i30 Owners Club

I,m stressing about choosing the right vehicle

catmum · 27 · 4930

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
Just a bit nervous about buying a used vehicle that is going to hopefully live up to the reliability I got from my Getz for the last 10 years. I'm on the hunt for a reliable i30 , possibly a wagon. I drive mainly around the city with a freeway run often twice a week. On weekends I cart a lot of gear around and often filled my Getz to go do events.
Keen for a wagon and loving the idea of diesel economy but the ones Ive seen advertised in my pricerange of around $6K have 200K kms on them . I thought I had decided I wanted an auto this time but not so sure now. there are plenty of manuals with 150-200Km on them in my price range in petrol models around 2009 vintage...
I'm stressing and I shouldn't be. Son is a mechanic and FIFO, flies back in Tuesday so he can help  but I want to narrow it down so I am not looking at every car in Perth in my price range :)

all wise words of advice much appreciated
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Again Toni,

A diesel CW manual will be ideal if you can find one with under 160k. The Manual has been more bullet proof and is measurably more economical than the Auto in the series 1 FD version. The Diesel CW Manual is the pick of that series for looks, practicality and great economy as a bonus. Good luck with your search.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :iws:
Hi, Toni. Every detail you posted had me thinking FD CW CRDi manual. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
currently in my price range theres
a 2009MY10CW SX CRDI man wagon 173000 for $5890
VS
a 2012 turbo diesel SLX 190000 for $6000
both at dealerships and I loathe buying at dealerships, but  Id get my mechanic son  to come with me and check the vehicles out thoroughly
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

currently in my price range theres
a 2009MY10CW SX CRDI man wagon 173000 for $5890
VS
a 2012 turbo diesel SLX 190000 for $6000
both at dealerships and I loathe buying at dealerships, but  Id get my mechanic son  to come with me and check the vehicles out thoroughly

It's good there are two as, if they are not in the same group (AHG?) then you might be able to play one against the other. Also it gives the opportunity to drive both on the same day, time permitting, to get a good comparison.

At least buying from a dealer you have more chance of getting support if a fault appears within a week or two. If you buy a car of that age privately you are pretty much on your own once you drive away.

All things being equal, I hope the 2012 is the better car as it will have bluetooth and a couple of minor styling enhancements over the 2009 model.  Being 3 years newer can't be a bad thing either!

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
agreed, the 2012 has been at the dealership (not AHG) since 7May so I'll be keen for an EOFY discount too   :victory: I don't think I'll regret not getting an auto and the few little extras in a 2012 model will be a nice bonus.
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

agreed, the 2012 has been at the dealership (not AHG) since 7May so I'll be keen for an EOFY discount too   :victory: I don't think I'll regret not getting an auto and the few little extras in a 2012 model will be a nice bonus.

I'll be over there next month for my Dad's 97th Birthday. Shame it's still a few weeks away or I would have been happy to cast my eye over them for you. Being co-founder of the site 11 years ago and having owned 4 i30's including a Petrol CW and a Diesel Hatch I know a few things about them. Good luck.  :fingers:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm reading there isn't a lot of movement in the car market at the moment, so don't be afraid to push the price bar up a bit and send messages to sellers that are higher than your max. If they are prepared to entertain your offer go an look at them.

Your message implies your Getz is still going so no rush. The wagon is great but have a look at the hatch with the seats folded down. There is a massive amount of room in there and the seats fold flat.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm reading there isn't a lot of movement in the car market at the moment, so don't be afraid to push the price bar up a bit and send messages to sellers that are higher than your max. If they are prepared to entertain your offer go an look at them.

Your message implies your Getz is still going so no rush. The wagon is great but have a look at the hatch with the seats folded down. There is a massive amount of room in there and the seats fold flat.

I don't know what this guy is on (other than beer) but I want some... He comes up with some great thoughts!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You just like me because my kids think 'reduced to clear' is a brand name  :evil:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You just like me because my kids think 'reduced to clear' is a brand name  :evil:

:baps:

I like you now I'm adapting that one for facebook!  :judges: :ta:

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
Thanks Beerman, My poor Getz was written off in the rain last week when old mate in a Hummer assumed he had right of way because he had the biggest car   :Shocked: my insurance co. are going to be speaking with him.
I can actually fit all the gear into the Getz that I need to but it would be nice to have a little extra space. From what I’ve been able to find online about specs the i30 is a bit bigger than the Getz anyway so I’m not writing the hatch off as an option. My main concern is not buying a lemon so trying to educate myself on what to look out for.
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was a bit surprised when I searched FD CRDi manuals in WA on Carsales. I only came up with one wagon and 3 hatches total!  :undecided:

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
theres about 8-10  I've found on Gumtree and facebook, only a few have less than 190,000kms so its a bit of a juggling act to try sort into order of my most preferred to least preferred  :crazy1: and theyre at all at different locations an hour apart each  :head_knock:
from a  2010 $6000 122K CRDI hatchback that looks to be in awesome condition up to a 2012 253K CRDI SLX wagon  and plenty of 2009's in between  :eek: and that before I even get fussy about really wanting one in that beautiful bright mid blue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:15:04 by catmum »
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

theres about 8-10  I've found on Gumtree and facebook, only a few have less than 190,000kms so its a bit of a juggling act to try sort into order of my most preferred to least preferred  :crazy1: and theyre at all at different locations an hour apart each  :head_knock:
from a  2010 $6000 122K CRDI hatchback that looks to be in awesome condition up to a 2012 253K CRDI SLX wagon  and plenty of 2009's in between  :eek:

Great that you have some choice. Hope you don't miss out on a good one.  :fingers:

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth

I'll be over there next month for my Dad's 97th Birthday. Shame it's still a few weeks away or I would have been happy to cast my eye over them for you. Being co-founder of the site 11 years ago and having owned 4 i30's including a Petrol CW and a Diesel Hatch I know a few things about them. Good luck.  :fingers:
97 ! thats awesome...hope your Dad has an amazing birthday  :bd1:
  • 130 2010

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Beerman, My poor Getz was written off in the rain last week when old mate in a Hummer assumed he had right of way because he had the biggest car   :Shocked: my insurance co. are going to be speaking with him.
I can actually fit all the gear into the Getz that I need to but it would be nice to have a little extra space. From what I’ve been able to find online about specs the i30 is a bit bigger than the Getz anyway so I’m not writing the hatch off as an option. My main concern is not buying a lemon so trying to educate myself on what to look out for.

Bugger that makes it a touch more difficult. There is a bit of extra space in the wagon, and the wagon tailgate makes it a bit more accessable because there is no lip.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have hatches and a wagon. The wagon is quite versatile and  roomy.  It also has a higher roof line and the ride is much more supple compared to the hatch. 

SLX is a nice spec with better wheels, climate control A/C , cruise and radio volume controls on the wheel plus rear sensors(wagon)
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have hatches and a wagon. The wagon is quite versatile and  roomy.  It also has a higher roof line and the ride is much more supple compared to the hatch. 

SLX is a nice spec with better wheels, climate control A/C , cruise and radio volume controls on the wheel plus rear sensors(wagon)

Yeah an SLX would be nice. At least the SX in the Wagon still gets the nice more sturdy upholstery.  :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Yeah an SLX would be nice. At least the SX in the Wagon still gets the nice more sturdy upholstery.  :goodjob:
Yeah it's strange, the SX get's the same cloth as my SLX hatch, the SLX wagon is pretty plain material but I suspect the SLX seats also have better foam and are a bit firmer. Either that or my SX hatch has gone soft with age  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah it's strange, the SX get's the same cloth as my SLX hatch, the SLX wagon is pretty plain material but I suspect the SLX seats also have better foam and are a bit firmer. Either that or my SX hatch has gone soft with age  :lol:

We had a 2008 Slx and then later a MY11 SX CW and I think the seats were identical to the previous hatch. Definitely much nicer than the SX material. Mind you it was all academic as we had seat covers on the front of the hatch and on all seats in the CW as Trish used to cart lots of kids in that one.  :cool:

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth
Many thanks for the great advice
I’m now a very happy owner of a 2009 blue SX FD CRDI cw 5 spd and she drives superbly 👌can hardly believe how much more power she has than my Getz 😄

• 130 2010

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I’m now a very happy owner of a 2009 blue SX FD CRDI cw 5 spd and she drives superbly 👌can hardly believe how much more power she has than my Getz 😄

Congrats. The diesel turbo  manual combo does provide the best performance. Whilst the diesel only puts out 85Kw , it's the 255Nm of torque that gives a good push with the taller gears and I find it works effortlessly up hill and with extra bums in the seats.

We went from a 3.5L 6cyl petrol wagon @ 14l /100 to one of these and the i30 CRDi @5.6L / 100 does a mighty job, great for towing too. :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's awesome!  Congratulations! :happydance:

I've had some great cars over the years, but I'll never forget my first test drive in an FD Crdi Hatch. I waited 3 months for SWMBO colour choice to arrive.

The performance of that thing uphills was so much like a V6 and the 5.4 L/100 kms economy we averaged over the 2 years we owned her was just the icing on the cake.  :victory:

Offline catmum

• 2nd Gear

• Perth

That's awesome!  Congratulations! :happydance:

I've had some great cars over the years, but I'll never forget my first test drive in an FD Crdi Hatch. I waited 3 months for SWMBO colour choice to arrive.

The performance of that thing uphills was so much like a V6 and the 5.4 L/100 kms economy we averaged over the 2 years we owned her was just the icing on the cake.  :victory:

whats the  SWMBO colour Dazzler ?  :snigger:

The economy you guys are reporting is something I am looking forward to, not that the Getz used petrol but it didnt have the pulling power of this either. My mechanic son was amazed when I told him the figures.
  • 130 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: Yeah it does read a bit funny.. It's red if she doesn't get her way, but that particular car was Moonlight blue..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=11

and this was our CW...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=12

Perth is mostly flatter than Tassie so with a light foot you could average around 5.0 L/100 kms (The Getz was probably around mid 6's)

Might be worth investing in a misfuelling device though as if you put unleaded in by accident it can be disastrous.

:link: Solo Diesel Fuel Cap: SD2 Thread | RAA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've had low 5s i, say 5.1 in my SLX auto hatch. My manual sx hatch with nearly 400000k still returns figures as low as that or maybe a bit less , that's filling up and going on a continuous hwy cycle. Lowest I can get in the auto slx CW was 5.6. I don't know why but it should be line ball with the hatch.

All I know is I can drive them as hard as I like and still get reasonable figures for the performance :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal