i30 Owners Club

Xenon HID kit

Hemmi · 17 · 16501

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Bought a Xenon HID kit today, I was surprised how easy it was to install it.

Now I will never want to own a car with regular halogen bulb :lol:
It looks really good and the vision of the road ahead is superb! :cool:

It's H7 6000k. cost me 72 pounds, 130 AUD. Good price!

Before:

After:

One of the mechanics at work said I would probably have to replace the 15A fuse for the lights for a 20A fuse, each ballast that came with the kit draws max 10A at start, so that's 20A combined, they said it's best to let the fuse blow and than replace it, see how far I will get with the 15A, He also said fuses usually withhold more current than they're meant for, the 15A fuse could handle around 17A.

He also said it was stupid to have one fuse for the front lights, instead of two, so if the other lamp has a problem the other would stay in, the tail lights have two fuses. I agree with him.

:cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That looks great. A fine mod I must say :)

(is there any part of your i30 that you've not replaced yet? :P)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

That looks great. A fine mod I must say :)

(is there any part of your i30 that you've not replaced yet? :P)

The only original lights left are the front and side indicators and the fog lights :razz:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

One of the mechanics at work said I would probably have to replace the 15A fuse for the lights for a 20A fuse, each ballast that came with the kit draws max 10A at start, so that's 20A combined, they said it's best to let the fuse blow and than replace it, see how far I will get with the 15A, He also said fuses usually withhold more current than they're meant for, the 15A fuse could handle around 17A.

He also said it was stupid to have one fuse for the front lights, instead of two, so if the other lamp has a problem the other would stay in, the tail lights have two fuses. I agree with him.

I have mate who fitted some to his i30. But he used the headlight supply to power relays (2 each side - dip + high beam) for each unit then took the main power for the xenon system direct from the battery with in-line fuses for each unit.

That way it does not over power the existing headlight supply and also has its own fuse for each unit.

Not sure about Iceland, but here in the UK he had to tell his insurance company.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I have mate who fitted some to his i30. But he used the headlight supply to power relays (2 each side - dip + high beam) for each unit then took the main power for the xenon system direct from the battery with in-line fuses for each unit.

That way it does not over power the existing headlight supply and also has its own fuse for each unit.

Not sure about Iceland, but here in the UK he had to tell his insurance company.

That's clever, I don't know if I do it.

How do I over power the headlight supply?

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell my insurance company if I do any changes to the lights.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

I'm pretty sure I don't have to tell my insurance company if I do any changes to the lights.

Just spoken to him, he said the ballast on each light draws 20A to start with on the kits he purchased. Not sure what this means but he said that was the best way to do it for him.

He did the conversion about 3 weeks ago, since telling his insurance company they have now sent him a letter to tell him they cannot insure his car unless he removes the conversion kit. The reason given is that only OEM are legal in the UK. So he has put back the original bulbs for now.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Just spoken to him, he said the ballast on each light draws 20A to start with on the kits he purchased. Not sure what this means but he said that was the best way to do it for him.

He did the conversion about 3 weeks ago, since telling his insurance company they have now sent him a letter to tell him they cannot insure his car unless he removes the conversion kit. The reason given is that only OEM are legal in the UK. So he has put back the original bulbs for now.

Mine draw 10A max. so that's 20A combined.

It's not illegal to put after market kits here, so the insurance wont bother be, nor the police.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Here it is illegal, but I'm using it still anyway. I HOPE it stays like that for quite some time...... It looks great on i30 (to me) but the biggest difference is of course driving in night. I have between 4300K-5000K in and love it  :wink:

Nice mod and great pics btw  :mrgreen:

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
It is illegal in Sweden too.... Lights must have automatic leveling when using Xenon lamps...  :'( :'( :'(
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
can you post some pictures of where you fitted the electrical ballast on both sides

Offline andrejs

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
in croatia it's legal if the car hare light with lensens, and its white light, and it must have TUV certificate or something like that... i know there are two they recognize...

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

can you post some pictures of where you fitted the electrical ballast on both sides

This is where I put the right ballast, I strapped it to the wires there.

On the other side I strapped the ballast to a support beam like this one.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
in croatia it's legal if the car hare light with lensens, and its white light, and it must have TUV certificate or something like that... i know there are two they recognize...

At least they are illegal all over EU area. There are no legal aftermarket HID kits, simple as that.

To have legal HID, the headlight unit has to have approval (marked on it as ECE 98 and E-mark), have headlight cleaner system, and have automatic headlight levelling.

None of this is true with retrofitted HID-kits in a i30, so they are all illegal. And for a good reason too, a headlight unit not designed for HID bulb can blind others really badly.

The colder colour temperature of a HID may fool you to think that they are more "bright", but that is not guaranteed to be true either. Besides, the cool light penetrates mist much worse than warmer colour, just there where you would really need it.

What really is funny, why the optional HID's are so expensive on the cars where you can order them as options. With Hyundai, they simply don't even give the option. They probably want to avoid the headlight washer system (which is stupid IMHO, as it is much more useful than HID's ever could be.)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Have you driven a car with xenon?

In my opinion its much better. The light is brighter and closer to daylight. Why make it if it's not better?

And I'm not sure the i30 blinds others with the xenon, since the i30 headlight has the ,,,ummm,,, I don't know what it's called but it looks like some kind of lens, you know the thing in front of the bulb. The same thing all cars with real xenon have. But maybe I'm wrong about this.

The only thing I dont like about my xenon is moisture, every time I wash my car I get moisture in the headlight unit, and because the xenon don't produce any heat the moisture doesnt go away. I solved that with putting a silica gel bag in each light.

Another thing I don't like is that when driving in a snow blizzard the lights get covered by snow, because they don't get hot they don't melt the snow. But blizzards like that are rare so not a big problem :)

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
I have to agree with Hemmi, the xenons are AMAZING at night, lighting the road like no other and makes visibility of random objects on the highways like blown tire threads etc easier to see from a while back (especially since I do alot of highway driving). I just lowered my headlights lower than they should be, so its brighter but doesn't project up into oncoming traffic's eyes.

And I think you are referring to the projectors Hemmi? Yes, the projector does reduce the HID from spreading but for HID's you need a different projector as it has a different cut off, thats why thumper put in the scatter shields in his headlight assembly, but the scatter from the stock projector isn't that bad if you have it a bit lower than normal.

I also tend to get a bit of moisture in one of the assemblies (only after someone had damaged my headlight =( ) but normally the other one is fine without any moisture. Sure they sealed your headlight properly Hemmi?

Offline ch0pst1x

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• CRDi SLX
That looks sick. i want to do it to my car now! Shame I'm a tight ass.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I also tend to get a bit of moisture in one of the assemblies (only after someone had damaged my headlight =( ) but normally the other one is fine without any moisture. Sure they sealed your headlight properly Hemmi?

I havent had any accident with my lights, so I assume they are alright, I put the kit in myself and sealed as good as I could. The lights have a breathing tube, I don't think I should cover that.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal