i30 Owners Club

I30 2010 dreaded door lock actuator

Gaza1016 · 18 · 11703

Offline Gaza1016

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Hi all, we have a 2010 i30 with the dreaded grinding noise from the front passenger door lock, only when we lock it.
I believe it's a door lock actuator I need but hyundai want over £500 to fix it when they can get the part, apparently they are on back order with no idea of when they will get one in.
Can't find one anywhere, does anyone know somewhere who may have one in?
I have seen an actuator repair kit which basically looks like a single toothed wheel, but can't find any guides on if this will work or how to repair it? Many thanks for any help
  • I30 1.6 edition

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all, we have a 2010 i30 with the dreaded grinding noise from the front passenger door lock, only when we lock it.
I believe it's a door lock actuator I need but hyundai want over £500 to fix it when they can get the part, apparently they are on back order with no idea of when they will get one in.
Can't find one anywhere, does anyone know somewhere who may have one in?
I have seen an actuator repair kit which basically looks like a single toothed wheel, but can't find any guides on if this will work or how to repair it? Many thanks for any help
Can't help with the repair, first I've heard of a repair kit. Can you share the link so we can all have a look please.

Nothing available used online or from wrecks?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :wss:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Gaza1016

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Can't find one anywhere online, have an enquiry in with a breaker, the repair kit I saw referred to is
:link: Door Lock Actuator 813101J060. 81310A6130 Repair Gear for Hyundai I20 I30 793198101818 | eBay
  • I30 1.6 edition

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:link: 2010-2012 MK1 Hyundai i30 FRONT DOOR LOCK LH Passenger Side 813102L030 | eBay

Should work but there's a couple of versions. One with the deadlock feature and this one

81310-2L070 is the deadlock version. All ours over here had that

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm going to say that the likelihood of getting that lock apart and fixing it is slim. Just mangled mine to have a look, there's plastic tabs that are melted that need trimg off, tabs un clipping and the plastics are hard and brittle. then there's springs and gears likely pop out of position on opening and then you have to hope that gear is the issue.

I'll stick to the window clips, the lock for me is  looking difficult, I'd want several donors to practice on first.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I'll stick to the window clips, the lock for me is  looking difficult, I'd want several donors to practice on first.

You're not practicing on me, I'm too old and brittle!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

You're not practicing on me, I'm too old and brittle!  :snigger:
But Dazz, you're always up for a good massage! :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The lower motor is the deadlock feature. Not all models had this but I believe all Australian cars did have the deadlock. basically if you locked the car with the remote, even if the window was down you can't simply use the snib inside to unlock. You will need the remote. It's the second noise you hear when locking that is deadlock. If the plastic gear strips, then there will be screeching grinding noise, door will be locked but not deadlocked. I've had a rear door with a that issue.

also safe to assume things are no longer in position where they were pulling this apart. nothing obvious  broken . hope this was the faulty one I had :wacko:

Offline Gaza1016

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Hi Guys thanks for the advice so far!

I used one of the part finders and ordered the actuator, instead of just the actuator I received the whole inner door lock assembly, Am i being too optimistic thinking that this will probably make the job easier for the garage, disconnect the whole current one and fit this new one, I'm fairly sure the faulty cog is hidden within so hoping this will make the job easier?

Thanks for your thoughts

• I30 1.6 edition

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
There is only one person in this wide universe who pulls the lock to bits, the above Gerard. :mrgreen:

Its easy to swap the whole mech. You can do it yourself in about 20 minutes if you are totally incompetent..  Photos and instructions are here if you look in Search.
Cheers
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
In case you have not spotted it, disconnect and remove the cut wiring harness that they have left attached before you fit it in the car.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
There is only one person in this wide universe who pulls the lock to bits, the above Gerard. :mrgreen:

Its easy to swap the whole mech. You can do it yourself in about 20 minutes if you are totally incompetent..  Photos and instructions are here if you look in Search.
Cheers

Hey thats not fair. I just don't take pictures.

• 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Cheers

What pictures :faint:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Cheers

What pictures :faint:

Exactly  :winker:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Thanks for the info folks. Much appreciated. I might try ordering and fitting myself the whole inner door-lock assembly for my rear passenger door that is starting to fail. Can anyone recommend a source in Australia for the part?
Tia!
  • 1 x 2008 i30 CRDI hatch, 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline Gaza1016

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Just a quick update, wasn't going to pay £400 for part then fitting on top fron the
Main Stealer, went to a breakers yard online, got whole lock mechanism for one of same year. Paid a guy £70 to fit, took him half hour and all sorted.
Thanks for advice
  • I30 1.6 edition

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just a quick update, wasn't going to pay £400 for part then fitting on top fron the
Main Stealer, went to a breakers yard online, got whole lock mechanism for one of same year. Paid a guy £70 to fit, took him half hour and all sorted.
Thanks for advice

:brilliant: Thanks for the update..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal