i30 Owners Club

Mirrors with indicators

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have been absent from the forum for a while so not sure if I've missed something on this topic, but I have bought a set of after-market exterior mirrors with the LED indicators off Ebay and want to know if they can actually be fitted to an i30 hatch.
Is the wiring loom already in the hatch or what needs to be done?
If anyone has done this (especially in Perth) I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I'm not handy myself so would want to take it somewhere to get done if anyone has ideas.
Thanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The LED "arrows" that stick behind the mirror itself?

Yeah that's been done on here somewhere, with pics.

EDIT: I just re-read your original request from last year. It's not the behind-the-mirror LEDS you're after  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I dont have a link to hand but someome post a thread with some pics on oing this maybe 3 months or so ago.

The wiring connected to the side indicators wiring ultimately IIRC.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
Think I might do a little guide here.

The install is possible on the i30 hatch as I had done this to my 07 hatch  :)

There is no wiring loom, but if you have a couple of hours on your hands and a couple of tools, anyone can do this!

Shout out first to eyecon as he helped me with getting the mirror off [scariest part most probably!]

Ok, first thing is to remove the mirror. There are 4 little 'latches' on the back of the mirror. If you grab a flat screwdriver and pry the top two up and apply a little force, the mirror will pop off.

I recommend removing the wirings for the heated mirror but I am unsure if they are polarised so make sure that you make a mark to remember which wire goes where. I just used some tape and whiteout.

Afterwards remove the screws that are holding the black surround to the backing cover and then the screws holding the backing cover to the inner metal plate.

Fold the light inwards towards the body and through pulling upwards and out, the white outer housing will slip off. It doesn't require much if any force, so if it does, I think you are doing something wrong  :razz: Afterwards swap the mirror housing to the new mirror housing!

Afterwards, the method that you run the wiring to the side indicator is your choice but I will show you the way that I did it.

Remove the black cover on the inside of the car holding the tweeter assembly through just pulling towards you. Remove the connecting cable, and then the 3 nuts holding the side mirror to the door frame. Once you remove the wing mirror from the body, remove the rubber black cover on the end of the side mirror.

After this, drop the new wing mirror indicator's cable through the hole that has the current wiring to the side mirror.

At the bottom of the side mirror is a small plate, remove that plate using a small flat screwdriver and pull the cable through and feed it through the rest of the housing.

Afterwards, you need to cut a small V shaped cut on the rubber plating to run the cable through.

Reattach the side mirror to the body and ensure that you don't overtighten with a ratchet for those nuts (speaking from personal experience as I managed to shear one...)

Afterwards, remove the door card [there are multiple threads here covering how to do that] and the first hole directly below the tweeter assembly is covered in a clear plastic. Poke a hole through this and drop the cable through.

Afterwards bring the cable through the side of the door by removing the gromet and run the cable to the side indicator.

Tap the power from there and test your lights! [on mine, the positive and negative wires were switched aka red was negative and black positive for some reason but worked eventually]

Best of luck! Its really not that hard if you have time on your hands. And its best to set yourself a good couple of hours!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent guide. Thanks link_1111, that will sure come in handy :D

PS you forgot to include a pic of the finished article in all its glory :rolleyes:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
That guide is excellent and much appreciated.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
karhung has done this mod.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
karhung has done this mod.  :razz:

Mmmm.... I thought karhung slipped some LED "arrows" behind the mirror :eek:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
your right,sorry guys.  :eek: :-[

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Thanks for the recognition WaJa. I should actually put picks of my conversion on. Been lazy, sorry guys. WaJa, I notice you don't have the LED down light on the bottom of the housing. Is that right? Mine came with the extra LED's on the bottom.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
ive seen them in 1,2 or 3 way.

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
with my tax refund im hopeing to get the 1 way type.  :cool:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
yeah, mine currently doesn't have the LED cluster at the bottom of the indicator. Purchased the lights from koreanautoimports, took them THREE MONTHS to send it to me with minimal contact (never buying from them again), and when I received the lights they didn't have the cluster so I contacted them and they said that the lights were a new batch and the cluster is coming in the post. So now, I have to cut a hole and mount it myself. But I really can't be bothered right now...and I don't know where to tap the door switch power from (unless I play around with a multimeter) so I might cut the hole and wire it later...Mind me asking where you tapped it from eyecon?

And ironically, the final product is the one picture I haven't taken...and my camera is with my girlfriend...but I will put one up eventually!

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
hey WaJa,
I had the LED clusters draw power from the internal cabin light in the ceiling. I know what you're thinking now, but relax. You only need to take the inside plastic A-pillar cover (the plastic trim running up the height of the windscreen) off the passenger side only. The A-pillar cover is a clip on type. Running along the A-Pillar are a few wires but you'll only need one of them. I can let you know the colour when you are ready. The end result is that when I unlock the car the LEDs stay lit (along with the internal room light) for the designated 30sec before fading out, and it does a good job of fading out too. It will fade out sooner if you get in the car and put the keys in the ignition. Basically, the LEDs mimic what the interior room light does. I even had the interior room light bulb changed to an LED equivalent (so that the lights are all the same colour), and it does a good job of fading out too. 

My LED clusters are only held in with clear silicon installed by the supplier. So no engineering marvels here, but I haven't had any problems yet.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal