i30 Owners Club

How-to: Install an amplifier/subwoofer to 2009 i30 (FD)

Abis · 5 · 6151

Offline Abis

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi
Hi everyone,

I know this subject has been discussed in many other threads already, but still I wanted to create this how-to and describe the process in detail. :)

I installed an amp and a subwoofer to my i30 back in July 2011, but I have been too lazy to write about it sooner.  :-[

Before that I had replaced the stock radio with a 1 DIN radio. I wrote about it in here:
i30 Radio removal ?

I got amp installation instructions from raraku and Scuzzy (cheers guys!) from this thread:
Custom stereo installation (Speakers/Sub/Amps)

Offline Abis

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi
1. Here we go! I removed the front left inner fender to find the rubber grommet. The grommet covers a hole that can be used to pull a cable into the front left legroom.

2. I installed the amplifier power cable to the plus terminal of the battery.

3. The fuse holder should be installed next to the battery, instead of next to the amplifier.

4. Here's a picture of the battery and the power cable.

5. Power cable installed inside the left-hand fender.

Offline Abis

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi
6. There's the power cable at the top of the inside of the fender. The cable runs inside a plastic tube that was included in the amplifier installation kit I bought.

7. Cable coming down towards the ground. In the picture you can see the front left side door wire harness.

8. I pulled the power cable through the grommet inside the plastic tube. I sealed the hole in the grommet with sanitary silicone, since I happened to have it at hand ;).

9. The cable pulled from the inner fender in the driver's footwell (LHD). Red arrow indicates the power cable :).

10. I removed the sill and pulled the power cable along the cable trough towards the boot/trunk. The threshold of the front door in the picture.

Offline Abis

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi
11. Power cable dives under the rear seat.

12. The power cable rises from under the back seat to the boot/trunk. I grounded the minus cable to my i30's chassis with a self-drilling screw.

13. I pulled the amplifier remote signal, as well as the left and right audio signal, from the right side of the car towards the boot/trunk. The photo is from the front passenger's footwell. The power outlet in the photo is for the interior pre-heater :).

14. Pictured the right rear door sill and the cable trough next to it.

15. The amplifier remote signal and the left and right audio signals go under the back seat.

Offline Abis

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
      Finland

• 2009 i30 CW 1.6 CRDi
16. All cables in the boot/trunk and boot/trunk floor in place.

17. The subwoofer and the amplifier sitting in the boot/trunk. I bought the subwoofer used, so it is not all shiny and new anymore ;).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal