i30 Owners Club

Couple of things done to my SR

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Done a couple of things this morning to the SR..     With plenty of more things to come..

1st up I ordered some LED lights to replace the interior lights & rear number plate lights. As they are the same globes.
Gives a lot cleaner white light, which I prefer.  A link to the ones that I got.
:link: 2x W3W W5W W10W W16W T10 501 ERROR FREE CANBUS 5 SMD XENON WHITE W5W 501 BULB | eBay

Then I fully covered the car in drop sheets & newspaper.   Plenty on masking tape around the front emblem to block any paint getting where I don't want it.
A few coats of etching primer. The the top coat of Acrylic Satin Black. Quite a few coats of the black.  Again I prefer the black over the chrome look.

Then I started the beginnings of an amp rank for the stereo install.  Measuring & cutting some 9mm mdf that will come the base.
Then laying out how the amps & electronic crossover is going to sit..   With the amps being the size that they are. Looks like the angle is going to have to work.
I will end up doing a completely separate posting on the complete stereo install.

• PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that! You certainly didn't cut any corners with your masking!  :Shocked:

So with the globes if I want to do the same as you did I need to order 2 sets of 2?

Are they easy to get to to swap?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Solid effort on the masking, I did not do 1/3rd of that !

Please do get onto the audio install thread.

• 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
The lights are really easy to change. You will need 4 globes in total. So yes 2 of what I linked to eBay.
If you also wish to change the centre interior globe. You only need 1 globe. Here is the link to eBay as well
:link: 4pcs Canbus 31mm Festoon 6SMD 5630 LED Car Interior Dome Map Light Bulb Globe | eBay

The rear licence plate holders just clip out with a flat screwdriver. Then the globe holder just twists from that. Pull out the globe & fit in the LED globe.
LED globes will only work one way.  As there is a positive & negative side. So just make sure you check that they are working before clipping them back in.

With the interior lights. I uses a small flat screwdriver on the inside edge to unclip the cover. Then pull out globe & slot the new LED in.

I wanted to make sure NO overspray got anywhere on the car. Plus for only a couple of bucks for cheap plastic drop sheets.
I would also like to do something about the chrome trim around the front grill.  But I would rather use some sort of vinyl wrap rather than paint.
Would be a bit more long lasting I think..     Still waiting on the cabling kit to arrive. So I can start work on the stereo.
I'm going to get all the amps wired up & installed before I start on installing the front speakers..  So than at least I'v still got radio in the car..
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Pete,

Much appreciated!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I didn't even realise the link for the centre interior globe was for 4 piece! They came 1st so I swapped my Dome light and my boot light (seems the same) and Trish's Tourer Boot globe as well. If she likes the difference in mine then I'll order a couple more of the others for her car and use the 4th one for her centre interior light.

Wow, brighter and heaps nicer light (should have done it ages ago!)  :head_butt:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I didn't even realise the link for the centre interior globe was for 4 piece! They came 1st so I swapped my Dome light and my boot light (seems the same) and Trish's Tourer Boot globe as well. If she likes the difference in mine then I'll order a couple more of the others for her car and use the 4th one for her centre interior light.

Wow, brighter and heaps nicer light (should have done it ages ago!)  :head_butt:
I just did my interiors a couple of days ago too :) used the new 7020 bulbs :link: 4X 12V 31MM FESTOON 7020 4 LED CAR UTE 4WD INTERIOR DOME MAP LIGHT BULB GLOBE | eBay 31mm festoons for boot - interior, still need to do the T10 in the glovebox.

The rear license T10 bulbs and T10 park lights I already did a few years ago.

Offline ctwd128

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
just wondering how you managed to get the interior light covers off?
i've tried with a small flat screwdriver at a number of spots but dont seem to work.

• Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

just wondering how you managed to get the interior light covers off?
i've tried with a small flat screwdriver at a number of spots but dont seem to work.

These covers pivot on two clips at the end opposite to the end you push to turn them on. If you push them you will see where they pivot. I found the easiest way was to use a small flat driver adjacent to where the cover pivots. first on one side then the other. Be firm but gentle if that makes sense. My car is in the repairers for a week or so, so I can't check it right now, but I think the pivot point is about a centimetre from the end opposite to where you push.  :cool:

Is yours the FD (first series) SR they look slightly different to mine. Just a quick picture I took of mine when i did them showing the difference (heaps better with LED)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal