D Day for Greece tomorrow

eye30 · 9 · 1939

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Anyone like to predict what will happen with the vote tomorrow.

Nobody seems to have any idea how it's going to impact worldwide whatever the vote comes out as.

Got every sympathy for the Greek people and the banks haven't got much left.

Should they say YES or NO?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
An interesting time in Europe.  Do you think that the Greeks now realise that if you don't pay taxes then the Government won't have any money to pay your generous state pensions when you retire early?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:
It was always going to come back to bite them.
I really don't know what they will do. They are very vocal in the street demonstrations but is that the consensus or are they the minority?
My guess is it will be a close win to the "yes" vote for accepting further austerity measures.
Time will tell.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
An interesting time in Europe.  Do you think that the Greeks now realise that if you don't pay taxes then the Government won't have any money to pay your generous state pensions when you retire early?

Their generous pensions have already been cut 3 times ergo they're not all that generous anymore and Angela the Germans wants them the eat shit and die.....

Oh how people have short memories, in 1953 (well within my memory) the Greek finance minister came to the London conference, which conference you ask.  The one 'which was to decide how to deal with the GERMANS and their mega debt.  Guess what, the Greek finance minister sat down with the others and signed papers writing off 50% of all German debt.   

The Germans have been responsible for two world wars I am guessing they could quite easily go for third time lucky  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Oh and yes, I do feel sorry for the ordinary Greek people, ya know, the ones who can't afford to move to London and buy up half of Belgravia  <sigh>

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
We had Greek friends when we lived in Melbourne though my son's football team (soccer).  They told me that their relatives that still lived in Greece were amazed that those that lived in Melbourne paid income tax.  The Greeks in Greece prided themselves on the fact that they avoided paying it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How would you like to be Greek with plenty of cash in the bank and the Govt say you can't have your own money. I would have squirreled my cash out, 12 months ago.

The government's thinking does defy logic though. Economic situations like this, require early intervention to avoid a melt down of the economy. They are so hopelessly in debt that writing off the debt is the only course of action that seems realistically possible. This will damage the economies of those countries / businesses left holding an unrecoverable debt, which will ultimately be passed on and most likely affect all of us to some degree. I suspect the Greek govt had this option in mind right from the start. The question is, will they lean from it, or continue as is and do it again in the future.

BTW, the Oz govt is trying to reign in spending now, rather than be faced with an ugly situation in the future. Always unpopular, but necessary IMO. Look at the backlash we have here, over cutting part pensions for those with AU$1 meg in assets, (not including your home), this is what we call an austerity measure. I know plenty of Greeks who wouldn't be too upset over that.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Their generous pensions have already been cut 3 times ergo they're not all that generous anymore and Angela the Germans wants them the eat shit and die.....

I guess this is true................... BUT.......................... one could argue that they (the Greeks) created the situation by a/ retiring 10 or 15years earlier than most of us and b/ happily receiving their high pensions as long as they were available. And there's still the tax dodging situation. Can't blame the Germans for either of those things.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal