i30 Owners Club

Airbag light on and horn not working after clockspring change

Gav · 24 · 11448

Offline Gav

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
hello all,

changed my steering wheel and clock spring but now my horn dosent work and my airbag light stays on. any ideas. all help is much appreciated
  • 2008 Hyundai i30 crdi 1.6 manual white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi gav,

Sounds very much like you either  missed reconnecting something or have your wires crossed. Hopefully not the wrong wiring loom ( because when you swap the clock spring I think some have mentioned a different wiring loom as well) but I haven't done it myself.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
hello all,

changed my steering wheel and clock spring but now my horn dosent work and my airbag light stays on. any ideas. all help is much appreciated

Did you turn the ignition on with the airbag disconnected?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can you also give more detailed information.

For example:

Have you changed from the standard vinyl wheel to the leather one and at the same time used the clock spring associated with that and added anything like volume controls or what??

Pictures??

Offline Gav

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
yes i did turn on the ignition with out the airbag. i swaped from vinal to lether and installed the volume controls with a clockspring from a i30 with the controls all standard

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
yes i did turn on the ignition with out the airbag. i swaped from vinal to lether and installed the volume controls with a clockspring from a i30 with the controls all standard
Sorry mate had to duck out for a sink plug.

So chances are the system had now logged an error and generally anything of that nature a normal scanner can not reset. May need the dealer to do so.

DId you notice the difference in wiring and earth strap setup difference?  How's the photos coming along? If you post up the current setup I may spot the problem. malso was the clock spring centred or was it removed out and refitted without rotating the clock?

Offline Gav

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
What do you need photos of? The car wheels were straight when the clockspring was removed

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh, and you have the battery disconected when playing around with the Air Bag?

Disconnect the battery negative cable and wait at least three minutes before beginning work.

Remove the two airbag module mounting bolts

Seperate the airbag module from the steering wheel after disconnecting the connector(C), with removing airbag module connector locking pin after removing the wiring fixing clip

Disconnec

Disconnect the clock spring and steering remocon switch connector, then remove the clock spring the horn connector

Remove the steering wheel and steering wheel column cover. (Refer to the Steering System group-Steering column and shaft)

INSTALLATION

Center the front wheels and remove the ignition key. Failure to do so may damage SRS system inoperative, risking serious driver injury.

1. Remove ignition key from the vehicle.
2. Disconnect the negative (-) cable from battery and wait for at least three minutes.
3. Connect the clock spring harness connetor and steering remocon switch harness connector to the clock spring.
4. Set the center position by getting marks between the clock spring and the cover into line. Make an array the mark (▶ ◀) by turning the clock spring clockwise to the stop and then 3 revolutions counterclockwise.
5. Install the steering wheel column cover and the steering wheel. (Refer to the Steering System group-Steering column and shaft)
6. Connect the Driver Airbag (DAB) module connector and horn connector, then install the Driver Airbag (DAB) module on the steering wheel.
7. Secure the Driver Airbag (DAB) with the new mounting bolts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tightening Torque (DAB Mounting Bolt)
: 0.8 ~ 1.1 kgf.m (7.9 ~ 10.8 Nm, 5.8 ~ 8.0 lb.ft)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Connect the battery negative cable.
9. After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation:
A. Turn the ignition switch ON; the SRS indicator light should be turned on for about six seconds and then go off.
B. Make sure horn button works.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What do you need photos of? The car wheels were straight when the clockspring was removed

Just the cabling, I did this last week, no issues but what I've referred to as the earth strap is actually the horn press, that was different slightly with the harness.

wish I kept photos of everything I do but once i start on something, it's hammer and tongs till I finish.

I made the mistake of removing a wheel and turning ignition on in an Astra. Dealer tool need to clear fault however lucky chinese did cheap knock off of dealer tool so did it myself. I assume most cars will want a dealer to check the SRS system is safe before clearing. Don't know if it will operate with that lit, probably not

Offline Gav

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hello

I couldn't get any photos but all the plugs are plugged in

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hello

Including the two connectors on the underside of the clock spring?

Offline Gav

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hello

Including the two connectors on the underside of the clock spring?
Yeah triple checked them

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If the horn was working before and the air bag module is the original which includes the horn press then the problem lays within the work you have done or defective clock spring wiring. I assume fuses have been checked. It would be unlucky for that to coincidentally blow at the same time.

You could reverse what you have done and confirm it is as it was and try again. I don't expect the airbag light to extinguish without a diagnostic tool to clear.

I can't help anymore

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If the horn was working before and the air bag module is the original which includes the horn press then the problem lays within the work you have done or defective clock spring wiring. I assume fuses have been checked. It would be unlucky for that to coincidentally blow at the same time.

You could reverse what you have done and confirm it is as it was and try again. I don't expect the airbag light to extinguish without a diagnostic tool to clear.

I can't help anymore

Taking logical thinking to its logical conclusion be it precise or erroneous .   :goodjob2:

As Tw says, reverse the procedure and see what happens.

Regarding the light on,  no tools needed, on the i30 it goes out when everything is connected correctly. 
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I can't help anymore

Taking logical thinking to its logical conclusion be it precise or erroneous .   :goodjob2:

As Tw says, reverse the procedure and see what happens.

Regarding the light on,  no tools needed, on the i30 it goes out when everything is connected correctly.

Thanks for the update. handy to know it clears itself. :goodjob2:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
PS. All bets off if old mate manages to blow the bags.  :wacko:

In that case the light WILL stay on,......and when he gets out of hospital he can get the crash module reprogrammed near Dreamworld.
 :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just happened to be into my car.

The horn won't work isf the air bag module is unscrewed as it provides the earth cct when the horn press makes contact

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd say you're well and truly into your car. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'd say you're well and truly into your car. :whistler:

Lets just say the beginning of yet another misdiagnosis of failed coupler bush causing a rattle. Was perfect again! :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Was perfect again!  :crazy1:
Did you check the wheel nuts? :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Was perfect again!  :crazy1:
Did you check the wheel nuts? :crazy1:
Yes, I think it's the nut behind the wheel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Glad to see that we are all having a perfect weekend  :confused: :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal