i30 Owners Club

Knock in steering column of 5yr old i30

mvw · 4 · 1786

Offline mvw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi, I know this issue has been posted a number of times.. I suspect my recently bought 2013 i30 (50K km) has the issue with the worn star shaped bush in the steering unit. It has a knocking noise in the steering column felt/heard only when stationary. Didn't notice it when buying the car but is has gradually become more noticeable over the last couple of months. Just wondering whether anyone can recommend a decent mechanic in Brisbane who can replace the bush at a reasonable price.   Thanks in advance..
  • i30 2013, 3Dr

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Being a GD it is less likely to be the bush you speak of. Not unheard though.
Also if it only happens at a complete stop its not the usual characteristic either.
You may want to get it checked before throwing parts at it. May just be a steering shaft spline needing grease.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi, I know this issue has been posted a number of times.. I suspect my recently bought 2013 i30 (50K km) has the issue with the worn star shaped bush in the steering unit. It has a knocking noise in the steering column felt/heard only when stationary. Didn't notice it when buying the car but is has gradually become more noticeable over the last couple of months. Just wondering whether anyone can recommend a decent mechanic in Brisbane who can replace the bush at a reasonable price.   Thanks in advance..
Fulcrum Suspensions are familiar with this issue.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mvw

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the responses.. Yeah, I'll have a closer look a the steering shaft / coupling etc. A simple fix would be so nice.
Cheers
  • i30 2013, 3Dr

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal