i30 Owners Club

Front & Rear Fog Lights Stopped Working. Removed Towbar Electrics etc

Offline i30estate2016

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
 :crazy2: Hi I noticed a week or so ago my fog lamps front and rear have stopped working. I used a small trailer with 7 pin adapter to my 13 pin plug and all ok but since using plug I think this caused a short etc,as when I checked wiring it was corroded,so wired a new 13 pin plug in and checked all fuses,relays even with a Power Probe and removed every fuse,relay tested them and the only point I get zero with probe is the very 1st top left 7.5 amp fuse in fuse box nr driver. Fuse is ok but no power on fusebox pin whether ignition on,car running etc.
Tow bar electrics have been totally disconnected,as dedicated kit which had fog cut off module,so wondering if when it cut car rear fog off( as it should when trailer attached)somehow car has switched them all off or maybe the bad 13 pin plug has caused this when plugged into and some fuse or relay I'm missing needs changing? All bulbs good too. Where is the ICM fuse,as there are relays inside this which may need manually resetting maybe? The only other thing I was going to remove was the indicator stalk,as this operates the front and rear fogs via twist button(UK) power is getting to both stalks as I checked with probe,so is it probable the stalk is knackered but allows side,low+main beams plus indicators still to operate ok? Right hand stalk just clicks out(wipers) but lights stalk needs steering wheel removal as far as I can see,so need to be sure. Fuse box in engine had intermittent contact with probe(relay removed) then was ok after a wiggle about. A few pics attached showing fuses checked and relay socket I had a wiggle to sort was the middle one in blurred pic.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 00:14:32 by i30estate2016 »
  • i30 Estate 1.6 CRDi 2016

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The 7.5 fuse is smart key/burglar alarm/ auto trans. So probably not in use.

As mentioned in the other dull low beam thread, the light functions are controlled by a module and not fuses.

A battery disconnect for and hour may help.

But if you have a short on any one of the lamp holders , the current control will cut in = no volts.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline i30estate2016

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Do you think the ICM fuse / relay (anyone know where it is located)  could be to blame as seen a pic somewhere and there is relays enclosed in casing or more likely the indicator stalk if all wiring checks ok etc? The fact I had  2 front fogs and 2 rear fogs working a week ago and both front and rear operated from same twist connector on stalk makes me think it could be that. Hardly been used though,so I will check bulb holders etc thoroughly. I suspect when I used the 7 pin adapter in my 13 pin tow socket although everything worked maybe when disconnected it shorted due to corroded rear of plug. There was no fog cut out on 13 pin plug that was controlled via module on towing harness,as I'm aware some 13 pin plugs have built in crude "button" that presses a metal link that cuts car fog off but allows trailer to use rear fog as does the module.
A wiring diagram for my 2016 UK model would help if anyone has one. 👍

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
You can get a GD manual on Ebay ( CD)

If there is a short or high current being drawn anywhere in that circuit it will shut down. It is faster acting than a fuse and also self restoring.

"A controlled or dependent current source on the other hand changes its available current depending upon the voltage across, or the current through, some other element connected to the circuit. ... A current source that depends on a voltage input is generally referred to as a Voltage Controlled Current Source or VCCS."

Sorry, I cant perform magic from here. You will have to test and eliminate.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline i30estate2016

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
Iirc the way my stalk puts fogs on is once driving lights are on front fogs must be switched on 1st then a twist upward (which springs back to front fog setting) enables rear(s).From fogs were never a part of the towbar wiring,so leads me more to think multifunction stalk more than likely developed fault on fog side,as all other functions work,so maybe the twist mechanism is not good.
Have continuity between both rear fogs wiring and bulbs ok etc. Will have to either take stalk off (worst side as need to remove steering wheel etc opposite side wipers just pops off!) to see if fixable as maybe just a bad ,dirty connection under switch or just buy a 2nd hand one and hope. Few more wires to check yet,so will keep at it when time allows.

Offline i30estate2016

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well if you have time up your sleeve get the workshop manual on disc. Should only take a few days. Thats how I found what your fuse is for.

On the FD both stalks unclip if the plastic cowl is removed. I thought it was the same on the GD. Not sure , only had to do it on one car , so far.

Sounds practical to check continuity there, it is probably only 5v , eg signal to module. Im guessing.

Regards rear fogs, generally we don't have them down here.

Offline i30estate2016

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Scotland
All Sorted. Ended Up Being The Multifunction Switch Hence Why I Ordered A Spare One To Try. The Only Part That Stopped Working Was The Twist Part That Enables Fogs All Other Functions Worked On Stalk,So Be Aware Even If Not Hardly Used These Are Prone To Fail.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal