i30 Owners Club

Centre panel on instrument cluster flashing

Offline KOGArdMhacha

• 2nd Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Co Armagh
Hi Folks

Hello everyone and thanks for welcoming me into the owners club and forum  :goodjob2:

Driving into work this morning i noticed the info panel in the centre of the cluster was flashing, not completely on and off but flashing and the levels of brightness fluctuating, I am aware this is a known common fault with this model, but.... according to the previous owner and the service manual backs this claim up, this issue has already been rectified with a completely new part,

Surely this couldn't be a reoccurring fault, could it?

Thanks for taking the time to read
  • FD 2011 1.6 CRDi manual Black

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Folks

Hello everyone and thanks for welcoming me into the owners club and forum  :goodjob2:

Driving into work this morning i noticed the info panel in the centre of the cluster was flashing, not completely on and off but flashing and the levels of brightness fluctuating, I am aware this is a known common fault with this model, but.... according to the previous owner and the service manual backs this claim up, this issue has already been rectified with a completely new part,

Surely this couldn't be a reoccurring fault, could it?

A truly Irish conundrum  :mrgreen: ,,..... rectified with a new part ..... a known common fault....a reoccurring fault, .... Yup!  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline KOGArdMhacha

• 2nd Gear

Co Armagh
Thanks for your response (i think)

So what your saying is, the new part which was to fix the known common fault, is in fact still going to be a recurring fault? Have i got that right?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

So what your saying is, the new part which was to fix the known common fault, is in fact still going to be a recurring fault? Have i got that right?

It is fairly common and can recur I think that is what Gary is saying. He's a Kiwi  :snigger:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time something replaced under warranty has failed again (not just with Hyundai's) You have been unlucky though.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The backlight LEDs burn out as far as I can figure. Could be worth writing a letter to Hyundai and see if they come to the party. Likely affects a certain production period and I only say that because I've had 2 2010 clusters go and yet I have  2 , 2008 clusters original and with vastly more mileage as well.

I've managed to refurb one with new LEDs but it's a big job made tricky as you have to dismantle to the board level and then somehow assemble the needles in the original positions maintaining calibration.  Did put up some good images of my work, you just have to try doing a search to find them.

If you decide to track down a used one, pay attention to the part numbers because over here I found a lot of different versions which depend on petrol/diesel, auto/manual, base model  or upspec with trip computer and finally year of production as I found series 2 FD was wired different to the early ones say to early 2010
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline KOGArdMhacha

• 2nd Gear

Co Armagh
Hey, thanks for all the replies, i might try Hyundai and see what they return with, although the car is almost 9 years old i doubt anything will come of it, i can imagine the hassle involved in swapping over for a second hand part, then there is the issue with the sourcing of the correct part, my vehicle is the premium spec with speed limiter and cruise control so i think finding a replacement could prove almost impossible, i think perhaps a refurbishment would be the way to go, here is hoping i can find a company which does this here in Ireland,

Again thanks for all your help

Great forum,

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Yes mate, you seemed to be answering your own question. If it happens in one display its possible to have it reoccur in the replacement.
But re : "known common fault" ...... Known? yes. Common? no.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal