i30 Owners Club

Do hospital staff discriminate against riders?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
BY MARK HINCHLIFFE
4 OCT, 2016

Do hospital staff have a prejudice against motorcycle riders because they are seen as careless risk-takers clogging up the health system and does it affect their level of care?

It’s a question worth asking, according to a university professor and a motorcycle clothing supplier.

Deakin University’s Dr Chris Hurren, who is developing new industry standards for motorcycle clothing safety labelling, says he has heard of several incidences of hospital discrimination towards riders.

His remarks follow a crash involving Draggin Jeans CEO Grant Mackintosh and a cyclist in the Adelaide Hills in June.

Grant says he was badly injured and was not aware of any discrimination, but says his wife, Julia, a clinical sister, believed he was treated differently.

“Julia mentioned to me that because I came in as a motorcyclist I was treated quite differently from the guy on the pushbike,” he says.

“It had on my admission report that I was motorcyclist who hit a cyclist.”

(The word “hit” seems to suggest blame on the motorcyclist. Young journalists are taught to use the word “collide” if both parties are moving as it does not imply blame.)

“I got the police report form the accident recently and it said I wasn’t speeding, had no alcohol or drugs in my system and that the cyclist was on wrong side of the road,” Grant says.

Yet he believes those simple words on his admission report may have led to a prejudice against him.

“They (hospital staff) treated Julie and me differently from what they did the cyclist. I think they automatically assume the motorcyclist is always to blame.

“The cyclist and his family were admitted at the same time and he got ushered in and looked after while I was stuck in a room with a screaming kid and not many people very interested in me.”

Recently Grant was talking with Dr Hurren about the new safety labelling standards and was asked if he had experienced any prejudice at hospital.

“I hadn’t really thought about it while I was in hospital as I was more concerned with my condition, but my wife said there was,” Grant says.

“Chris told me it’s not uncommon.”

Dr Hurren agrees that there is the possibility of prejudice against injured motorcycle riders.

“I have had several people mention to me now about discrimination they have received during treatment for a motorcycle accident hence my question to Grant,” he says.

“It is something that I think worth looking into as it would be both uncomfortable for the rider and family in question and could indirectly cause increased health care costs as riders don’t receive the treatment they require in a timely manner.”

He is expecting to start research on the matter, possibly after finalising the safety labelling standards.

Motorbike Writer hospital experiences

My own experiences after two major motorcycle crashes have been extremely different.

On the first occasion I was admitted to emergency with a broken foot after an off-road motorcycle crash.

My wife apologised profusely about my stupidity and the nurses seemed to take it from there, lecturing me and treating me in an off-hand way.

However, once admitted to the ward, I was treated well.

I had the complete opposite experience after a second and more serious crash.

Perhaps it was the fact that the female emergency ward supervisor was a motorcycle rider and the chief surgeon at the time was also a rider.

Not only did I not experience any negative prejudice, but I struck up long conversations with the doctors about riding.

And when I specifically asked if the staff were sick of the number of injured riders causing them extra work, they said it was not as bad as the number of cyclists they attended.

“At least motorcyclists wear protective clothing” one nurse remarked.

Source: :link: Do hospital staff discriminate against riders? - Motorbike Writer

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting! :hatoff:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I work in radiology, any traffic incident severe enough to admit patients into the hospital, we see. We don't care who has done what, if someone is hurt, we diagnose them to our best ability. Motorcyclist, 200kph speeder, substance abusers, the innocent bystanders that got hit by aforementioned, the most hurt gets first dibs on the CT scanners. Luckily the ER-doc has to make that assessment, we just have to give everyone the best exam we can. :)

Its not the hospitals duty to place blame, we treat people and we treat everyone to the best of our ability, we leave the judging for the law to handle. I think this is something all healthcare workers share. Of course there is the oddball who should not be working in healthcare to begin with, but I believe that most healthcare workers leave their prejudices in the lockers with their civilian clothes, and my experience tells me this is true as well.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That makes sense to me.
Professionals are professionals, no matter where they work.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
That sound similar to when I was flying Air Ambulance.  It didn't matter what the patient did to warrant transport in the helicopter, we carried them to their destination with the same care, regardless of their method of requiring our assistance.  It is usually Joe Public that mentions things like "He was surfing, so he should pay for the helicopter rescue".  Fortunately, that isn't how it works.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Its not the hospitals duty to place blame, we treat people and we treat everyone to the best of our ability, we leave the judging for the law to handle. I think this is something all healthcare workers share. Of course there is the oddball who should not be working in healthcare to begin with, but I believe that most healthcare workers leave their prejudices in the lockers with their civilian clothes, and my experience tells me this is true as well.

You're right, it's not their place to place blame, but human nature being what it is, I believe some do.
You only have to see some people's attitude towards motorcyclists on this forum to know this is so.  :winker:

When my ex wife worked as a nurse she told me staff called motorcycles donorcycles...I guess that tells you that some hold motorcyclists in low regard.

While I'm sure the majority of health care workers are professional in their treatment, I'm also sure compassion levels vary for particular patients...

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I think the donorcycle thing stems from a lot of motorcyclists that wear full protection and are in accidents tend to have relatively undamaged organs but get hemorrhages in the brain, good donor candidates. Its a less sudden deceleration getting thrown across the roadway(same for unbelted car drivers, but they usually don't have the decency to wear full leathers) so more organs survive a high speed accident. People who get severely hurt in car accidents have a tendency to get major hemorrhages in the abdominal organs from the sudden stop. Just a theory though.

In Sweden the amount of deaths/injuries per 1000 vehicles is the same for cars and motorcycles nowadays, its mostly a difference in the way the drivers die. Blue is cars and pink is motorcycles:

From the Swedish national statistics bureau.

Why does it looks like it does? I'm clueless about that. I know that most motorcyclists I see on the road daily seem to keep to the speed limit. A lot more cars(proportionally) around here seem to speed, especially small company vans...

I know there has been very much work done by the government to reduce deaths/injures in traffic across board here, but I'd expect the figures to roughly mach up in other western countries too. The decrease in MC deaths/injuries is just to big to be a local thing.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When my ex wife worked as a nurse she told me staff called motorcycles donorcycles...I guess that tells you that some hold motorcyclists in low regard.
I don't think that comment has anything to do with holding motorcyclists in low regard, it's just stating a fact that motorcyclists can be killed easier.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've been riding long enough to know that many people discriminate against motorcyclists so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest if  "donorcycle" was being used in a derogatory fashion. I know from what my ex wife said that it was used as such...  :undecided:

Seems to be backed up by this:
:link: donorcycle - Wiktionary

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've ridden bikes most of my life as well and other than a few dickhead drivers I've never experienced any discrimination, maybe it's your attitude Rusty :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good for you... :goodjob: Doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others though...

As for attitude...my attitude is fine, can you say the same?  :snigger:  :laughter:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As I don't get or see any discrimination I guess I can say my attitude is fine :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal