i30 Owners Club

Brake lights not working - testing brake light switch

Litz97 · 9 · 4507

Offline Litz97

• 1st Gear
Hi Guys,

I own a I30 Diesel CW 2009.
Have had this problem for a couple of days now. ESP came on about the same time, but I don't know if it's related?

Googled around and seems most problems is on grounds of break light switch. After testing fuse ok, I took it out and tested according to this video: :link: HOW TO TEST YOUR HYUNDAI BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH - YouTube - It seems to me that pin 1 and 2 and again 3 and 4 is giving a readout when switch is pushed in the video?  When testing mine,  1 and 2 reacts when pushed, but 3 and 4 gives readout as soon as I connect my multimeter and turns OFF when switch is activated? So not only is it different from the video, pin 1+2 and 3+4 works completely opposite  each other? Should I consider this defective?
  • I30 CW

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Guys,

Have had this problem for a couple of days now. ESP came on about the same time, but I don't know if it's related?

Googled around and seems most problems is on grounds of break light switch. After testing fuse ok, I took it out and tested according to this video: :link: HOW TO TEST YOUR HYUNDAI BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH - YouTube - It seems to me that pin 1 and 2 and again 3 and 4 is giving a readout when switch is pushed in the video?  When testing mine,  1 and 2 reacts when pushed, but 3 and 4 gives readout as soon as I connect my multimeter and turns OFF when switch is activated? So not only is it different from the video, pin 1+2 and 3+4 works completely opposite  each other? Should I consider this defective?
I don't know where you are but has it even been replaced by Hyundai free of charge? Over here in Australia they have a campaign to replace these free with an updated switch regardless of age of the vehicle.

So maybe if you are here and it has not then visit a dealer . based on what you say I'd just replace it. ESP and no brake lights working safe bet it's the switch and like I said faulty or not there was a service campaign to swap these devils out. I will have to look at the manual now for techo info.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Litz.

Even if it was replaced under warranty it is possible they replaced it with the wrong version (this happened with a few as I think it was different if you had cruise control - or some other variation). So go and ask a dealer to check hyundai's records on your VIN number. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Litz97

• 1st Gear
I am from Denmark  :) I will talk to the dealer about a possible warenty situation :) Thank you for your input, guys :)
  • I30 CW

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Even if it was replaced, I had another one go on the Wife's FD before I finally got a good one in there.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Guys,

So not only is it different from the video, pin 1+2 and 3+4 works completely opposite  each other? Should I consider this defective?

ESP and all brake light failure = SWITCH.  no need to comment just       REPLACE OR GET IT REPLACED
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Litz97

• 1st Gear
My car was on the list for the break switch check. But waiting time at the dealer was a week and I needed the car for our family vacation, so I changed it myself. Worked like a charm. :) Thanks for the advice, guys
  • I30 CW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My car was on the list for the break switch check. But waiting time at the dealer was a week and I needed the car for our family vacation, so I changed it myself. Worked like a charm. :) Thanks for the advice, guys

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal