i30 Owners Club

Windscreen icing up inside overnight

Offline shillysenior

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Recently bought my 2014 i30 second hand. Previously owned a 2004 Hyundai Coupe and one thing I was looking forward to was the windscreen not icing up inside the car overnight. Put it down to the age of the car and the seals being slightly worn.
Have just had the first couple of cold nights and guess what, my i30 also freezes up inside overnight.
Does this mean it is a Hyundai design fault or has somebody else had this problem and resolved it?i 
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 Active,5 Door Hatch,Petrol 1.4lt,Manual,Black

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
NEVER had any dampness whatsoever in my 2010 i30 Edition.   Try replacing the door seals, or, move further north as the weather here in Manchester is positivly balmy and apparently will be all week.

Seems clear you have water ingress which needs attention  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Both my i30's have always shown dampness on windows, the front being most.

I have done a number of things to try and alleviate but nothing seems to work.

But i have noticed that cold air enters via the air vents on window and if i remember and before turning engine off put the vent to feet i then find not so much damp on front window.

If i park not facing the wind this also seems to help reduce damp and ice on really cold mornings/days on window.

I find the air con defrosts and clears windows quickly....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What happens if you turn the vent over to recycle/close, outside damp air should no longer be able to enter and freeze on the window :undecided:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Damp will always find a way in, i get mist some afternoons, not yet had ice indoors, but I use a preheater in the morning.

If you get into the car and do mostly short trips, the damp from you and your boots/clothes will accumulate. A good tip is always leaving the ac on during the winter, it helps de-humidify the air, as will keeping a higher cabin temp.

Windscreen blast set to high with ac on, car in idle heats the windsheild up fast, even in minus 20c. Helps scrape the ice off the outside, so should clear any on the inside too.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
NEVER had any dampness whatsoever in my 2010 i30 Edition.   Try replacing the door seals, or, move further north as the weather here in Manchester is positivly balmy and apparently will be all week.

Seems clear you have water ingress which needs attention  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I think that using the garage every night helped also  :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I think that using the garage every night helped also  :goodjob:
You need to in manchester as you won't need to worry about damp windows as you'll be on the bus........
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal