i30 Owners Club

Power window cable breaks twice

Blacki · 4 · 2646

Offline Blacki

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Rijeka
I have the i30 1.6 CRDi Diesel, year 2008 and on both front doors the cable for opening the windows broke down. The whole lifting assembly had to be replaced at considerable cost. I have seen the cable and it looks so thin, no wonder it brakes. The first one (on the driver's door) was replaced under warranty, and the second one (passenger door) a year after (iPaid) although the window has not been operated much.

Now the cracking sound (the same as before) is heard when opening/closing the windows. It's the sound of ice cracking when melting.

Any idea what to do next when it happens again? Any alternatives?

Tks.
  • 2008 i30 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 CRDI, Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Keep your window channels well lubricated with the appropriate lubricant, graphite powder, I think. Check there are no obstructions or areas of binding. The glass should ride up & down at a constant rate.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
according to two owners' experience here, their power window failed due to the broken part (marked in red), seat of the glass. Before power window failed, they heard some racking sound when operating.  :D

And, there's another owner had similar issue because of the broken cable.

Offline Blacki

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Rijeka
according to two owners' experience here, their power window failed due to the broken part (marked in red), seat of the glass. Before power window failed, they heard some racking sound when operating.  :D

And, there's another owner had similar issue because of the broken cable.

Thanks for your input. Much obliged.

Do you know if this has been addressed by the manufacturer?

As it seems we can go round and round in replacing the power window assemblies all the time which does not seem fair. Looks like a good enough reason for me not to buy Hyndai ever again. I am afraid to open the windows now.

• 2008 i30 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 CRDI, Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal