i30 Owners Club

2008 CRDi belt failure due to tensioner missing pin

hb09 · 42 · 9572

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Go for the lowest gear , 1st  of reverse.
Could always slip a piece of pipe over handle to increase leverage to reach torque required. Would allow a better swing.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Could always slip a piece of pipe over handle to increase leverage to reach torque required. Would allow a better swing.
not in this case, go tallest but a lower gear would be stronger . it may pay to have someone stomp on the brakes as well.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline hb09

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Any idea if top gear would put more strain on the powertrain than it's designed to take?

I think I'll try this trick with an old belt and 2 pairs of vice grips anyway, just for fun.
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6L, Manual, White

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
not in this case, go tallest but a lower gear would be stronger . it may pay to have someone stomp on the brakes as well.

:Shocked: Mick is correct. 1st Gear and 'snipe' the bar with a length of pipe.  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

For the benefit of future incredulous readers , especially those who have an auto transmission; removing the starter motor exposes the ring gear which is an ideal place to lock the engine.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:Shocked: Mick is correct. 1st Gear and 'snipe' the bar with a length of pipe.  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

For the benefit of future incredulous readers , especially those who have an auto transmission; removing the starter motor exposes the ring gear which is an ideal place to lock the engine.
How so? Surely being in top gear will provide the greatest resistance and least torque transfer where by low gear will only multiply the torque generated at the crank and output at the wheels making it even harder to hold the vehicle

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
....... removing the starter motor exposes the ring gear which is an ideal place to lock the engine.
what do you use to then lock it? 

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :eek:  :undecided:
Try any gear   :lol: :lol:
DEFINITELY use pipe   :goodjob:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:eek:  :undecided:
Try any gear   :lol: :lol:
DEFINITELY use pipe   :goodjob:
actually Mick, I think I tried this once on my old galant and I think mother had to get on the brakes for me because even in the tallest gear since I was actually generating whatever torque it was the wheels would creep and there was a bit of spring loaded up in all the drivetrain. On an Astra I managed to jam the ring gear because the access hole was deisgned for that purpose.

and on my last drama, I just went stuff it, rattle gun and loctite :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
....... removing the starter motor exposes the ring gear which is an ideal place to lock the engine.
what do you use to then lock it?

Old mechanics have an "abortion box" full of useful tools that they have made for various jobs. I use an old starter motor cog welded to a bracket. Took mins to make. Hours of fun later.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
on the matter of which gear???? on a front wheel drive car, the hand brake only works the rear, so the size of the four wheel chocks are the most important.  :twisted:

Next episode: ' two high speed vice grips kill dog and swooping magpie.'

Given the unraveling saga, who is going to stamp on the foot brake? I imagine that all of  hb09 's neighbours have retreated to safety and are locked inside their homes with their children.

:whistler:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@tw2005
A Galant !, a blast from the past.
Remember once at the local street drags:
 A Galant , 265 hemi & 4 speed ( yes, there was a remnant of firewall left), stock diff & wheels and brakes of course.
Lost every race race it entered.  :rofl:  Traction ? !  , what's that !   :rofl:  :rofl:
@nzenigma
Not an A-box, but, bespoke mechanical equipment.

Offline Jack Daniels

• 1st Gear

• fi Finland
You seem like a creative person. If it's just body weight limiting the torque you can apply, then put on a backpack with water bottles inside, or similar. Use oil as you mentioned, if that reduces the required force by 15%.
 A tap will be much better to chase the f. Thread than a used bolt. Maybe you can borrow one. A bolt can be used, but your should grind verticle stripes down the threads so it resembles a tap.  The f. Thread appeared clean, if you can get another similarly galvanised bolt with the same thread in and out by hand it should be OK.
  • 2008 Kia Ceed ED. (FD) hatch 1.4 petrol manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal