i30 Owners Club

Tyres i30

tweety · 27 · 7537

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
 I run 205/65R15 tyres and have done so for 150,000 of the 304,000km I've travelled.

I think from memory the original tyre was 185/65R15.

The 205/65R15 tyre and subsequent rim fits easily in the spare tyre wheel well.

The difference in circumference is a little over 4%. Meaning the wheel at 100kph turns 4% less so revs are 4% less also.

This results also in the speedo being more accurate according to VicRoads speed indicator signs and my calculations at the time using km roadside pegs.

The bonus is also 4% less rpm for a given speed ( say 100 rpm @ 100kph) , 4% better fuel economy ( I used to travel 60,000km a year = $ 160 a year savings) and 4% more kms out of your tyres (2000kms) and 20mm more rubber on the road (width). I'm not one that normally alters manufacturers spec but this one seems a win win win all round.

The new tyre size is a common size also.
  • i30 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You should have no difference in circumference as both tyres you've stated " 185 & 205 " are still 65 x 15, the only difference would be from the very slightly reduced circumference of the worn tread to the new tyre tread.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
You should have no difference in circumference as both tyres you've stated " 185 & 205 " are still 65 x 15, the only difference would be from the very slightly reduced circumference of the worn tread to the new tyre tread.

The height of the tyre is not same. The 65 is the % of side height divided by the width of the tyre. Therefore the height of the tyre with 185 width should be 120.25mm and with 205 width it should be 133.25. This height difference causes approx 4% change in the diameter of the tyre as tweety mentioned.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Tweety, given that you say you had 185s originally, unlesss you've changed them, you have 5.5 inch wide rims.
If so, I'm pretty sure a 205 is  an illegal fitment.
Far too much flex in the sidewall in an emergency.
that much extra width would possibly also magnify your wear problem.
A 205/65R15 needs a 6" rim minimum.
They seem to be working for you though. But insurance "might" be a problem.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW. Sundiz is correct.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought the original tyre on the i30 was 195? At least it was on my 2 FD i30s
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I just had to go out and check my tyre sizes as the report from my last service showed my new tyres as 215,55,16. Though they are 205,55,16 so same as old ones. Had me worried for a moment there.  :scared:

Though those are 16 inch rims. The 15 inch ones were either 185 or 195 in the UK, I'd be a bit concerned about insurance claims if the tyre place had fitted 215s on my car. :)

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Guys my memory isn't good and it could be 195's as original.

Good point about insurance and tyre wear..

• i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
185s were fitted in some markets, maybe the UK?
Mostly 195s in Oz but I sem to remember an occasional member saying they had 185s. Probably the earliest models.
Mine is 2009 and had 195s standard on 5.5 rims.

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
VicRoads here in Victoria allow only 15% diameter increase of tyre from standard.

I read my tag insie my drivers door and it said tyres stockare 195/65R15

diameter of 195/65R15 = 634.5mm

diameter of 205/65R15 = 647.5mm   difference = 13mm = legal.

Done  a lot of reading on the net and 20mm wider with tyres isn't illegal as long as they don't scrape on any guards. The tyre doesn't look excessively wide compared to the rim and better protects wheel covers.

Tony
  • i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Vehicle, tyre and wheel manufacturers adhere to the Australian Tyre and Rim Association manual.
So  do state registration authorities,  insurance companies and the Australian Design Rules.

As I said,  they obviously work for you, but the legal aspect of fitting a tyre on a rim outside it's allowable rim range remains.

It's not a height isuue, nor a load or speed index  issue. It's simply about the beads of the tyre, being too close together in relation to what it's designed for.

TBH, I'm surprised BJs went along with it, or at least, didn't mention it.

There are plenty of vehicles on the road with much more severe issue. But it would have been remiss of me not to have let you know.

And the extra width without the designed sidewall support would, definitely allow the tyre to distort enough, given the excessive camber, to accentuate the wear problem.

Can you confirm the actual camber figures for me?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW, your first line above reads 15%. It should be 15mm as you've said further down.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
My 2008 have a type approval with both 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 on 5,5" rims

Alternative sizes are 205/55-16  on 6" rims or 225/45-17 on 7" rims
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 17:17:13 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I don't know if it is just me, but the 195/65-15 looks too much like donuts on the i30 stock rims. They look like toy or cartoon wheels. The rim could be wider. I had 7x15 rims with the same size tyre on other car. The tyres looked much better on 7 inch wide rims as the rim width was much closer to the width of the tyre.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't know if it is just me, but the 195/65-15 looks too much like donuts on the i30 stock rims. They look like toy or cartoon wheels. The rim could be wider. I had 7x15 rims with the same size tyre on other car. The tyres looked much better on 7 inch wide rims as the rim width was much closer to the width of the tyre.

There is such a thing as a "design rim size" applicable to every tyre size. For the 195/65R15 it is 6". It can legally  be fitted to the rim range 5.5 tp 7.0 so your fitment is legal.
I'm away from home and only have my tablet hich is a pain to type on. Sometime over the next couple of days I'll start a thread explaining more fully the positive and negative effect of correct or incorrect rim and tyre fitment.

It's been difficult explaining to Tony  (tweety) what I mean due to the limitations of the 7" tablet so, bear with me and I'll get back to you.

Trev

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just a heads up to some of our newer members, Trevor had something like 35 years in the tyre industry including many years managing various Goodyear Service centres.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
While we wait for Trev to get that info here is the figures for the wheel alignment

Previous                               Final values

Front wheels                             LH              RH                        LH              RH                         

Camber                                        -1.20'         -00.20'                 -1.20'            -00.30'

Castor                                          +5.20        +5.30'                  +5.20           +5.30'

Rear Wheels

Camber                                        -2.10'         -1.00                    +00.5'         +00.5'

2.00 means 2 degrees. Havent got a little zero for the degrees on my keyboard. Cheers                 
  • i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
On a keyboard, try alt 0176
Should give you a °

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Didn't work but got onto google and copied and pasted.  °     :wink:  thanks surferdude
  • i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

There is such a thing as a "design rim size" applicable to every tyre size. For the 195/65R15 it is 6". It can legally  be fitted to the rim range 5.5 tp 7.0 so your fitment is legal.
I'm away from home and only have my tablet hich is a pain to type on. Sometime over the next couple of days I'll start a thread explaining more fully the positive and negative effect of correct or incorrect rim and tyre fitment.

It's been difficult explaining to Tony  (tweety) what I mean due to the limitations of the 7" tablet so, bear with me and I'll get back to you.

Trev

OK guys. I haven't forgotten about this. I'm working on it.
Just back from 7 days of scrub clearing (including 30+ year old bougainvillea) on a 15' high bank along the front of my son's house in Brisbane.  Give me another day or so.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You recovered yet, Trev?  :whistler:
Yep. Why?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, 3 weeks ago you did say "give me another day or so"...  :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Like this? I even stickied it.  :crazy1:

:link: TYRE AND RIM INFORMATION

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
" Sometime over the next couple of days I'll start a thread explaining more fully the positive and negative effect of correct or incorrect rim and tyre fitment."

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Like this? I even stickied it.  :crazy1:

:link: TYRE AND RIM INFORMATION

Some kind of reference and a link to the stickied thread would have made that clear...  :wink:  :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What part of "I'll start a thread" did you have  trouble with?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal