i30 Owners Club

2008 i30 SR weird aux issues

camm · 2 · 3069

Offline camm

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All

I started having these issues a long time ago (pretty much just as the car came out of warranty), but I never really got to the bottom of it and it’s always driven me MAD!

I have issues with the auxiliary port on my i30 (the 3.5mm input). It happens also on the official iPod cable which injects the sound using the 3.5mm aux. The issue is that about 50% of the time the audio cuts out, it thinks the Aux is disconnected, or I start getting really inaudible sound through it (very very light sound but completely muffled). Does anyone know what this could be? It is usually fixed by me completely turning the car off and on again.

I have already ripped out the aux ports and checked the soldering on the ports, and even resoldered the 3.5mm port as I believe they’re prone to cracking (based on previous posts). Any ideas how I can get solid audio for a full drive?!
  • i30 SX

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
My first thought would have been grounding issue. Usually the first thing that causes interference. Places like Jaycar sell 3.5mm ground loop noise isolators for like $10. Cheaper on eBay of course but you will just have to wait longer. 

Could also be the internals of the jack is worn or has dirt or something in it. Try rotating the plug and flexing it a bit while it's plugged in and see if it makes any more noises or drops out.

You said you swapped the cable and the same thing happened. What about with another device plugged in playing audio? Does it do it with other devices too?
  • 2018 I30 Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal