Catalyzed Particulate Filter

eye30 · 78 · 35815

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Can't find the original posting so must be on previous site.

Anyway answer we have all been waiting for:

Called in to dealer today.
They confirmed that my car does have a CPF and need to use fully synthetic oil
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Eye...

But.. does that mean the Aussie ones do too?
 :?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Thanks for that Eye...

But.. does that mean the Aussie ones do too?
 :?

Yup, according to the exhaust place that made the rear system on mine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks, I get a bit particulate about things like that... :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hi Thumper,
Thanks for confirmation.

Picture of the CPF is exactly the same on mine. So Oz and UK same.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Yup - Hyundai CS in the UK confirm that the 2.0 diesel has a CPF and it is included in the service schedule.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
I've just found this online, from an official Hyundai document -

"Development of Environmentally Friendly Engine Technology

Ultra Low Exhaust Gas Diesel Engines for Passenger Cars

In 2006, HMC developed a high power, low-noise, CPF (Catalyzed Particulate Filter) embedded, Euro IV-compliant environmentally friendly diesel engine for passenger cars. The commercialization of this engine allowed HMC to secure competitive advantage in diesel passenger cars market in the EU. This engine features a high performance with an exhaust gas purifying level of over 90%. The catalyzed particulate diesel filter helps cut exhaust emissions dramatically and is strong enough to tolerate the intense heat generated in this process. Also, additional additives-supply systems were no longer required,
inherently eliminating the needs for cleaning and changing the filter, resulting in reduction in maintenance cost and increase in durability and reliability. HMC was awarded a IR52 Jang, Youngsil Award in 2006 for this exceptional engine and will continue to comply with the Euro V standards."

Link deleted, because it just came out as a load of oriental writing!

It doesn't say precisely which diesel engines are fitted with it, but if you've got one it's good to know that the filter is more maintenance-free than others.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for confirmation.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks Geoff - good post & useful info :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's a public Holiday here on Monday, but on Tuesday morning I'll ring up my dealer again to see if he's got a definate answer re: Aussie Diesels.

Also still chasing Hyundai Aus direct as to confirmation of their previous correspondence saying no CPF in Australian Diesel i30... :roll:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Confirmed today, my vehicle has a CPF. Was pointed out to me by the Hyundai mechanic doing the service.

I'll rip the bloody thing off and take photos inside the pipe when I get a chance to see if it's gutted, or fully functioning.

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I guess that it will take  Photographs of the Filter Matrix,(If there is one in that box) to persuade Hyundai AU to come clean or alternatively ask Hyundai HQ what is actually included in the CRDi exhaust.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "Thumper"
Confirmed today, my vehicle has a CPF. Was pointed out to me by the Hyundai mechanic doing the service.

I'll rip the bloody thing off and take photos inside the pipe when I get a chance to see if it's gutted, or fully functioning.

How did he know m8? like Hyundai told Dazz they don't have them, did he have written service proof or was he just guessing?
i just guessed it probably was and most people who take a look say thats what it is, but if Hyundai say it's not, then one of the service team at a dealer say it is. i wonder why no written proof on my car anywere and why they told Dazz they have not got them? bit confuseing don't you think?
PS what brand of oil did they use m8?

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
What makes me curious is whether the CPF would be the difference between the crdi meeting euro 3 or 4 specs.  Currently HMCA only claim euro 3 for the crdi.  The petrol is the same but is being upgraded to euro 4 specs with the upcoming refresh (that makes ESP standard and adds CC to the slx diesel).  Almost sounds like there is a possibility that Oz crdi is euro 4 but HMCA don't realise it (unlikely I know..)

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Davet,

Your observation is curious. Where have you seen that Hyundai Australia only claim EURO3 for the CRDi.

According to my email exchange with Hyundai AU the CRDi complies with the Australian Design Rules. The emission figures quoted previously do comply with EURO4 which was in force under the ADR requirements when the i30 was launched.

If they have found a way to wriggle out of EURO4 I for one would like to know.

PLEASE will someone probe and Photograph the innards of that box which appears to be a Particulate Filter..

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
Sorry my mistake - Oz standard for diesel cars is indeed euro 4, it is only petrol where the standard is currently euro 3 (transition to euro 4 mid 2008).

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Australia only has 20 million people not all drive cars. thats about the population of the state of texas USA.
Whats the population of GB?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Lakes"
Australia only has 20 million people not all drive cars. thats about the population of the state of texas USA.
Whats the population of GB?

In mid-2007 the resident population of the UK was 61 million.

The number of people aged 17 plus, driving age, is circa 48 million

The number of vehicles on UK roads is circa 35million of which circa 27 million are cars.

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
mmh, methinks there is no particle filter on the Australian delivery cars.

Why, you ask?

Well I also run a Citoen C4hdi, and that I know for sure has a "filtre a particules".
What I also noticed is that the tail pipe is absolutly clean on the Cit, whilst on the i30 the tail pipe is black with soot.

So QED the i30 has no particle filter as the sooty tail pipe is a dead give away.

Discuss

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is it the Tucson that is the only Hyundai in Australia that officially has a CPF/DPF? Would be interesting to have a look at the exhaust on a recent model Tucson to see how black it is.  :idea:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Dazz,

I think you will find that it is the 2.2L CRDi Santa Fe that has the CPF. The Tucson is not available here as a deisel though its identical twin, the Kia Sportage does come in a 2.0L Deisel. I dont know if the Sportage has a particle filter though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

Eyma Wrong and you are right.... It is the Sante Fe I got confused (So it is a Sante Fe diesel's exhaust we need to check out!)

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All,

The comparison made by CRM114 between the clean exhaust "tail Pipes" of his Citroen C4hdi and the i30 set me off again. (Does not take much does it?? :mrgreen:

I am fairly certain that C4 uses the same PSA particulates filter as my UK Mazda3 1.6 Diesel. Same engine of course.

Some thoughts (OK Guesswork  :roll:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "CRM114"
mmh, methinks there is no particle filter on the Australian delivery cars.

Why, you ask?

Well I also run a Citoen C4hdi, and that I know for sure has a "filtre a particules".
What I also noticed is that the tail pipe is absolutly clean on the Cit, whilst on the i30 the tail pipe is black with soot.

So QED the i30 has no particle filter as the sooty tail pipe is a dead give away.

Discuss

There are a few different types of partical filters for diesel's the one the i30 has looks like a catalist converter, and they call it a CPF.
i talked to a diesel expert he did not seem to like the filters as said they have made a lot of diesels use a lot more fuel and in some cases give more problems. but the i30 we have here only uses a small 1.6 motor and economy as we have seen is very good, i never see smoke come out my pipe, so thats something. what brand of fuel do you like to use?
also have you ever thought that maybe the burnt diesel gas's do not come out of the tail pipe and they exit before that? you could check by blocking the tail pipe with something and seeing if it gets blown out when the motor starts.

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Lakes,
I am puzzled by the comments of the expert you talked to.
i talked to a diesel expert he did not seem to like the filters as said they have made a lot of diesels use a lot more fuel and in some cases give more problems.
Is he or she an expert on the modern  Electronic controlled, Common Rail,Turbo small Diesel engines or perhaps someone who works with the old technology used in Naturally Aspirated heavy Transport Diesels? Or Both?

I ask because when I researched modern Diesels before buying my first CR Diesel I was unable to find any information that suggested that Particulate Filters used on CR Diesel cars can cause a problem on cars that make it into production. Do you know of any reports that I might have missed? As you pointed out the i30 CRDi delivers great fuel economy just like all the Common Rail Turbo Diesels on the road. Some, of course, are a bit better than others. Common Rail Turbos do seem to improve with every new model launched.

During my pre-purchase search I did find reports that retro fitting a filter to an old technology naturally aspirated diesel had its challenges.

The burn achieved with the multiple injections of a Common Rail System is more complete and inherently so much cleaner than the burn produced with the simpler technology of old. Because of that "Clean Burn"  the task required from the particulate filter is much easier to accomplish. Judging by the filthy exhausts from Trucks that I see on Australian roads I guess that there might still be a lot of Naturally Aspirated Diesels in use.

What do you think Lakes?

PS Should anyone reading this not know much about Common Rail Diesels and be a bit curious a good place to start would be here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Rail_Diesel If You really want to learn about Diesels try this starting point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine That should slow down any one new to Diesels. :D [/color]

Offline donc

• 3rd Gear
This is an informative thread, especially for an old 'petrol head' like me who wouldn't consider a diesel for anything smaller than a road-train or one of the toy trucks driving around outside my window at work - eg: http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/upl ... -truck.jpg

- in fact to me a real diesel usually looks more like this: http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/ !!!

But... and even accepting that despite Bunyips protestations ( :-) ) common rail diesel really isn't technically 'newer' than other diesel configurations, nor is it technically more advanced that diesels used in large machinery... it's just one of several fuel provision options on diesel engines; the choice of which depends on a range of engine design variables (common rail simply refers to a single pressure cylinder used to provide fuel to the injectors - the concept has been around since the late '60's).

So the big... but... as I drive up and down mountainous terrain and see these little diesels keep up with me on the steepest hills... and even better, being overtaken by a tri-prime road train nearly 170 ton on the road... OK... diesels are definitely better nowadays!!! (even if they do need turbo-chargers to really compete with their ULP counterparts)

So what do you blokes really think of them? - Is a small improvement in fuel economy worth the downsides of diesel? - Are you in love with them? - or are they really quirky but with a 'nice to feel green' feeling about them?

In short, are these little diesels worth the money?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "TheBunyip"
Hi Lakes,
I am puzzled by the comments of the expert you talked to.
i talked to a diesel expert he did not seem to like the filters as said they have made a lot of diesels use a lot more fuel and in some cases give more problems.
Is he or she an expert on the modern  Electronic controlled, Common Rail,Turbo small Diesel engines or perhaps someone who works with the old technology used in Naturally Aspirated heavy Transport Diesels? Or Both?

I ask because when I researched modern Diesels before buying my first CR Diesel I was unable to find any information that suggested that Particulate Filters used on CR Diesel cars can cause a problem on cars that make it into production. Do you know of any reports that I might have missed? As you pointed out the i30 CRDi delivers great fuel economy just like all the Common Rail Turbo Diesels on the road. Some, of course, are a bit better than others. Common Rail Turbos do seem to improve with every new model launched.

During my pre-purchase search I did find reports that retro fitting a filter to an old technology naturally aspirated diesel had its challenges.

The burn achieved with the multiple injections of a Common Rail System is more complete and inherently so much cleaner than the burn produced with the simpler technology of old. Because of that "Clean Burn"  the task required from the particulate filter is much easier to accomplish. Judging by the filthy exhausts from Trucks that I see on Australian roads I guess that there might still be a lot of Naturally Aspirated Diesels in use.

What do you think Lakes?

PS Should anyone reading this not know much about Common Rail Diesels and be a bit curious a good place to start would be here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Rail_Diesel If You really want to learn about Diesels try this starting point. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine That should slow down any one new to Diesels. ;)

Bunyip, one of the Trucks i drive sometimes is the oldstyle Diesel blows smoke but not bad, if they blow smoke for 14 seconds or longer you get finned out here, a big fleet service company services them and they run well i like the oldstyle slow but they pull from right down low, just have to know how to drive them.
Or are you talking about the one's that needed eather to start cold?
Cheers

Offline donc

• 3rd Gear
Also hear what you are saying Lakes - Is there a thread on 'why I prefer... (diesel or petrol)' ... will take a look, and if not maybe start one. I think there are lots or pro's and con's for both - would be interesting to hear what people think and why they chose what they did...

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Donc,

There is a poll, petrol or deisel which also invites discussion.
A fresh thread on the subject sounds good though. :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal