i30 Owners Club

Shiny Red Calipers

CraigB · 12 · 4699

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Spent the day painting my calipers, it's killed my back but she's come up flash me thinks :cool:

I've still got 3/4 of a tin leftover if anyone in close vicinity to me would like to paint theirs :)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Looks pretty good, , not that I'm into that kind of thing. How about a little write up on how you did them, materials used , prep etc for anyone who'd like to DIY :idea: :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not hard to do and everything comes in a kit :link: DUPLICOLOR RED BRAKE CALIPER KIT BCP400 HIGH HEAT PAINT RESTORATION DUPLI-COLOR 9782691640000 | eBay

Get the car on stands and remove all wheels - use the supplied spray can of brake cleaner (one can only did two calipers) plus one extra can from SuperCheap for $7.95 and a toothbrush to give the brakes a good clean, let dry for 10 minutes then gave first coat with supplied 10mm paintbrush - have lunch :bbq1: while waiting one hour for second coat then put wheels back on and put her to sleep back in the garage for paint to fully cure over 24 hours :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks good Craig,  now that is a mod I might do at some stage.   :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Does it come with the wiite/black paint for the N?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does it come with the wiite/black paint for the N?
If the calipers had space to write and I had white paint and a stencil I'd put Brembo on it :D

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I really like the way that the red of the calipers contrasts with the black of the wheels. Well done! :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I really like the way that the red of the calipers contrasts with the black of the wheels. Well done! :goodjob:
Thanks, that was my reasoning for going the red option as black wheels make em pop :)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
look good dude
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black
red and black always pairs well together!

i am just thinking if it's a must to use heat resistant paint, or will regular spray paints work as well? wondering how hot does i30 calipers get to.

i am also thinking of spraying the plastic engine cover with some gloss black and red accents.

Spent the day painting my calipers, it's killed my back but she's come up flash me thinks :cool:

I've still got 3/4 of a tin leftover if anyone in close vicinity to me would like to paint theirs :)

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
i am just thinking if it's a must to use heat resistant paint, or will regular spray paints work as well? wondering how hot does i30 calipers get to.

i am also thinking of spraying the plastic engine cover with some gloss black and red accents.
I'm not sure how hot they could get though I wouldn't think of using anything but the correct paint, if it fades peels or cracks then it's going to be a bugger to clean off.

The ceramic heat paint I've used is really thick which also helps prevent running into areas that shouldn't be painted, you can also purchase as a spray but it's more work involved having to remove the calipers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal