My First Warranty Issue

AlanHo · 8 · 3394

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
For the past three weeks I have noticed that the car is jerking on light throttle - always at between 1750 and 2000 rpm and predominantly when in third gear at about 30 mph. It is as if I am pumping the accelerator pedal up and down. The jerking stops as soon as the engine meets any load such as an incline or when I accelerate. It is intermittent and mainly occurs after the car has not been used for a few hours. Drive the car for 30 minutes or so - and the problem generally goes away.

I have spoken to my dealer who has asked me to bring it in any time the jerking is occurring - but they are a 25 minute drive away and there is a good chance the jerking will have stopped by the time I get there.

I will therefore wait until next week when we are not so busy and leave the car with them overnight so they can do a cold start the following morning.

Any bets they will find no fault codes?.

The problem started half way down the previous tank of fuel and has continued - in fact got worse, after the car was re-filled so I doubt that it is due to poor fuel - but who knows?.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
For the past three weeks I have noticed that the car is jerking on light throttle - always at between 1750 and 2000 rpm and predominantly when in third gear at about 30 mph. It is as if I am pumping the accelerator pedal up and down. The jerking stops as soon as the engine meets any load such as an incline or when I accelerate. It is intermittent and mainly occurs after the car has not been used for a few hours. Drive the car for 30 minutes or so - and the problem generally goes away.

I have spoken to my dealer who has asked me to bring it in any time the jerking is occurring - but they are a 25 minute drive away and there is a good chance the jerking will have stopped by the time I get there.

I will therefore wait until next week when we are not so busy and leave the car with them overnight so they can do a cold start the following morning.

Any bets they will find no fault codes?.

The problem started half way down the previous tank of fuel and has continued - in fact got worse, after the car was re-filled so I doubt that it is due to poor fuel - but who knows?.

If it were 40 years ago Alan I would say 'spray some Water Dispercent forty into the dizzy, check the HT leads and maybe change the plugs'.

Since we're not 40 years past and the inner workings of a modern engine are a bloody mystery to me. 

I don't have a clue  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Good lucik with it tho  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had similar when I had my first i30 i.e. crdi, and the fuel filter light would flicker on for a very very short time.
Have you notice the fuel filter light flickering?

Checked out at dealers and was water in the fuel filter.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My first reaction would be :whsaid: about the water, but I'm unsure if that would clear itself when the engine got warm or loaded.

Let the dealer take a look. If it's consistent it'll happen when they test it from cold.

Didn't you ever get a bluetooth OBD2 dongle, to check fault codes? I thought you did. No matter..
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

My first reaction would be :whsaid: about the water, but I'm unsure if that would clear itself when the engine got warm or loaded.

Let the dealer take a look. If it's consistent it'll happen when they test it from cold.

Didn't you ever get a bluetooth OBD2 dongle, to check fault codes? I thought you did. No matter..

I dingled and dangled about a dongle - but never got round to it....... :head_butt:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KL0I9I/ref=nosim

Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER for ELM327

£4.95 delivered :goodjob:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the link Steve. That one's very cheap - is it too good to be true I ask.

At present I have to remain so focussed on the house refurbishment that I dare not tempt myself with a gadget that will surely distract me from my engineering chores. September onwards may be another story.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Same as mine Alan, it does work, but you need the same app Steve uses, to get anything meaningful out of it. I use a PC and the supplied freeware is  :fum: :fum: .

You could always buy one and put it in a drawer till September.  :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal