i30 Owners Club

GD Warranty Work

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
As most of you will know, the only issues I had with my FD diesel were a blown brake light globe at 130,000 + kms and the "chrome" peeling off the plastic interior door handle (replaced under warranty).

Well, already I have a couple of items that Hyundai need to look at in my new GD and it is booked in on Monday for them to assess.

I have already posted elsewhere on the forum about a driveline slackness that is felt more than heard when, for example, I am doing say 60 km/h in 4th gear and I back off and then accelerate, back off and accelerate.

It is more annoying than anything but I'd like to know why it is there when it wasn't on my last car.

Also, in the 7,000 + kms I have travelled, most of the time the manual gearbox has been very nice to use, but a few times, it has been reluctant to slot into 3rd or 4th gear when changing up. When it happens, it just won't go in and I have to go back to neutral, match the revs and try again. It always goes in on the second go. Not a huge issue as 99% of the time it is fine, but again, it shouldn't be happening at all.

Other items they need to look at are the dreaded glovebox rattle that I never had on the FD but have on this one. When at cruising speeds it develops a plastic buzzing the goes away if I either hold or open the glovebox lid. I tend to drive with it open.

The trim on the left hand side of the centre console is also trying to part company with the console. I push it back in but it then drifts apart again.

So all in all, quality control is slightly down on what I experienced on my FD.

As I said, no huge issues, just annoying ones.

But having said that, I really do love the car and as I have said a few times already I find the GD to be a great step forward over the FD in most areas. It really is a nice car to drive and much more quiet and refined than my previous car so I'm not unhappy at all that I changed over. I love the car and expect to keep it long term and many, many kms.

I'd be interested to hear if any other GD owners have had any of these problems.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That glovebox rattle keeps popping up around the forums of the world :(

Can you see this thread?

http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5471

- and then that same guy's 'fix' here -

http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41346#p41346

It's probably a different cause to yours, but annoying all the same, along with your other gripes :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unfortunately I just get this:

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

But thanks anyway.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
The links worked for me, but it told be I needed to join the forum.

There was something about using Compatibility mode for IE.  I'm using Safari on an iPad.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from part of the 2nd link above

The glovebox is a joke to be honest.  After losing patience I took it apart myself yesterday and it took me all of 2 minutes to see what the problem was.  The lid, hinges and pins are all fine; the problem is the moulded lug on the dashboard that the hinge joins to is broken and therefore the hinge has nothing to tighten to.  It's as obvious as the nose on your face if you take 2 minutes to look.

I have actually managed to rectify it to a large degree, if not totally, simpy by packing the hinge with something as simple as Blu Tack (I know but simple things work best at times.  That's eroded 90% of the resonance but needs a bit more.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Dave, Hopefully some adhesive rubber pads to make it a tighter fit (like my previous fix for the FD) will do the trick with the rattle  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I was wondering where to bring this one up,Though we do not have the later GD,it is gearbox related,last service it was found that Bruce had a small weep of oil from the reverse selection switch,so part came in we where contacted to bring the car in last Monday to have it replaced.

Job done Sue picked Bruce up,on the way home she reported to me he would get stuck in 1st 3rd or 5th,so when I came home took him for  small drive,nothing narda,,so thought nothing more of it.
Tuesday went to work again,Sue used Bruce again to go up the road,said that night again he was getting stuck in gear,again I took him for a drive,nothing again,gear change was a little more notchy,so when I came in a said it hadn't happened to me Sue said take Bruce to work tomorrow and see how it goes.

Off to work I go,all was fine until I got to the lakes,changed down throught the gers tothird to round the corner,accerlerated went to change gear,stuck in third,eventually got it to change,the rest of the way to work,every time I had to either stop or change gear it would stick in 1st 3rd or 5th,so call to Hyundai,organised to drop the car off so they could work on it today,all the way to northam once the car got to running temp,again getting stuck in gear,anyhow today,they said they drove it around for over twenty minutes couldn't find the problem,but they did say they checked the fitment of the reverse switch and changed the gear oil,Sue said there was not a problem coming home,I did take him for an extremely short drive,gearchange seemed a lot smoother and very much less notchy.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen in their manuals,whether they be FD or GD,just wondering to whether Hy dealership is taking the piss and found a problem but not reporting it to me,funny how this problem never existed before the switch replacement and now it seems does not exist any longer once they have spent a couple of hours on it.Yeah call me paranoid.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yeah call me paranoid.

OK
Hi paranoid

ps
No such issue with mine
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I expect the reverse switch to be fitted in the gearbox, thus I really can't see how the replacement of this should cause any trouble regarding the gearshift mechanism.

If the switch is placed around the gear lever, which I've never seen before, than they propably could have fiddled with the gear lever adjustment.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I know where you are coming from Rick! They hate admitting if they make a mistake the first time :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I expect the reverse switch to be fitted in the gearbox, thus I really can't see how the replacement of this should cause any trouble regarding the gearshift mechanism.

If the switch is placed around the gear lever, which I've never seen before, than they propably could have fiddled with the gear lever adjustment.

Reverse selector switch is very close to the linkages,but not that close,only in the vacinity,everything is very visible,I certainly could not find a reason for it doing this,I will let you know after tomorrow,doing a run to Perth for a show,so I'm hoping iot doesn't do it again as I will have five Saints in tow
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I haven't heard of that happening Rick but it sure would be annoying.
But please report back after your run to the big smoke. Thanks.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal