Whale vomit found on Welsh beach set to fetch £7,000 for lucky finder

eye30 · 12 · 3322

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A lump of ambergris found by a dog-walker on an Anglesey beach is expected to fetch a small fortune when it goes under the hammer later this month.

:link: Whale vomit found on Welsh beach set to fetch £7,000 for lucky finder - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
He's "throwing up" whether to sell it or keep it as a souvenir!  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
He's "throwing up" whether to sell it or keep it as a souvenir!  :D

Nah, he's in the UK so he'll be "tossing up".
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So the Brits are a bunch of tossers? :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
So the Brits are a bunch of tossers? :confused:

Yeah, and Aussies are chunder-ists and constantly looking for Hughie (whoever he is): :happydance:

.....although i'm pretty sure a "tosser" refers to some other action.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah, and Aussies are chunder-ists and constantly looking for Hughie (whoever he is): :happydance:
I think you need to get your Aussie info from somewhere else :rolleyes: what in the world is a chunder-ist :confused: and your guess on Hughie is as good as ours " who the hell is he :undecided: "

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I think you need to get your Aussie info from somewhere else :rolleyes: what in the world is a chunder-ist :confused: and your guess on Hughie is as good as ours " who the hell is he :undecided: "

Chunder comes from "Watch under" as the convicts blew their guts over the side of the ships while being taken to their new lodgings in the antipodes. A "chunder-ist" could therefore be seen as someone who has raised this to an art form.

Hughie (or Hewie) is the sound sometimes made while expunging the stomach contents, at speed, of foodstuffs or beverages that are somewhat disagreeable to the palette. Can be confused with someone calling for a friend (named Hughie, Huey or Hewie, obviously)

Both meanings have been used by Aussie comics on telly and in films (most notably Barry Humphries, and, i believe, Barry Crocker).

So, balls out mate, i thought you'd get it. Just sit down, crack a tube and chill.  :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think your colloquialisms are more Americanised than Aussie, never heard of the term Hughie but we do have a comedian named Hughesy.

Crack a tube, I think you mean Tinnie ( can of beer ) :)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I think your colloquialisms are more Americanised than Aussie, never heard of the term Hughie but we do have a comedian named Hughesy.

Crack a tube, I think you mean Tinnie ( can of beer ) :)

Crack a tube is from "The Adventures of Barry McKenzie" from 1972. The film was filled with cans of Fosters and made their name in Pommyland at the time. Just shows how language can evolve, even colloquialisms :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
1972 :faint: I was only 2 years old then :lol: time to move out of the past Dave...nobody use's those phrases anymore and not something I've ever heard my parents or even my grand parents ever say.

Some words and meanings are sometimes different between the west and east of Australia so it's possible "Tube" was eastern terminology as was Fosters beer was also based in the east.

A phrase I first heard when I was 17 from some people I'd met whom had just moved from the east was "grouse" not something I'd ever heard of before in the manner in which they meant it but found out it meant good/great ( and not the bird ) :wink:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
 :goodjob: That's probably it then.  :happydance:

Showing my age there. I was 13 or 14 when i saw the film.  Dame Edna was just plain Aunt Edna then. How time flies.......

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hughie (or Hewie) is the sound sometimes made while expunging the stomach contents, at speed, of foodstuffs or beverages that are somewhat disagreeable to the palette. Can be confused with someone calling for a friend (named Hughie, Huey or Hewie, obviously)

We call out "Ralph" these days...  :lol:
I believe "Huey" to be a Rain God as I recall people saying "send it down, Huey" when it has been bucketing down rain...  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal