Replaced Tyres on my PD SR with Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Dazzler · 39 · 13158

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to bang on about the the Michelin PS4's but after a couple of hundred kilometres of driving on them in very mixed conditions (wet and slippery today) they are sensational.

My mate was so impressed with his test drive he bought an SR just ordered a set of PS4's for his daily driver (A Kia Cerato Si sedan)

I reckon they make a half a point difference to my rating of the SR. SO I reckon comparing the SR with all the cars I've driven and owned I would have rated it an 8 out of 10 on the Hankooks. With the Michelins I reckon it is now an 8.5 and clearly the best car I've ever owned.

The tyre noise at its worst is now acceptable, which I definitely wouldn't have said before the change.   :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They're definitely one of the best tyres out there, back in September 2017 was when I first started looking at and recommending the PS4's and reviews have been positive ever since :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They're definitely one of the best tyres out there, back in September 2017 was when I first started looking at and recommending the PS4's and reviews have been positive ever since :goodjob2:

Now Mark Webber and Darryl Bailey have endorsed them they should really take off!  :snigger:

Offline Jeff70

• 2nd Gear

• Launceston
Wow!!! Thanks for the mini review on the Michelin's Dazz.
I now know what my next tyre choice will be.

Don't know when though because I've had my SR 18 months and only covered 2500Ks.
  • i30 SR 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow!!! Thanks for the mini review on the Michelin's Dazz.
I now know what my next tyre choice will be.

Don't know when though because I've had my SR 18 months and only covered 2500Ks.

Cheers Jeff! You certainly aren't going to wear it out! I've done that much in 10 days a few times!

Must catch up for a chin wag next time I'm in Lonny (get up these fairly often)  :goodjob:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
 And from what I have read....

The new i30 N-Line that is replacing the SR.   Will come with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as standard....

Looks like a win win on the tyre front for the car..

Pete
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

And from what I have read....

The new i30 N-Line that is replacing the SR.   Will come with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as standard....

Looks like a win win on the tyre front for the car..

Pete

Yes, I saw that. It is really well suited to the i30.  :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Think I've now done about 5000 kilometres since swapping to the Michelins. I just had a complimentary follow-up wheel balance and Alignment by Tyre Solutions here in Devonport. Highly recommended by me (and John Bowe) to anybody who needs tyres on the North West Coast of Tasmania.

Firstly a warning! You will change your driving style with these tyres. We live on a 3 kilometre winding rural road and I now drive it much more aggressively. Since I've had them I haven't had one hairy moment.  :Touch: They are just that predictable.  I'm pretty certain they have increased my fuel consumption slightly though but not sure how much is driving more aggressively and how much is the tyre itself.

My second choice if I hadn't got these was the popular Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003 which my Daughter had on her R34 Skyline and recently put on her Focus ST.

They were around $200 cheaper per set at the time and anyone who knows me well will know I don't pay out more than I have to usually. BUT, as they say you soon forget about the extra cost after the event. I'm thinking I might forget by 2025...

As I've said previously the SR was already possibly the best overall handler in its class/price range so I am surprised how much better it is with the Michelins.

The other crazy thing I have previously alluded to is that despite running 2 PSi more than the Hankooks (36 PSi V 34 PSi cold) they feel more compliant. A little more insulated/ less harsh and slightly quieter too.

So, in summary I strongly recommend that SR owners who can afford to, pay the extra for these tyres when the originals require replacement.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal