i30 Owners Club

Clutch & Gearbox

Offline simowizard

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cameron Park

• I love my SLX i30
Hi everyone. Just a quick question to try to get the knowledge before the service centre can tell me. I had my 2011 SLX i30 crdi serviced recently. It is the FD11MY model with the 6 speed manual transmission. When I dropped it off in the morning I mentioned that the friction point on the clutch seemed to be getting a bit high off the floor for my liking. Before anyone says "clutch riding", I am a truck driver for a living and change gears all day everyday in 12, 13 and up to 18 speed crash box (constant mesh or double clutch) gearboxes. That's not to say I double clutch my i30 which I don't as it can cause damage to the synchronising bands. I am also aware that being a hydrolic clutch, they cannot be adjusted, or so I was told by the service mechanic.
When I picked my car up from service, I was told that they would need to book my car back in as soon as possible as a "shudder" was detected or felt in the gearbox during a test drive. I was completely unaware of this. I was also told that they would need my car for a couple of days as the gearbox would have to come out.
Has anyone else had any similar issues that may be able to shed some light on what could be wrong? I'm not overly concerned as it will be with a Hyundai dealership service centre and the work is covered under my warranty. The good side is that they also stated that I get a loan car for free while my car is in repair. Here's hoping all will be ok. If no one has any info, I will post what the result was just in case someone else may strike the same issue.
Cheers and thanks in advance  :sweating: :sweating: :sweating:
  • 2011 (FD11MY) 2011 SLX CRDi six speed manual hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't help with your query, but at least the dealer is giving you good service, which is a lot better than some members are receiving.

Good luck with it & please keep us informed. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Shane, the manual gearbox in the i30 is usually pretty solid... Hopefully they will get it sorted and it will be like new in no time!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
It's interesting you mention and 2011 SLX manual.

When I went to buy my 2011 diesel, I wanted a manual, but the SLX didn't come in manual, only auto, so I had to settle for the SX model, and then has to add cruse control and other items in to it.

Interesting about a shudder in the gearbox. I had a shuddering the clutch area last year where a faulty seal was leaking oil onto the clutch causing slippage under load.  All repaired under warranty.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Thanks for the post, simowizard.  It's an interesting problem that your car has, but it appears that the dealer is doing the right thing by you (addressing the problem that they found and giving you a loan car).

I have a 2011 SLX manual CRDi as well, but mine is the five speed box (I think they classified it as a MY10.5).  I believe that the i30cw SLX CRDi only came in an auto, otherwise one of those would have been on my list.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
How many km's have you done? Did they say if the shudder was clutch related or internally in the gearbox?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Never heard it this before and, if I may say, it sounds as if the mechanic/technician sorta knows what he is looking for, just my paranoia kicking in there.

I've had mine, which is manual, for coming on for 5 years trouble free motoring and I wish the same for your good self  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline simowizard

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cameron Park

• I love my SLX i30
Hi everyone :-)
I have my car back and I am so happy with the repairs. Customer service at Lake Motor Group - Hyundai (part of Klosters Newcastle) is second to none. I am really happy with how they looked after me firstly by diagnosing the problem and then offering to take it in for repair straight away. Some places I know of would have just done a service and let you take the car in the hopes for a break down and more costly repair. I believe where I go is all about "true customer service".
Anyway, I said I would report back as to what my issue was in case someone experiences something similar. First of all, for those that don't know, I have a 2011 (FD11MY) 2011 model SLX CRDi six speed manual hatch with only 45,000Kms and I am the only owner since brand new.
I stated that I took it for a service and felt that the clutch "friction point" was too high (lifting my foot high off the floor before the engine bit on the gearbox to start the car moving) for my liking. That's when they diagnosed the problem.
It turned out that the springs in the pressure plate had worn and become slack, causing a shudder (which I myself did not detect). So, they took out the gear box and replaced the pressure plate and the "reverse light" sensor switch. When I picked my car up, I was so surprised that I almost stalled it in the driveway of the dealership. LOL :-)
I love my  :i30: and I am extremely happy with the service I get from my repairer.
Also,  :ta: to everyone on this forum that had an insight in trying to help me diagnose my issue. The conclusion is, if you have a manual that seems to have a high friction point, it could be but may not be the same issue as mine. I suggest raising the issue with your Hyundai technician cause they are the best people trained to look after yours and my  :i30:
  • 2011 (FD11MY) 2011 SLX CRDi six speed manual hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :happydance:

Glad you've been looked after well and the car is ok now.

Pat on the back for Lake Motor Group - Hyundai (part of Klosters Newcastle)   :clapping:

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sounds like good result. Glad you've had such a good experience. The Klosters group is very good.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Funny, I have the 2011 FD SLX 6 speed manual too. I think it was MY12 model which first introduced the 6 speed manual not MY11, but note my car was built in around May 2011 but to the MY12 specifications with the U2 diesel engine and 6 speed gearbox.

I've been wondering about my clutch, it feels different lately but I can't quite get put my finger on it. I wouldn't call it a shudder, but it feels like when I let the clutch out I sometimes get a lurch that feels like bad turbo lag.

Perhaps the friction point is a bit higher but I have noticed that in all my manuals as they slowly age. It's just that funny feeling where you notice you have to concentrate a bit more to be smooth when you didn't have to do that 6 or 12 months ago. I too have done around 50,000km.

I'm going to watch it carefully.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Good result and first class service...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal