i30 Owners Club

2018 i30 SR Premium - Worsening Road Noise

prise · 8 · 8348

Offline prise

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
After only 3 months with my 2018 i30 SR premium I am dismayed at the high level of road noise when driving on the coarse chip surface between Ballarat and Melbourne or up the Hume. Driving to Ballarat today at 110km/h the roar transmitted through the car body was bad enough that I resorted to earplugs. The tyre pressures were spot on the recommended value of 230kPa at the start of the trip according to the TPMS.

Has anyone with the current model i30 SR had success with fitting  different tyres to reduce road noise?
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
After only 3 months with my 2018 i30 SR premium I am dismayed at the high level of road noise when driving on the coarse chip surface between Ballarat and Melbourne or up the Hume. Driving to Ballarat today at 110km/h the roar transmitted through the car body was bad enough that I resorted to earplugs. The tyre pressures were spot on the recommended value of 230kPa at the start of the trip according to the TPMS.

Has anyone with the current model i30 SR had success with fitting  different tyres to reduce road noise?

That's interesting mine were set to the same 34 psi in a non premium SR at a recent service they were adjusted up to 38 which definitely made then noisier. I only set them back to 34 tonight. There are a couple of roads near our house in Tassie that are noisy in any car but at 34 psi mine isn't too bad.  :undecided: The way I'm running up the miles I'll need new tyres in no time (22,500 kms in 9 months)

I will look at some Continental or other quieter tyres next time.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

That's interesting mine were set to the same 34 psi in a non premium SR at a recent service they were adjusted up to 38 which definitely made then noisier. I only set them back to 34 tonight. There are a couple of roads near our house in Tassie that are noisy in any car but at 34 psi mine isn't too bad.  :undecided: The way I'm running up the miles I'll need new tyres in no time (22,500 kms in 9 months)

What's OEM tyres?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What's OEM tyres?

kumho Something Solus 2? ( or something like that) My car is too far way to check!  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Not Hankook Ventus Prime 2?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh yeah that might be them. Part of the problem is the 18" low profile relatively wide tyre... :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Oh yeah that might be them. Part of the problem is the 18" low profile relatively wide tyre... :cool:
Yeah, you don't say......... I hear they're noisy  :mrgreen: :scared:

Sorry. been pretty quiet and a  bit of boredom creeping in :happydance:

Offline prise

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
OEM tyres are Hankook Ventus Prime 225/40R18
  • i30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal