. They acknowledge it's there and state they will sort it but don't know what it is.

I have the U2 engine and think I have the same symptom you describe. I'd call it a loud humming between about 1700 —1900 rpm and a minor vibration. I'd also been thinking it was related  to the turbo spooling  up with the engine under load. Contrary to my previous post I now think it  is more evident in 3rd gear onwards. I am starting to wonder if it's just a normal phenomenon.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
As per above,

Sounds exactly like ours, small physical vibration but loud aural vibration under load 15 - 1900rpm from 3rd up to 6th. Nothing in 1st gear and almost nothing in 2nd gear. Damn frustrating!

Otherwise the engine is great.

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
Found this on another forum! Possibly clutch issue, Im still adamant its turbo related though!

"I have seen this in Hyundai CRDi engines also, although the "vibration" in this case is just really minimal. The whole car does not shake because of this. And the Hyundai service engineer claims that is a design flaw with the clutch which gets triggered when the turbo comes on???"

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Does that mean we will never know, or can you ask to see the part.  :eek:

I guess where never gonna know Phil and I have been sat here, on the edge of my seat, busting a gut to know the answer to this riddle <sigh>   

Life's full of disappointments ain't it

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
With further driving today, vibration seems to have NOT been fixed by the new flywheel, and now I have a stiff/notch gear change to go with it - it used to be really slick.

Guess I need to call the dealer again on Monday, but given I only have a few weeks left on the warranty I don't like the way this is going.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I have the U2 engine and think I have the same symptom you describe. I'd call it a loud humming between about 1700 —1900 rpm and a minor vibration. I'd also been thinking it was related  to the turbo spooling  up with the engine under load. Contrary to my previous post I now think it  is more evident in 3rd gear onwards. I am starting to wonder if it's just a normal phenomenon.

My car didn't use to do it though - its only just started in the last few months.  Generally my hearing hasn't improved over that time.

Also I note that when the noise is occurring if I even VERY lightly touch the clutch it instantly stops until its released.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
With further driving today, vibration seems to have NOT been fixed by the new flywheel, and now I have a stiff/notch gear change to go with it - it used to be really slick.

Guess I need to call the dealer again on Monday, but given I only have a few weeks left on the warranty I don't like the way this is going.

You have made your claim before end of warranty. It's not your problem if Hyundai can't fix it before warranty expire.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It would appear that it is a manual thing. You simply don't get this with the auto, however, the auto doesn't have this type of clutch, or flywheel, so it doesn't help much, except to rule out the motor itself.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

The upgrade is more for a diesel knock around 1800-2200rpm so probably not it.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

My car didn't use to do it though - its only just started in the last few months.  Generally my hearing hasn't improved over that time.

Also I note that when the noise is occurring if I even VERY lightly touch the clutch it instantly stops until its released.
Has the clutch plate and cover ever been replaced? It could be the springs in the clutch plate, or the fingers of the clutch cover. Flywheel is already ruled out. Might even be thrust bearing vibrating.

Notchy gears could be cables routed wrong. Hopefully they put oil back in box.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The forum really appreciates your contributions cruiserfied  :Agoodpost:

You are like another pair of eyes ( and qualified ,too.).  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Mac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle upon tyne
Even if this is a flywheel or clutch issue our car is approaching 50k miles, which for a diesel in particular is nothing. The car has a full main dealer service history and since I came to recognise this issue we haven't realy done a great deal of miles in it so it can't be said its been neglected.

I'm tempted to try pressing the clutch down during the "activation" of the noise as Lorian suggested but I'm almost certain it will stop it once the clutch is pressed. This still does not eliminate the turbo from the issue as it only makes the noise under load anyway.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The vibration on mine is definitely secondary to the noise. It's smack on 1800rpm it starts.
Could you tell me the TSB number please?

Since the flywheel was done the vibration at idle seems back t normal. Its all so subjective though.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The vibration on mine is definitely secondary to the noise.

Could you tell me the TSB number please?
Sorry Lorian but I can't. You'll have to get your dealer to search it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Yes, sorry I shouldn't have even asked, I understand.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yes, sorry I shouldn't have even asked, I understand.
I have no problem with you asking. That's how questions get answered :) Thanks for understanding.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Is it possible to confirm that is for the 1.6CRDi though, not the 2.0?

Thanks.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yeah for 1.6CRDi we don't have 2.0CRDi in Australia.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
If this was a clutch/flywheel issue, is there a reason why the vibration or noise would only happen at certain rpm ie 1700-2000.
If it's turbo-related it might make sense in that this is the rpm where the turbo spools up.

Another perhaps unrelated symptom I have noticed, when the car is idling and I just rest my foot on the clutch, I can feel it pulsating. No issue when I push further or let it out completely. Does this mean anything?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

If this was a clutch/flywheel issue, is there a reason why the vibration or noise would only happen at certain rpm ie 1700-2000.
If it's turbo-related it might make sense in that this is the rpm where the turbo spools up.

Another perhaps unrelated symptom I have noticed, when the car is idling and I just rest my foot on the clutch, I can feel it pulsating. No issue when I push further or let it out completely. Does this mean anything?

The clutch/flywheel is only spinning as fast as the engine so in principal it is the same as you describe for the turbo.

I can only imagine that with foot only resting on pedal that the thrust bearing is moving with the minor insignificant differences in clutch cover finger height/tension. When you push down harder it equalises.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Early days but it appears this 1800rpm+ vibration/rattle has been fixed by a 3 part clutch kit.  Warranty  :mrgreen:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :fingers:

What were the 3 parts  :question:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Clutch plate, cover and release bearing, its all ordered as one kit.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 20:16:24 by Lorian »

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Lorian,
I am happy for you that this problem has now (hopefully) been fixed.

Has the workshop stated why the old clutch developed this problem after such a relatively small number of miles/kilometres?

Does this mean that the dual-mass flywheel was also a culprit, or was it replaced under warranty needlessly?

Paolo5

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought the clutch wasn't normally covered under warranty :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal